Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Timkin Unit Bearing...

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  scagle1 
#1 · (Edited)
Timken Unit Bearing...

I've replaced quite a few unit bearings over the years, on my own rigs and others...

I can honestly say I have never installed a Timken set...

Do they cost more... Yes...

Are they worth it??? I used to think not, but after installing one this weekend, without a doubt they ARE!

With the aftermarket ones, they require you to reuse your old studs (not wheel but the unit itself), and supply a new O-ring... The Timken comes with all of this.

The pure quality of the unit is visually apparent...

BTW, I pushed this last one a little too far, I think that last 400 miles was on borrowed time. Right front had over an inch of movement top to bottom...

#2 ·
Timken makes some good stuff.

I get a good discount on their parts so I will be getting them when the time comes.

#10 ·
Time will tell... The last one's I bought from Rock Auto lasted about 70k with 37's, 100mph, snow, rain, mud...

These look to be 10 times the unit.

#14 ·
I'm at over 300k... The drivers side has been replaced once at Les Schwab...

The passenger side has been done 4 times now... Only this time I used Timken.

#15 ·
I thought I would chime back in as I misspoke previously. My first two sets were SKF, I thought I had used Timken but when I looked at my receipts I realized that it was the latest set that I switched to Timken. Just didn't want to leave mis-information posted.

#16 ·
spend the extra money and get the dynotrac free spin kit and you will never have to worry about unit bearings again...

#18 ·
spaextra money and get the dynotrac free spin kit and you will never have to worry about unit bearings again...
That kit is pretty awesome but really..

Its around 15-1700$ isn't it? That's like 3 sets of wheel bearings.

I have an OBS D60 and I'm going to run a spacer so rather than put my knuckles on I may just use the old axle with an adapter. Just not sure if the brakes are going to be good enough

#21 ·
I can get the kit for $1750 but that's not the point. If your going to run unit bearings Timkin's are the way to go, but if you are running real large tires and offset rims then spend your money on something that will last and is serviceable...

#23 ·
honestly unit bearings are good for up to 35's after that they cant take it. There are other things that come in to play also like driving style, terrain and rim offset is a major factor...

#24 ·
You make it sound like they won't last 10k with 37's. There is hundreds of guys that prove that completely wrong. I'm at about 100 000 on timkens and the truck has been on 37's the whole time. Its off road in the fields almost as much as its on

Obviously they are going to wear faster on 37's but properly installed quality bearings will last more than long enough to never ever make up the cost of that kit.

#25 ·
I second that , spent 3 years on 37's , had one wheel bearing go out shortly after purchase and lift install so it was already heading that way. Serviceable would be nice from factory but they didn't and $1700 is a lot to drop for a bet that you will be replacing the Timkens 4 times or a lesser bearing even more.
If bearings need replacing and you have the extra money laying around for dynatrac , then by all means , upgrade. I'd love a set but have other wants on it and for that price will choose to do a replacement here and there when needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.