Help... Banks Ottomind? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Mud-Nut
Help... Banks Ottomind?

Hi there... As some of you know, I just bought a 2001 SD. The guy that owned the truck before me didn't seem to know much details about the truck. You guys already helped me figure out what kind of lift was installed on the truck. Now I need some more help....

I know for a fact that the truck has a Banks exhaust on it. But that's about all I know from my inspection.

But I found some sort of chip that was in the center console. It's a Banks OttoMind engine calibration module. Serial No. 011115, and on the back side of it, it says PowerPack 66504 PMT1.

It says on the front side, to only use with Banks system components.

My question is, what are all these components that I may have on my truck??? I know I have an exhaust on the truck, but I want to make sure I have everything else?

And I'd like to get a set of instructions for this chip... Could you get me a copy? I don't really know much about this???

Do you guys recommend I plug this thing in? Or just leave it out?

Let me know any information I could use... Thanks guys!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Banned

Get a pic of under the hood, specificly the exhaust side of the turbo and the wastegate rod.

Does it have gauges?

There are no directions for the chip, its a single pos chip, I would bet a 60hp program.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Its mild power increase chip from Banks. Made for towing. IIRC its 40 to 60 hp increase. The PMT 1 code on it tells me it should be the one for your truck
Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

YEAH plug it in!! my old 7.3 had the banks ottomind chip and i put a tunner on top of it, worked well. The dude before you probly had the bighoss bundle installed check for bighoss waist gate on the turbo and maybe an optional larger inter-cooler to make sure. then if u look underneath somewhere buy the tranny he may have had a banks trans command installed also. if not these will all work well together! one more thing the chip is mapped around ur cpu so it will not be compatible with other strokers! hope this shed a lil light on the situation.
p.s. I had a ton more mods on my 2000 7.3 so if u want some ideas or have any questions you know where to find me
Old 10-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Get a pic of under the hood, specificly the exhaust side of the turbo and the wastegate rod.

Does it have gauges?

There are no directions for the chip, its a single pos chip, I would bet a 60hp program.
Alright.... I'll take pics tomorrow.

It doesn't have gauges.... I want to get a set of gauges though.

To be completely honest with you, I don't even know where the chip plugs in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Its mild power increase chip from Banks. Made for towing. IIRC its 40 to 60 hp increase. The PMT 1 code on it tells me it should be the one for your truck
Good to know it's suppose to be for my truck.... But I'm wondering why it was in the center console, and not plugged in? Hmmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by durawut View Post
YEAH plug it in!! my old 7.3 had the banks ottomind chip and i put a tunner on top of it, worked well. The dude before you probly had the bighoss bundle installed check for bighoss waist gate on the turbo and maybe an optional larger inter-cooler to make sure. then if u look underneath somewhere buy the tranny he may have had a banks trans command installed also. if not these will all work well together! one more thing the chip is mapped around ur cpu so it will not be compatible with other strokers! hope this shed a lil light on the situation.
p.s. I had a ton more mods on my 2000 7.3 so if u want some ideas or have any questions you know where to find me
Cool... I'll check the intercooler and tranny, see what's there. I plan on doing some major modding with this truck, but not for another year or so. I have other projects and school to worry about right now. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can right now, and try to figure out what was done to my truck already.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:50 PM

I emailed Banks about this matter.... Here's what they told me:

"The Ottomind chip you have is for a Banks PowerPack system. This is a 100 hp system. The PowerPack consists of The Monster Exhaust, Banks Turbo housing, Big Head wastegate actuator, intercooler and Ottomind chip."

Now....... I'd like some help making sure I have all these parts on my truck. I know for a fact that I have the exhaust.

As for the intercooler... Where can I look for a Banks stamp or something? I looked at the intercooler, and I can only really see a tiny bit of it on each side. So I'm having a hard time figuring out if it's the stock intercooler, or a Banks one.

And I'm not too sure exactly what the turbo housing is??? And I'm not sure what the stock wastegate and "Big Head" wastegate look like. Can you guys help me from these pics?!

Thanks guys!!!!

Last edited by Mud-Nut; 10-30-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
turbo and waste gate look stock to me ..downpipe has a bung welded in for a pyrometer but you should install yours in the drivers side manifold... you need to know how hot the exhaust goin into the turbo is.. not so much as the temp of it coming out of the turbo
Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Dirty, looks dirty
Old 10-31-2008, 12:44 AM

Trash the banks a get a DP or TW they are both custom burn chips only for your truck.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:26 AM

Hmmm... Alright. That would explain why the chip was in the console. Prolly makes the truck running worse than stock without all those parts.

I'm pretty sure the intercooler is stock as well. I couldn't see any Banks stamps anywhere on it.

And yeah.... I plan to eventually run a DP chip, along with other stuff. I was just curious as to what was already installed on my truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.