2000 7.3 best tuner? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 best tuner?

Hi I just bought a sclb 2000 f350 with 115k. Im wondering whats the best tuner for the 7.3s I was going to buy a 6.0 so I knew what I wanted but then this deal came up. It has an edge insight in it I believe at the moment 3 settings tow race and extreme. But I feel like theres betters out there with more power. Alot of people have been trying to talk me into the TS 6pos tuner. But I figured id ask and see what you guys use and like thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2014, 05:59 PM

There is a million post on this it you had searched first but since u didn't. The ts is a good option because many company's can burn custom tunes to them. The hydra is another good one. Edge, superchips are all generic and don't do much for supporting mods. I assume your truck is stock. The 7.3l is a slow *** ***** I love mine but you need to do a few more mods to wake her up
Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks I looked just didnt see much for what I was looking for for an answer and it has a 4 inch straight pipe intake bigger turbo and tranny rebuild with a hd torque coverter its pretty fast for a 7.3 I thought cause I know they are normally nutless. But I was also wondering could I stack the edge tuner with the TS ?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

cant stack chips on 7.3's

a ts chip with custom tunes is better than edge.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

my vote for THE BEST TUNER is going to be the PHP hydra along with boost, pyro and trans temp gauges installed

PHP phoenix chip would be my next best recomendation

the TS is ok for the price but after having one myself i would spend the $50 extra on a PHP phoenix. the TS will burn up the pistons over time if you're going to use the power.

i have an old edge evolution that is retired to the glove box for code reader duties only until i get an auto enginuity set up.
Chatham036 likes this.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:55 AM

I have never heard of ts burning up pistons. On my last truck I had a ts 6 position chip and everyone I know with 7.3s have ts 6 position chips. Definatly go either php or ts. Next question if you go ts is who will you have custom tune it. I did have a problem with my ts, though. I called ts and I sent it to them on a Monday, they got it, and sent me a brand new chip, which I received it on Friday and installed. The problem is that it was jumping in between tunes, say I was in high idle (OBS didn't have High idle factory) it would jump out then go back in making it sound like someone was slightly revving it.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

the TS causes much higher EGT than PHP tunes. I can easily get above 1200 in the 75 hp setting. with PHP's 80hp setting I can't get above 1200 and there is much more power there.

EGT's burn up pistons. It happens to many people. after having both tunes i would never go back to TS tunes.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 PM

Are you saying theoretically or you have actually seen burnt up pistons from a ts? Has anyone else had both ts and php and agree with steve? Now you have me interested and questioning my choice of ts. Are all of the tunes the same from php whether on the chip like yours, the hydra, or the phoenix? Not very familiar with PHP.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Rodslinger's B1TCH

i have not seen or heard of burnt pistons necessarily due to TS programming per say, just due to high EGT's. I know that with the TS i can easily get into the danager zones and could easily hold my EGT's at 13-1400 for an extended period of time while towing through mountain passes (see Highway through hell on discovery). i had to switch it to stock in the summer while towing a trailer.

PHP tunes with more power run 400+ degrees cooler with no smoke.

i miss the smoke though...
Old 02-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Tony Wildman Performance Chips gets my vote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.