TW Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Trouble
TW Question

I am not trying to ask which is better. I know everyone has their own opinions and I respect that! I just have a question about the safety of TW.

My boyfriend had a Superchip on his truck and that was the primary cause of his truck blowing up. For his new motor he bought the Edge Juice with Attitude which has a safety feature that if something goes wrong it will backdown (cut off the extra fuel) so you don't damage anything. Sounds good to me. I was planning on putting the Edge in my truck but being on here I've heard so much about the TW. I was wondering if there were any safety features for TW programmers other than just watching your gauges? Having watched my boyfriend's beautiful PSD blow up, and remembering the price it cost to buy a new motor (not something that I'd be able to afford!), I want to make sure that I make the right decision.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 07:04 PM

I don't know how he drove his truck, if he had gauges or what else was done to the truck but a TDP chip will out perform an Edge or SuperChip anyday.

If you have supporting mods and add a TDP chip your truck should be fine. It depends on how it is driven and the condition of the engine. The programs are built for certain conditions such as towing but they still require the driver to observe the gauges and know what to do.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:18 PM

No the TW chip will not protect your truck against blowing up.If you watch the gauges and drive it sensible,then it should be fine.How do you know the superchips programmer blew his truck up?What exactly happened ?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I am not trying to ask which is better. I know everyone has their own opinions and I respect that! I just have a question about the safety of TW.

My boyfriend had a Superchip on his truck and that was the primary cause of his truck blowing up. For his new motor he bought the Edge Juice with Attitude which has a safety feature that if something goes wrong it will backdown (cut off the extra fuel) so you don't damage anything. Sounds good to me. I was planning on putting the Edge in my truck but being on here I've heard so much about the TW. I was wondering if there were any safety features for TW programmers other than just watching your gauges? Having watched my boyfriend's beautiful PSD blow up, and remembering the price it cost to buy a new motor (not something that I'd be able to afford!), I want to make sure that I make the right decision.

Thanks guys!
what year was his truck? their is almost no way the superchips would produce enough Power to blow up the engine.. the SC is one of the tuners with less HP...

i would never run a Edge product on a Powerstroke.... their lack of trans tuning is its downfall...

i had a edge juice on my truck for no more than 3 months and it blew my trans....

as far as safety features they have none... that is your responsibility to watch your gauges and know when to let off the throttle....

i would highly recommend a custom tuned chip for your 7.3L... its the best thing for it.. .and i would try and convince your BF to get that edge off his truck asap....

if he has a 7.3L have him get a custom tuned chip.. if he has a 6.0L have him get a SCT X3 with custom tunes....

if you need any more info please let me know

-Raul
Old 10-12-2008, 07:36 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Trouble
He has a 2002 7.3 ... He was never really hard on it and didn't have gauges (bad idea for having ANY kind of chip) It just threw a rod straight out the block when we were making a simple U-turn one night. No lights or anything came on until after the motor blew then the check gauges and oil light came on as the truck shut off.

We don't have any evidence that it was the superchip other than when he sold it to one of his buddies, his truck started having problems and blowing white smoke (but he’s pretty hard on the truck).

His Edge juice does kick his check engine light on occasionally though. I thought that was just the "safety feature" going into affect. He hasn't had any problems other than the flywheel spinning its weights off, but that was an easy fix.

Thanks everyone for the information! I think once I get the money (ha!) I’ll get a TW tuner!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cory S
yea superchip is a better programmer than the edge i had the superchip on my 01 for more than 130,000 had no auto trans probs or any problems at all. i ran it hard but i kept it very well maintained and all fresh fluids and oils.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:43 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
He has a 2002 7.3 ... He was never really hard on it and didn't have gauges (bad idea for having ANY kind of chip) It just threw a rod straight out the block when we were making a simple U-turn one night. No lights or anything came on until after the motor blew then the check gauges and oil light came on as the truck shut off.

We don't have any evidence that it was the superchip other than when he sold it to one of his buddies, his truck started having problems and blowing white smoke (but heís pretty hard on the truck).

His Edge juice does kick his check engine light on occasionally though. I thought that was just the "safety feature" going into affect. He hasn't had any problems other than the flywheel spinning its weights off, but that was an easy fix.

Thanks everyone for the information! I think once I get the money (ha!) Iíll get a TW tuner!

Thats safety feature is bad programing, it is defueling the truck, not for safety but because it isnt correct...

I would NOT run an edge if it were given to me, Like Raul I blew a trans with it, and it was just real low on power compaird to custom tunning.

2002 would have PMRs but I dont see a super chips alone blowing it. One of our trucks is the same year, and I have a custom chip with 100hp setting, and it runs great. They also tune the trans which is very important with the 4r100.

Blowing white smoke with a chip says to me he fried his turbo.

If you want power and safety, a TW or any custom chip, with gauges, and supporting mods is the way to go hands down. it will win anytime
Old 10-12-2008, 08:23 PM

as already stated your BF's truck has/had PMR's but superchips make know power so i doubt the superchips did it. timing is key on these trucks PMR's usally start flyin right at the 400hp mark i friend of mine has been at 396hp for 2 years with PMR's and they are still in the block like me he runs the TW
Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 AM

With my TW I have yet to see extreme exhaust temp's even on extreme! He knows his stuff as I'm sure jody would to.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:10 AM
Dieselis' Maximus

Just stay away from any Generic tuner Like banks, edge, bullydog, superchips. custom tuning is the only way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.