Which programmer/chip to upgrade to... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckGirl Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckGirl
Which programmer/chip to upgrade to...

I am ready to move up and on away from the Bully Dog programmer and such. I know there are a LOT better programmers/chips on the market. My Ex is my daily driver and is getting around 18mpg highway with the BD. I also use the Ex to pull a 4 horse BP trailer when needed.

I haven't ventured far out of the realm of Bully Dog equipment and have never used a chip.

What would you suggest I move up to? Anything I should stay away from?

Your input is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 12:21 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
you gonna keep the outlook monitor to watch your gauges? i would highly suggest getting a trans temp gauge.. the stocker is very inaccurate.. .its basically a dummy light that will only turn on when its too late...

i would go with a custom tuned chip... TW and DP are both great chips....

my vote would be for the TW because of the lifetime reburns....

have you put on the exhaust yet? also what aer you running for an intake? i suggest both while running a tuner esp for the 7.3L

let me know if you have any other questions

-Raul
Old 10-12-2008, 12:31 PM

Should I go for the 4" or 5" exhaust?

Last edited by RedneckGirl; 10-12-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Thanks Raul!

I plan this to be a huge upgrade-I am ditching the outlook and going with pillar based guages-I plan on running boost, trans temp, and pyro. The exhaust is next on the list, due to the fact just running with the BD the EGTs bounce pretty high (I know momentary climbs are ok-just not real comfortable with it). I run a BD rapid flow intake. I am looking to replace whatever I need to in order to make sure this is done right. I have no intentions on racing or anything of that nature, just want the power and such when I need it.

How much do chips run? Where do you order the TW chips from? This is where I am really showing that I am a girl, huh!?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:45 PM

TW chip is $475 for 6 tunes, DP-tuner is around $460 for the F5 and $660 for the F6 for 6 tunes, up to 16 each. DP-tuners F6 allow tunes to be emailed to you, and you can try tunes before you buy them. They're coming up with something similar for the F5 too I believe. I think Tony might be raising his price soon, but you get free reburns for life. DP-tuner got to pay for each reburn. Each have great tunes, each have + and - i am sure.

4" exhaust is all you need.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:59 PM
MARSOC > Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirnunya View Post
TW chip is $475 for 6 tunes, DP-tuner is around $460 for the F5 and $660 for the F6 for 6 tunes, up to 16 each. DP-tuners F6 allow tunes to be emailed to you, and you can try tunes before you buy them. They're coming up with something similar for the F5 too I believe. I think Tony might be raising his price soon, but you get free reburns for life. DP-tuner got to pay for each reburn. Each have great tunes, each have + and - i am sure.

4" exhaust is all you need.
true on all parts you really don't need a 5'' unless you are gonna be pushing some serious power... and from what I get your really don't plan on it so just go with a 4'' dp and exhaust but as for the between the chips both pretty much darn the same... but like said before lifetime burns with Tony... every time you get a different one with DP you have to pay
Old 10-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckGirl View Post
Thanks Raul!

I plan this to be a huge upgrade-I am ditching the outlook and going with pillar based guages-I plan on running boost, trans temp, and pyro. The exhaust is next on the list, due to the fact just running with the BD the EGTs bounce pretty high (I know momentary climbs are ok-just not real comfortable with it). I run a BD rapid flow intake. I am looking to replace whatever I need to in order to make sure this is done right. I have no intentions on racing or anything of that nature, just want the power and such when I need it.

How much do chips run? Where do you order the TW chips from? This is where I am really showing that I am a girl, huh!?
i would just go with a 4" exhaust... its more than plenty...

no reason to change your intake.. just make sure to keep the filter clean...

as far as the chip goes a 6 postion chip is $475.00 here is a link: Tony Wildman Chip

as far as tony raising his prices??? i am not aware of this and he has not talked about it before... so i dont believe his prices are going up....

you wont be able to purchase anything from my site until tomorrow... we are currently fixing some issues and adding more stuff... so i turned the feature off

-Raul
Old 10-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

I too heard he is going up on Nov 1st on his tunes. Everything else is going up he has to make some money too.
As for the intake you are okay, for exhaust you don't even need to go 4", the restriction in the factory exhause isn't the size of the plumbing, it is the factory muffler. It necks down a 3.5" exhaust to 2.5" and then further restricts it by throwing it through an offset. I know the popular thing to do is replace the entire system and I understand I am going against the grain, but I have been saying this for years, some listen some don't!! Let me ask you a question, if you place a 5/8" garden hose in a 6" sewer pipe does it flow anymore water?
Exactly my point!!
Just replace the factory muffler with something like the Walker BTM from Napa for $45, straight shot 3.5", so no back pressure. My EGT's dropped 100-150 degrees between the BTM and Ford AIS intake. EGT's are controlled with proper air flow and good tuning, with my set up I have never had to back out of the go pedal due to high EGT's!! A full 4" system isn't needed unless you are planning on building big HP with a larger turbo, injectors etc...
You then want to support the aut trans with a Valvebody, I prefer the FTVB, but JW and BTS also make good units. Only after these mods are done should you be adding more ponies. Of course gauges are a must as well.
For tunes DP or TW will provide you with what you need, You can see by my sig who I chose. If you have any ? Just PM me!!

NCH
Old 10-12-2008, 01:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my vote is for Dp_Tuner new F6. U will no longer have to send in your chip for reburns when u want new tunes, that by far to me is better for me IMO. I have no experience with TW tunes, but hear people are happy with them. Like with any product, pick your poison and go with it, there are a lot of good products out there, u really cant go wrong.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:45 PM
MARSOC > Seals

that is a very good thing for DP right now but you would still have to pay for the upgrade of the chip if you get different injectors, etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.