Garret 38R - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Garret 38R

I am looking for someone in the Richmond, VA area that is running a 38R with preferably some 160/stock or 160/30 nozzles. I am interested in eventually running a setup like this but would like to experience it first hand (especially the turbo). I want to make sure that I can live with the sound of a 38R. I am seriously considering this or a Brute 66 but am intrigued with the quick spool characteristics of the 38R versus the stock or Brute 66 turbo. I have a straight drive and feel that it will be more enjoyable to drive with a quick spooling turbo. If there is any one out there that is near me I would love check out your ride.

JC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good luck.
Here's a bump for you
Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 AM

Send a message via AIM to PSD POWER007
Not anywhere near your area, but I have a 38r with the WW2 and running 175/80's from PIS. The turbo doesn't sound much different than a stocker with the original WW or WW2. Just a slight whistle. It spools instantly and pulls all the way through the power band that I use. Even on stock injectors, this is the turbo the truck should've came with. I have NO regrets!!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the bump Joel.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-23-2014, 04:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSD POWER007 View Post
Not anywhere near your area, but I have a 38r with the WW2 and running 175/80's from PIS. The turbo doesn't sound much different than a stocker with the original WW or WW2. Just a slight whistle. It spools instantly and pulls all the way through the power band that I use. Even on stock injectors, this is the turbo the truck should've came with. I have NO regrets!!
Can't see your sig from phone, do you have pmr's with that setup? I am seriously considering getting the 170/80 from PIS, and then having someone detune them until I can pick up a forged rod motor. I'm not really looking for more than 400 hp at the wheels. The most important thing is quick spool up especially with a stick. I rarely run the truck over 2100 rpms unless I am towing something. Just wish I could find someone in my area that had a setup close to what I am looking at. Thanks again for the info.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Even on stock injectors, this is the turbo the truck should've came with. I have NO regrets!!
Exactly right on that part....noise on the other hand is a good bit louder than my stocker with a WW2...not that it's a bad thing cause I like the 38R sound myself.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
Can't see your sig from phone, do you have pmr's with that setup? I am seriously considering getting the 170/80 from PIS, and then having someone detune them until I can pick up a forged rod motor. I'm not really looking for more than 400 hp at the wheels. The most important thing is quick spool up especially with a stick. I rarely run the truck over 2100 rpms unless I am towing something. Just wish I could find someone in my area that had a setup close to what I am looking at. Thanks again for the info.

Yes, I have a PMR motor. 400-425 hp was my end goal. My truck is a daily driver that I tow with regularly. So reliability is key. I feel totally safe with my set up.
The Following User Says Thank You to PSD POWER007 For This Useful Post:
ja_cain (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montgomery P-Stroke View Post
Exactly right on that part....noise on the other hand is a good bit louder than my stocker with a WW2...not that it's a bad thing cause I like the 38R sound myself.
I don't notice much difference in sound between the stock turbo with a WW2 and the 38r with WW2. A very slight more whistle on the 38r, but not much. I do have an AIS though.
The Following User Says Thank You to PSD POWER007 For This Useful Post:
ja_cain (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks guys. My plan is to run an ais. I have a feeling this attenuates the sound of the 38r significantly vs the ever popular tymar intake that a lot of people run. I think that I am definitely set on getting the 38r with the WW based on my driving habits and what kind of power band I am looking for. Just need to decide on which injectors to go with (160/30 vs 175/80).
Old 01-23-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I don't notice much difference in sound between the stock turbo with a WW2 and the 38r with WW2. A very slight more whistle on the 38r, but not much. I do have an AIS though.
You got me thinking and I did forget one fact on the sound. My brother is the one with the 38R (but exactly the same truck as mine..identical besides the front seat..same color..same year...close on build date). The previous owner did a foil delete on the ic pipes so that may make it louder than it should be. Both of us are running the Tymar style intake. My WW2 doesn't make hardly any more noise than stock until it's above 2k rpm. My brother's 38R makes noise as soon as you touch the go pedal but the extra power down low is well worth the noise if your pulling in stop and go traffic with stock sticks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.