TS 6 Position?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 04:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TS 6 Position??

I've recently purchased an e99 7.3. I've gotten a lot of the kinks sorted out with mechanical issued the truck had and now I have some time to get into it a little more. If this should be posed in another part of the form please point me in that direction.

At some point the a previous owner installed what appears to to be a TS 6position chip. The problem is that I don't know how to use it properly/efficiently and without any of the setting being labeled I can't quite tell what it's up to.

If you were to look at the adjustment knob like a clock this is how is SEEMS to go.

1 - stock
2 - more power
3 - more power
4 - more power
5 - not sure
6 - high idle

7 through 11 not sure.

Can anyone tell me a little more about what these setting actually represent? How should I be driving the truck around town for efficiency? Highway?

I am fishing guide so I am usually towing a boat that weighs, with trailer, about 4,500lbs.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its a 6 pos chip. There are only six setting on it, but someone didnt install the detent that stops the switch from going around and around.

Do you have gauges?

More then likely its a generic TS chip with a 50-75-100-140hp settings, plus a high idle and maybe a stock...
Old 01-22-2014, 06:08 AM

I'd pull it and have your own tunes put on it to make sure you know exactly what you have.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:55 AM

gearhead has quick and fairly cheap reburns
Old 01-22-2014, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just purchased this chip as well, it's in the mail to me now. I look forward to playing with it and finding out more about reburns. I'm going to use it for towing mainly.

239tiger I would be happy to share the owners manual with you once I receive it.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa7man View Post
I just purchased this chip as well, it's in the mail to me now. I look forward to playing with it and finding out more about reburns. I'm going to use it for towing mainly.

239tiger I would be happy to share the owners manual with you once I receive it.
His chip is unknown, could have any tunes on it, in any order from any vendor...
Old 01-22-2014, 03:26 PM

I've had 2 generic TS chips before with the manufactuer's programming and neither one was even close to the same programming. The first one would would let the t/c stay unlocked all the time so the motor would just rev to the moon and wouldn't really go anywhere. The second one locked the t/c in every gear after 1st so it drove just like a stick shift. Needless to say they had the shift firmness so hard that it would easily bark 35X12.50's on the 1-2 shift and heaven forbid you had to pull a trailer over a couple thousand pounds. The generic TS programming is by far the worst out of the 7 different chips/programmers I've tried. The computer code on the little tag they give you with the chip was correct on both of them so I guess it's a gamble what you get from them.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montgomery P-Stroke View Post
I've had 2 generic TS chips before with the manufactuer's programming and neither one was even close to the same programming. The first one would would let the t/c stay unlocked all the time so the motor would just rev to the moon and wouldn't really go anywhere. The second one locked the t/c in every gear after 1st so it drove just like a stick shift. Needless to say they had the shift firmness so hard that it would easily bark 35X12.50's on the 1-2 shift and heaven forbid you had to pull a trailer over a couple thousand pounds. The generic TS programming is by far the worst out of the 7 different chips/programmers I've tried. The computer code on the little tag they give you with the chip was correct on both of them so I guess it's a gamble what you get from them.
Most of the reviews looked good on the chip. I guess it's like a box of Cracker Jacks.

I've been towing about 9,000 pounds with a stock rig. It's an 8' high, 26' total length, beast of a trailer. I'm sick of turning into a head wind and the thing just acting like the anchors been thrown out.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 PM

I think you've got the right idea. I could never drive a 7.3 without a chip again...everytime I flip it to the stock setting when the motor is cold I get reminded of how slow these things are. The PHP chip I'm running now has some good tow tunes if thats what your after.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa7man View Post
Most of the reviews looked good on the chip. I guess it's like a box of Cracker Jacks.

I've been towing about 9,000 pounds with a stock rig. It's an 8' high, 26' total length, beast of a trailer. I'm sick of turning into a head wind and the thing just acting like the anchors been thrown out.
with 9000lbs behind the truck you're going to want to run it in stock mode or close to it. make sure you have a pyro gauge to make sure you're not bbq'ing the pistons.

with 6000lbs behind mine i can push the egt's 1300 in stock mode on hills. as soon as i switch to any power modes the egt's go much higher.

this is with the ts programming. i have php tunes on the chip now and the egt's are much lower so i might be able to use the 40 hp tow setting... maybe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.