EGT acceptable Max - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 08:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT acceptable Max

I know that this question has been asked before. I have searched the internet and read most of them. I am looking for a link to some definitive source.

I need advice on EGTs. I recently installed a Dr Performance chip. It is an add on chip that plugs into the IPC sensor and ties into the MAP sensor. I bought it for the advertised up to 15% MPG increase. They also claim that there will be no increase in EGTs and that it can be used all the time even when towing. I installed a pyrometer even though Dr Performance claimed that it wasn’t needed and I also install a 4” exhaust and a K&N air filter. I tested the chip by pulling a trailer with the trailer empty (11,000 GVW) and full (20,000 GVW). With the empty trailer I had a hard time maintaining the speed limit without the EGTs climbing over 1200F. I unplugged the chip and with the empty trailer the EGTs stayed under 1200F even during full throttle. I plugged the chip back in and with the trailer full it was a real struggle to keep the EGTs to less than 1300F. On one steep 1-mile long grade I had to gradually slow down to 25MPH in second gear to stay less than 1300F.

I contacted Dr Perfomance and asked for an RMA. Whitney Goeders responded and I quote:
“it sounds like its operating normally. 1200 degrees module or not, is actually warmed to operating temperatures. Now when you get into the 15-1600 range is a little high but not enough to do damage. Damage will not occur until 2100 degrees on that style of diesel engine.” ( I have a 2001 F350 with an intercooled 7.3 automatic.)

What are acceptable EGTs?

The truck has 90K miles. I have installed a 4” exhaust, K&N filter and replaced and double clamped the intercooler hoses. I have read the ODBII and there are no codes. (Except for High injection pressure caused by the chip)

If I can get DR Performance to take the chip back which chip would you recommend to replace it. I would like a chip that is user programmable so that I can write my own custom tune to run hydrogen (HHO). I need to some how retard the timing and lean fuel/air mix.
Any advice will be appreciated,
Mars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Cynic

Contact Total Diesel Performance for a custom chip or send me a PM.
Lose the K&N filter. It will trash your turbo.
1200* is high. Anything over 1250-1300 can damage the turbo.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Cynic

Also, where are you taking the EGT reading from? There is a lot more info that I can give you...
Old 10-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Cynic

Another thing, check for soot around the firewall by the up pipes. How much boost are you building?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Hi Dirk:
Thanks for the quick responses. I forgot to mention that I installed the pyrometer in the drivers side exhaust manifold.

I just crawled under the truck and inspected the exhaust "y" up pipes. They look clean as much as I can see. I ran my hand over them and it came back with no soot. I can't hear any turbo or exhaust leaks. When I put my foot down I can hear the turbo spool up.

I have a Huge NAPA (Tymar) filter waiting to be installed.

I don't have a boost gauge installed but I recently had access to a OBDII gauge setup and the the max boost after a test drag race was 25PSI

I am wondering about the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve. It seem to be working and hasn't thrown any codes but it is the only thing that I can think of that would cause increased EGTs.
Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
Contact Total Diesel Performance for a custom chip or send me a PM.
Lose the K&N filter. It will trash your turbo.
1200* is high. Anything over 1250-1300 can damage the turbo.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Ms. Whitney Goeders responded quickly and has OK'ed my RMA request.
Mars
Old 10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

Good the guy is a total idiot!!! Ask him for this information regarding 2100 degrees being the redline for a T444E!!! What a idiot, your pistons are starting to liquify at these temps!! LOL!!!
You need to hang around here and stay away from Diesel Power Mag. and the junk you read in advertisements!! For the truth about EGT'S
Max sustained temp is 1250 degrees, However short bursts above this to 1350-1400 degrees is okay as it takes time to heat soak the pistons, but nothing sustained at these temps. If you are cresting a hill, stay in it and we you climb over it should cool back down, but I wouldn't keep it higher than 1250 for more than 2 min.
The K&N drop in filter will Dust your engine!!!! Not just your turbo!!! Hands down the worst air filter you can place in a 7.3!!!
EGT's are controlled by two things, good air flow ( in and out) and proper tunning. You must have all of these to have usable power!! Take a look at the mods in my sig. I have never had to back out of the go pedal due to high EGT's, and I tow heavy in the mountains!! Actually I did have to back down one time on one grade because I had the 80 econo tune in and not the 60 tow, my fault not the trucks!!
If you have any ? PM me.

NCH
Old 10-10-2008, 10:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a K&N intake... Will this napa filter fit it? Im going to go buy one right now if it will.

Edit: whats the part number for this filter?

Last edited by j_cyrus3; 10-10-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The Napa filter is #6637 and I believe it does fir the plumbing og the K&N but you mayy have to trim it? Not sure, but I believe the diameter is correct.

NCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.