Fuel Systems...Shed some light on me - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Systems...Shed some light on me

What are they? lol i know nothing about them, tryin to gain a little knowledge on them...FASS and systems of that nature and also on the regulated return
Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 AM

ITP 7.3L "Standard" Regulated Return Kit

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=466

the regulated return will not really add power. Its a supporting mod. It also keeps fuel flowing through the heads, so the rails stay full and air has an excape path. the stock fuel system puts fuel into the fuel rails and the only way for the fuel to get out is through the injectors. I plan on the itp bowl delete kit some day.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

Tubular explained the return, and there is also a cross over line, cheaper than a reg return, and will will connect both heads so #8 isn't the dead head injector.
The other fuel systems are used to eliminate the stock fuel filter and pump. This is usually done for modified trucks running bigger injectors, turbo etc.. all of these require more fuel than the stock system can provide. There is a very definite line you come to when modifying a 7.3, look at my sig. becuz I am on that line and can't afford to cross it!! The next step is the big one, bigger injectors, this means more oil Pressure so Big Oilcomes next ( not will all injectors, but with the big boys) this also meansmore fuel, so FASS or other fuel system, more fulemeans more air, so larger turbo, parts alone = $8K-$10K, as I said my truck has all the power for this poorman!! I'll leave the big HP numbers to the young kids without a wife and kids!!! lol!!

NCH
Old 10-10-2008, 12:11 PM

One thing about the Fass system is you don't have to have a regulator for your regulated return... the fass system has it already in it...
Old 10-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Watch that though, the FASS has been shipping with a regulator that will only do pressures in the low 50s from what customers are reporting.

Also, to clarify what NCHornet said...not all fuel systems eliminate the factory filter bowl or factory pump. My standard regulated return is used all the time, keeps the factory filter bowl and keeps the factory pump and does a great job on trucks that are even "near stock". You don't have to have big power to benefit from fuel system upgrades.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:24 PM

Dennis, what are the determining factors when a customer either orders the fuel bowl delete kit RR or the standard RR kit? I'm going to be ordering one of the 2 from you some time shortly and don't really know which one I "should" get. I always thought the delete kit was mainly meant for dual HPOP trucks? Any benefit to the delete kit on a truck running a single HPOP?
Old 10-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Considering that Dockboy had enough fuel for an 11 second pass in a full size 4x4 while still running the filter bowl and my older 1/4" fuel lines (lines are now 3/8"), I can't tell you that it's a particular power level.

The answer is really..."personal preference". I tell a LOT of people to keep the filter bowl. Deleting it cleans up the valley, makes work on the HPOP easier and looks nicer...but you have to replace that filter with something else in the 2 micron range that is POST PUMP. In your case, staying with a single pump, I'd probably suggest keeping the bowl and using the "standard" kit.

Just so it's clear, the bowl delete wasn't developed to be a kit I expected everyone to use. It's been way more popular than I ever expected. That's great for sales, but I never expected to spend so much time helping people decide which way to go. It was designed for those doing "big oil", compound turbos, etc...those needing more space in the valley to work. Development of it was pushed by a few of my big HP customers. For the most part I figure that if you don't already know why you'd want/need it...you probably don't need it.

I hope that answers your questions and maybe clarifies things for others too.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:48 AM

Well that answered all my questions, thanks very much!
Old 10-11-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Tubular explained the return, and there is also a cross over line, cheaper than a reg return, and will will connect both heads so #8 isn't the dead head injector.
The other fuel systems are used to eliminate the stock fuel filter and pump. This is usually done for modified trucks running bigger injectors, turbo etc.. all of these require more fuel than the stock system can provide. There is a very definite line you come to when modifying a 7.3, look at my sig. becuz I am on that line and can't afford to cross it!! The next step is the big one, bigger injectors, this means more oil Pressure so Big Oilcomes next ( not will all injectors, but with the big boys) this also meansmore fuel, so FASS or other fuel system, more fulemeans more air, so larger turbo, parts alone = $8K-$10K, as I said my truck has all the power for this poorman!! I'll leave the big HP numbers to the young kids without a wife and kids!!! lol!!

NCH
this maybe a dumb question but what is this cross over line you speak of your not talkin about the hpx crossover are you
Old 10-11-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUMMINS_KILLA99 View Post
this maybe a dumb question but what is this cross over line you speak of your not talkin about the hpx crossover are you
No, it's a fuel crossover line that connects the fuel channels at the back of the heads. It's supposed to help with fuel pressure to both fuel channels, especially the injector #8 which gets starved under WOT conditions. It's a "poor mans" RR system, although it doesn't really regulate anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.