Can the ole 4R100 take it? Idea=good or bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2008, 01:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can the ole 4R100 take it? Idea=good or bad?

So I'm looking seriously at a DP chip deal. For now I'm only going to go for the anti-theft position, the 80hp Economy, and maybe a tow tune. I'm not 100% sure. I wanna do that for the economy part, but also I hear that over 80hp, over stock hp, out of stock injectors aint gonna happen anyway. I'm planning on leaving the stock injectors and turbo in there for now. My biggest concern is, will my tranny shatter to bits and cost me 5 grand, or should it be fine? It's the original automatic tranny, almost 188k miles on it. It has been used for towing for the majority of its life. It does not slip, the fluid smells good and looks good in color. I just don't wanna spend $300-$350 and cost me a ton for a new transmission. Cause I can't pull that off right now.

What do you think? Should I do it? Or should I build the trans first to prevent a big-money problem. One last thing. Anybody with the DP, do either of those tunes make smokeysmoke?

Please help.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2008, 01:21 AM

I'm just going on what I have seen but once you start getting into that many miles even on a stock truck you should somewhat expect some tranny issues. I would only guess that the chip is going to speed up the inevitable. You can always think of it as it is probably going to happen at some point, the chip just makes that sooner. I've always believed that if you take care of your vehicle it, and its components, will last forever, but that doesn't seem to apply to our stock auto transmission.
Old 10-08-2008, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The above comments come from Internet Hype and Myth. Let me explain. Folks who add 103 hp ( what the 80 econo actually dyno'd at the rear wheels) to a powertrain that wasn't designed to handle it and then drive it like an idiot, are going to have issues with breakage and the first thing they claim is the chip did it!! No they did it!! You need to perform the supporting mods first. The 7.3 was heavily de-tuned because of the weak 4R100 trans so there is a lot of hidden power to be brought out and it can be done safetly if you do the right mods beforehand. First is gauges, these are the most important, you then need a good flowing intake and exhaust to control higher EGT;s from the increased fuel. This can be done cheap with the DIY Tymar intake ( $70 )and a BTM muffler ( $45 ) , then you need to support the auto trans with a Valvebody, this will shorten the sifts which means less contact on the clutch packs and this in turn means less fricton and less friction means less heat and heat my friend is the biggest killer to a auto trans!! With the mods in my sig my truck actually works less to perform the same task as it did when it was stock. This means a longer life for all components. At least in a perfect world. I have seen chipped trucks got 250K on the stock trans, I have also seen a stock truck go through 3 transmissions in 80K because the owner drove it like a idiot. There are no crystal balls, and no guarntees with any vehicle. Your stock trans already has had a good long life considering the majority of those miles are towing. Adding a tune and a VB, along with gauges and a 6.0 cooler ( if needed) won't shorten the length of your tranies life, as long as you drive it sanely, but there is no telling just how long it will last, either way, chipped or stock!!

NCH
Old 10-08-2008, 05:09 AM
What u talkin bout willis

Send a message via AIM to REDPOWERSMOKER Send a message via Yahoo to REDPOWERSMOKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
The above comments come from Internet Hype and Myth. Let me explain. Folks who add 103 hp ( what the 80 econo actually dyno'd at the rear wheels) to a powertrain that wasn't designed to handle it and then drive it like an idiot, are going to have issues with breakage and the first thing they claim is the chip did it!! No they did it!! You need to perform the supporting mods first. The 7.3 was heavily de-tuned because of the weak 4R100 trans so there is a lot of hidden power to be brought out and it can be done safetly if you do the right mods beforehand. First is gauges, these are the most important, you then need a good flowing intake and exhaust to control higher EGT;s from the increased fuel. This can be done cheap with the DIY Tymar intake ( $70 )and a BTM muffler ( $45 ) , then you need to support the auto trans with a Valvebody, this will shorten the sifts which means less contact on the clutch packs and this in turn means less fricton and less friction means less heat and heat my friend is the biggest killer to a auto trans!! With the mods in my sig my truck actually works less to perform the same task as it did when it was stock. This means a longer life for all components. At least in a perfect world. I have seen chipped trucks got 250K on the stock trans, I have also seen a stock truck go through 3 transmissions in 80K because the owner drove it like a idiot. There are no crystal balls, and no guarntees with any vehicle. Your stock trans already has had a good long life considering the majority of those miles are towing. Adding a tune and a VB, along with gauges and a 6.0 cooler ( if needed) won't shorten the length of your tranies life, as long as you drive it sanely, but there is no telling just how long it will last, either way, chipped or stock!!

NCH

WELL SAID
Old 10-08-2008, 08:08 AM

If you're that scared.....don't do it until you have a built trans. It most likely will shorten the life of the trans because you'll probably be romping on it for a few weeks enjoying the new power. Nothing is guaranteed, but anything can happen. You could blow the trans tomorrow on the way to work, pretty much all stock truck. Or you could get the tuner, run 140 aggressive 24/7, and go another 100k before anything catastrophic happens.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
like everyone said... do the trans first....
Old 10-08-2008, 08:15 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:

NCH
i had to read all that , whooo, very true

and i myself have been thru 3 trannies in 30,000 miles , but i beat the heck out of it
Old 10-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Sorry Scott I got a little long winded!! Scott isn't exactly the Poster Child for Longevity in a Superduty!! LOL!!!

NCH
Old 10-08-2008, 08:29 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Sorry Scott I got a little long winded!! Scott isn't exactly the Poster Child for Longevity in a Superduty!! LOL!!!

NCH
if it can be tore up just ask me ive done it, but the good part is i can fix it
Old 10-08-2008, 08:49 AM

OK since thair are a few HEAVY WEIGHTS paying attention What have you seen from just a shift kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.