Find the chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 05:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Find the chip

Long story short...I had to replace the engine in my truck 3 months after I bought it.
After realizing the tech who I had do the engine swap may have not been 100% honest, I took the truck to Bob Davidson Ford (Parkville, MD Dealer) based on several recommendations there tech is GOOD. The dealer offers a FREE 55 point inspection and I thought it would be a good way to meet them and let them get to know the truck in case I ran into any issues I didn't have the time or means to deal with on my own. I was happy with how it all went and feel very comfortable going there again. BUT, the service manager I was talking to said my engine has a chip on it. My tech who installed the engine never said anything. The service manager said the way the engine was running it had to have a chip. The truck has a 4" exhaust but no special intake or gauges. I don't push the truck hard at all and the service manager felt like as long as I am taking it easy on the pedals I should be fine.
Where would I look to find the chip? When I find it how can I identify a maker?
I just want to make sure this engine doesn't destroy itself like the last on did.
Any help would be appreciated.
Heath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2008, 05:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If your truck has a chip, its either going to be done through your OBS II port which is just under the dash near the gas pedal or on the PCM located on the drivers footwell by the hoodlatch release.

If you have the chip in the PCM, removing the PCM will show a chip. If you have the "flash" done through your OBDII port, then you wont see anything. Your going to have your PCM re-flashed to get rid of the tune unless you find the original tuner which is highly doubtful.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The above is correct. I would never buy a truck with a chip and no gauges, but that ain't helping you. I wouldn't say the mechanic wasn't honest, he probably didn't know either! Look at your PCM, if it is still sealed up tight you know a chip wasn't used. This means the original programing has been erased and replaced with a performance tune using a programmer through the OBDII port. Ford will reflash it for you, or you can order a new PCM from Jody at DP Tuner with a stock PTM1 program. I would call Jody!!

NCH
Old 10-07-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
The above is correct. I would never buy a truck with a chip and no gauges, but that ain't helping you. I wouldn't say the mechanic wasn't honest, he probably didn't know either! Look at your PCM, if it is still sealed up tight you know a chip wasn't used. This means the original programing has been erased and replaced with a performance tune using a programmer through the OBDII port. Ford will reflash it for you, or you can order a new PCM from Jody at DP Tuner with a stock PTM1 program. I would call Jody!!

NCH
NCH, I'm not trying to throw my old tech under the bus. There were some other questionable practices I have discovered since having the engine put in and have fixed on my own. Your right he probably wouldn't have known either. I'll look under the dash and see what I can come up with. I'm thinking the truck did have gauges which were removed before the truck was traded in to the dealer I bought it from. Intake too.
I'll call Jody and chat with him about this a bit and see what we can do.
Thanks for the input and direction. GOD BLESS THE ORG!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

God Bless's Everyone!!
Didn't know about other problems you had with the clown. This is why I trust my truck with very few people, and the ones I do trust aren't mechanics!! It should be obvious if the seal on the PCM has been broken. Call the dealer and ask them how they know it was chipped, they may be able to save you the trouble!! My guess is it had a programmer and the PO forgot to return it to stock. If it had a chip there should be a cable coming out of the PCM with a knob or other device on the end for changing the tunes.

NCH
Old 10-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Can you look at old engine for Evidence of a EGT probe or maybe they used old manafolds on new engine. That would help tell the story.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:52 AM

nope it has been recycled! warranty company took it to trade in I think. i think the exhaust is still the same though. where could i look to see if a probe was installed for exhaust temp?
Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 AM

well the corect place is in the drivers sidemanafold or up pipe. you should be looking for a plug of some sort in thoes areas. Whan you install the probe you drill and tap. so if it was ever there it has to be closed up some how. But there are a lot of places people belive they should. check all the exhaust pipeing and manafolds.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

That will only work if the PO modded his truck correctly!! You have any idea how many trucks are running around with chips with no idea how hot their EGT's are getting!! Buyer beware. Search both manifolds as well as the up pipes for signs of a previous hole, this could be a hole, plug, or welded spot!!

NCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.