Fuel pickup foot necessary? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel pickup foot necessary?

I'm planning on doing the hutch/harpoon mods (Using Strictly Diesel's kit) in the morning and have no idea what shape my fuel pickup foot is in. Pulling the bed for some other maintenance so it'll be easy to get to. I called a couple ford dealers around here to see if they had one just in case but nobody can get one til wednesday. If my foot is broken, do I even need it? The kit I'm using has a prepump filter. I could see needing something on the end of the line to block big pieces but I'm thinking I could run to NAPA and get a universal sock to put on it if necessary. Just trying to cover my bases ahead of time, always like to have a plan. I searched but couldn't find where anyone said "run it barefoot with no pickup foot and no worries" or "no matter what you do don't start it without the foot on it!" Thanks for the suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't think you NEED it, but there is the chance that something close to 3/8 in diameter could get lodged in there down the road and then you would be in trouble.
It's probably un likely though.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 PM

I'm crossing the same bridge aswell putting my rr kit and I'm ripping the filters and mixer out but I don't think I will sleep better at night knowing theirs less chance of a clog

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-18-2014, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Foot turned out to be fine.
Got the hutch and harpoon done, it's an hour job once the bed is off.

Also pulled the bed, removed the front bed floor crossmember and fabricated a new one, beat/ground/chiseled all the rust off the frame and crossmembers from the cab back to bare metal, and got a coat of rust converter on all of it.

Tomorrow is fab the other bed floor crossmembers and paint the frame.
Had a little trouble with the strictly diesel kit, 2 of the hose clamps stripped and one of the studs on the bracket broke loose so I couldn't tighten it. No big deal I had hose clamps and just welded the stud back. All in all, the install was simple. Getting that fuel tank plastic ring back on was the worst part of the whole mess, would've been much easier with a second pair of hands I took a lot of pics just haven't uploaded them yet. Once it's all done I'll get pics up. Really happy with all of it so far.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:32 AM

Did it quiet the motor down much? I've been debating on doing this but not feeling like dropping the tank or lifting the bed.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to PSD POWER007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace7.3 View Post
Did it quiet the motor down much? I've been debating on doing this but not feeling like dropping the tank or lifting the bed.
Having to drop the tank is what's kept me from doing this.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:52 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's really not that bad a job.....

What I did was, drove around until the "Low Fuel" light came on and then parked it. I then connected a hose to the drain tube (from the Filter Housing's yellow lever, on the rt side, next to the exhaust manifold). Then I took my starter pak and powered the fuel pump.

This emptied the tank (left only about a Qt of fuel) AND gave me a good indication of how much fuel I had left when the light came on (@5gal.). With the tank empty, dropping it was an, easy, "1-man job".

Go spray some PB Blaster on those long threads that hold the tank strap now
Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 PM

You dont need the pickup foot. I dont have one, of course I am running a 5/8" pickup... but none the less just cut your in tank kit to where its 1/2" off the bottom of the tank.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Pulling the bed wasn't that big of a deal but I did it at work with a crane. Other than having a couple minor issues with the kit I bought from strictly diesel, I highly recommend the hutch mod. In conjunction with Riff Raff's fuel rail crossover, truck is MUCH quiter than before. I'm figuring out photobucket so I can post the pics and I'll put a thread up in the 7.3 general forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.