Pyro install: Post Turbo / exahust manifold / etc? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pyro install: Post Turbo / exahust manifold / etc?

I've been told a few times now that where my pyro is installed is not good. Or that my reading post are to high. Being I'm slowly moding my rig up, and the occasional heavy tow, I would ask the forum what install location is right, best, and safest. And also, yellow line / red line approximate max temps? I would guess these approx max temps would read differently as to where the probe is installed?

On a trip back from TX with a 40' enclosed trailer (empty), I would see the gauge temp up just over 1K. I would then change gear or turn off one of the overdrives (depending on road conditions) to get RPMs up, and EGTs would drop back to around 800.

I just went for a lunch drive. It's about 90 dig out side. Reading from scangaugeII. W/ and WO/ gearvenders on.

at 50
w/ 1476rpm 550dig
wo/ 1895 450dig

moved up to 53mph 1570rpm 500 dig

Back to work, let idle for a few min. 680rpm 280 and looked to be dropping.

If I remember correctly, I would see around 800dig at steady speeds of 85 and up. I would have to do a new run to get scangauge figures (and will if needed)???

What do you all think? Also, I'm not sure at this second if the housing is Banks or Garret. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Where is the pyro installed? Pre turbo on the exhaust manifold is the proper place. From your temps it sounds like you have it post turbo.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Premium Member

it's install in the upper turbine outlet pipe. Banks piping. As to post turbo or manifold, what's the differance?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
-temps in the downpipe let things vary way to much you really dont get an accurate reading up there

you want it to be pre turbo so you know the temps of the exhaust goin into the turbo not out of, you dont wanna get it to hot in there and cook the oil basically, and you gotta know the temp before it hits the turbo too because thats what will tell you how hot it will be before you shut down...someone else will come on here with more...thats my understanding of it?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaddox View Post
-temps in the downpipe let things vary way to much you really dont get an accurate reading up there

you want it to be pre turbo so you know the temps of the exhaust goin into the turbo not out of, you dont wanna get it to hot in there and cook the oil basically, and you gotta know the temp before it hits the turbo too because thats what will tell you how hot it will be before you shut down...someone else will come on here with more...thats my understanding of it?

You are not watching EGT's to protect the turbo, or the oil, or the exhaust...

You watch EGT's to prevent this...

Once the exhaust energy has been used by the turbo, the temps have dropped by 200-500 degrees depending on how hard you are working the truck.

You need to move your Pyro probe to this location, drivers side exhaust manifold...

There is no "set" difference between a post and pre turbo pyro... When under light load there could be no difference or 100-200 difference, under hard, heavy load it can be as much as 500 off.

Red line from IH (builders of our motors) is sustained 1250 PRE TURBO. You can cruise all day long at 1200-1250 and not hurt a thing other then your pocket book. You can NOT say that about a post turbo pyro, it could be 1100... it could be 1000, or 900 or even 800, point is, you just don't know with a post turbo pyro.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

CSIPSD, has told you straight up!! I have read many say "I just add 300 degrees and I know pre turbo temps" BS!!!!! To many have run both locations and the difference varies from zero to up to 500+ degrees difference. A post turbo EGT probe is basically useless. Move it to pre turbo, redline is 125 degrees, no such thing as yellow line, well maybe around 1200 you better watch it close, but short bursts up to 1400 or so is fine. It takes sustained temps to heat soak the pistons. If you are cresting the top of a hill and EGT's are 1250 or a little over I wouldn't back out of it.
I will add that I do use my EGT temps to preserve my turbo as I always wait until temps are 300 +/- before I shut her down!!

NCH
Old 10-02-2008, 03:34 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Yep, Kevin and CPSID are correct. you want it pre turbo. Now, you could get two, and monitor both if you like, but pre turbo in the manifold is what you really wanna pay attention too. I dont think I have ever seen above 1400 in mine, and i only have seen it once.I try to stay below 1300 at ALL costs even when playing. If I do get up there, its only for a few seconds. nothing longer.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:22 PM

Anyone have their pre-turbo gauge in before they got chips?

remember what your temps were?

It's been around 37-42* F outside recently, I just installed my EGT and my temps fully warmed up are about 300* while crusing maybe a little higher on the highway. This normal?
Old 12-04-2008, 06:26 AM

Seems really low. Crusing you should be in the 600 range. You sure its pre turbo and not in the down pipe?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:02 PM

it's at the flange of the driver side exhaust manifold, right before the up pipe.

Definatly not in the dp, but my truck never blows black smoke, even with the 5.6k mod so maybe there is a fueling issue? even though I made decent numbers on the dyno last week.

When I start my truck in the morning after the glow plugs warm the cylinders and it starts I can see about 600* peak on the gauge from the heated cylinder air going by the probe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.