Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

PHP and DP chip

26K views 158 replies 28 participants last post by  schlutzer 
#1 ·
I just got the hydra from php. I had been running a dp prior to it. After I put the php in, I took a joy ride. First off the shifting sucks. Dp's were much firmer and timed better. On 140 extreme the php would accelerate slower then when it shifted it fell on its face. The dp would hold you back the whole time until you let off. The 80 eco on the dp chip is more enjoyable to drive with than 140 on the php!
What is wrong here? I heard many positive reviews on the php.

#2 ·
All I know is on my E99 my truck feels MUCH better on PHP's tunes vs DP's. Almost no smoke and lower EGT's.

Power levels feel about the same between the various tunes on the highway. I can't comment on shifting as I was auto with DP and now stick with PHP

#3 ·
you will have to drive it more with the php your computer is learning the new shift points it will take a while. I put a php phoinex in my truck and it would slam into gears since it was unlockin the tc for 3-4 seconds before locking back up. Had to drive my auto like a stick and let off the fuel for shifts. Talk to php as well they could help you out as well.

#4 · (Edited)
The 4r100 has no learning time.

The 5r110 on the 6.0 and 6.4 has a learning time. How you go out and drive it the first time after loading a tune on the newer trucks with TCM's will be logged and it remembers that driving style. The 6R140 in the 6.7 will be the same on learning. So if you go out and hammer down a tow or daily driver tune the TCM will thinks that how you drive it all the time. If you don't want this result drive in the tune how it was designed to be driven in when you are adding tunes to 6.0l or newer truck. Each time you load another tune you will have to drive it again for a time to reset the computer to that driving style.

This is all due to the advancement in the computer technology over the 4r100 and E4OD designs. I will say the 6.7 is a lot faster to reset the TCM.

~Diane

#5 ·
Well I have the 4R100, so according to this, no learning time.
What explains the shoddy performance?

#6 · (Edited)
Each tuner tunes their own way when it comes to tunes you order right off each site. We are all custom tuners as well. This is when you call and say, "___ is what I want my tranny to do.

Which AD injectors do you have? Size? Your tranny will not be happy if the tunes are not set up to your performance mods.

~Diane

#7 ·
Give them a call or PM Jay on here.

I would expect there are some issues due to your 35" tires, that will miss time the shifting some. Also keep in mind that the throttle is much more linear with PHP, Gearhead, No Limit and likes tuning, DP tunes dump A LOT of fueling down low, giving the appearance of more power, when in fact its just tuning tricks that make it feel that way.

If you dont get any help let me know, I will ruffle a few feathers for you!

#8 ·
I e-mailed Jay just before I read your post. I'll see what he says then

#9 ·
Give them a call or PM Jay on here.

I would expect there are some issues due to your 35" tires, that will miss time the shifting some. Also keep in mind that the throttle is much more linear with PHP, Gearhead, No Limit and likes tuning, DP tunes dump A LOT of fueling down low, giving the appearance of more power, when in fact its just tuning tricks that make it feel that way.

If you dont get any help let me know, I will ruffle a few feathers for you!

You can't post without taking a jab at Jody's tuning even though the guy was happy with it. Keeping the converter locked out so you don't lug isn't tricking the ICP or fueling. :hehe: You don't even know what you're talking about. Communicating what you have and those mods being up to snuff will depend on the tuning outcome. I even said he needed to do call.

Joe it's time you come down off that high horse.

#11 ·
Diane,

Your tunes are known industry wide as being very NON-Linear... This is not me taking a shot. If I wanted to take a shot, trust me, you would hear it.

#12 ·
Jay will get ya straighten out:D

I love my tunes, but I do need a JW valve body too help with the first gear shift:(

#14 ·
I dont know how to find Jay on here :confused:
I just reverted to a good ol email. Now waiting....... Till then the F5 went back in.

#22 ·
i smash my friends 99 7.3 with dp tunes :rofl:

and i dont leave a coal cloud behind either.

this is my opinion only, other people really like dp and thats fine.

#28 ·
But to use your word of "upgrades" I see diff covers, turbos, engine parts ( rods, studs), intake and exhaust sections on your website. Which would make a person reason out, that you do sell "upgrades" not just tuning. Hell even shocks for lifted trucks are on there

#29 ·
Lots of tuning companies have performance upgrades on their sites. Doesn't mean that's what they specialize in:thumb:

We don't sell performance downgrades, sorry. :wink[3]:

Playtime is over for me. I've got work to do right now.

Have a great rest of the day!

~Diane

#30 ·
Dear Diane,

I will never buy a DP tuner. I will never buy a DP tuner because of your arrogance, immaturity and lack of professionalism. I do not know how your employer does not ban you from this site. You make the company look bad in how you treat potential customers on this board. You are also disrespectful, i have read a lot of threads you have posted in and they all seem to turn out negative....

I will never buy a DP tuner. I will never let one of my friends, coworkers or anyone i know that owns a 7.3L buy a DP tuner. Sooner or later you will realize that word of mouth is stronger than any advertising you could offer up and the crap people talk about you and your company will prevail. I already see a heck of a lot more people switching from DP to something else VS people going to DP from something else.

I will never buy a DP tuner.

Reactions: 7.3LDriver
#32 ·
How did me helping someone result to this? I even told the OP to contact his tuner so he can tell them what he wants. Geez!

I AM THE EMPLOYER/co-OWNER of DP-Tuner. If you have an issue with me defending my company and my husband's work then that's your right. That door swings both ways. You think I am being arrogant by posting facts about a trucks tranny? Really? This is why all the good sources are gone and refuse to post. The result of posts like yours is people not contributing their knowledge. I see other Vendors get out here and defend their products all the time and it's just peachy when they go so far as name calling. They get to stay on this site even though they blast people on the forums.

Are you thinking like you are because I am a women? Trust me there are plenty of women out here in this field who can hold their own. There may be many members here who you wouldn't have a clue they are female. Many don't contribute because of the very reason you posted back to me.

Good day sir!

#31 ·
everytime I see dp post up giving good customer service I see people comming out of the wood work to bash them...its your truck do what you want! and to dp thanks for being on this board and helping out those who need it, dont let these kids (or kid mental ability) get under your skin and just ignore them.

To: CarportMechanic, and CSIPSD...WE GET THE POINT now go somewhere else unless your going to offer help to the OP

To: OP it is a personal thing, the tunes I had from elite diesel where very "racey" and where to much for my like, all you have to do is call them. These are called custom tunes for a reason...

To all who are looking at custom tunes, the only true way to get the perfect tune exactly how you want is to have it live tuned but be prepared to pay for that...

#39 ·
Diane, Seriously,,,, you have to ask yourself,,,, How did this tread, like so many others, end-up where we are???

I know you want to blame this Forum and it's members. To you it's just people, with an agenda, who want to bash your product. Again, you're not to blame, nothing You can do about it - right?

I'm here to tell ya, YOU and your attitude, have to take some of the responsibility.....

#40 ·
Ok everyone, lets all go sit back down in our seats.
I got a call from Jay yesterday and talked about the issues. I have a rebuilt tranny with a valve body upgrade. He thought it sounded like the truck was defueling on shifts to "protect" the stock tranny. Since it's not stock, there is no need for defueling. "Bring it on" It can hammer through the shifts.

When I had the DP, Jody asked me if the tranny was stock or not and he tuned it to not be stock.

Since the Hydra allows "me" to pick the tunes out of a database, I picked the wrong ones. I picked the "regular" instead on the "valve body" ones. Jay said to try the VB ones and let him know. If it were still not to my liking, he said he would write something custom to make it like I wanted.

Everything is to my liking, now if I could only get a longer cable to the selector :rofl:

Thanks everybody for the help! Sorry I accidentally ruffled a few feathers.

#44 ·
Good deal! Love my Hydra chip, best chip you can OWN on a 7.3...

#53 · (Edited)
Wow you are both just as bad. From Diane making fun of mods people want to do to their trucks and being flat out rude to member, to you openly bashing essentially every other tuning company.

Actually your post
We know how to correctly tune the trans and engine. We had many other customers try others due to forum bias and then came back to good safe trans and engine tuning after trying others.
Makes it sound like you believe you are the only one that knows how to write tunes and everybody else is inferior.

If you tunes are so much better, why did my truck smoke like hell and have almost dangerous EGT's during anything more than a normal acceleration situation?

Also I'll test this myself. Please tell me what you consider to be a "safe" temperature for the PCM/chip to run, and what conditions will provide the highest temperatures. I'll measure and post up, sensitive temperature monitoring is part of my job, see if your claim has real basis

#54 ·
Wow you are both just as bad. From Diane making fun of mods people want to do to their trucks and being flat out rude to member, to you openly bashing essentially every other tuning company.

Actually your post Makes it sound like you believe you are the only one that knows how to write tunes and everybody else is inferior.

If you tunes are so much better, why did my truck smoke like hell and have almost dangerous EGT's during anything more than a normal acceleration situation?

Also I'll test this myself. Please tell me what you consider to be a "safe" temperature for the PCM/chip to run, and what conditions will provide the highest temperatures. I'll measure and post up, sensitive temperature monitoring is part of my job, see if your claim has real basis
You would be surprised at the tuners I have helped tune over the past years.

My tunes were hot because I do not run the excessive timing others run. You better get your rod blanket ready.

Tested on the bench at 68F after 3 hours the PCM processor was at 138F.

With our F5 and F6 it was at 78F.

Now how hot is it at summer temps???

Just look at the design and how the Hydra prevents the processor to cool due to it sitting right on top of the processor. Someone was not thinking when the chip was designed.

Jody

#60 ·
OMG:eek:hnoes:

People, can't we just all get along:please::please:

I'm not going to bash DP, because Justin was a huge help, but in the end PHP called me and gave me the best bang for my buck.

I have only heard about the high EGT's with DP, and blown motor's.

Now there is some type of "HOT" problem with a Hydra because the processor can't cool:doh: it's inside a sealed box, which is not sealed because the Hydra cable sticking out of it, so there is actually some ventilation now.

DP I'd love too have you see if you can tune my transmission's hard shift from 1-2nd, but I can't afford the live tune fee.

Lets all just have a big group hug or a :drinking4:

#61 ·
OMG:eek:hnoes:

People, can't we just all get along:please::please:

I'm not going to bash DP, because Justin was a huge help, but in the end PHP called me and gave me the best bang for my buck.

I have only heard about the high EGT's with DP, and blown motor's.

Thanks and that answers it o everyone. High EGT's = reduced timing which means safe and not blown motors. This just means with safe timing you need to watch your EGT's
Now there is some type of "HOT" problem with a Hydra because the processor can't cool:doh: it's inside a sealed box, which is not sealed because the Hydra cable sticking out of it, so there is actually some ventilation now.

That is the way I tested on the bench. Now what about the guys taping it in closing off any ventilation?

DP I'd love too have you see if you can tune my transmission's hard shift from 1-2nd, but I can't afford the live tune fee.

We are the best at tuning the trans and that is why I started tuning.

Lets all just have a big group hug or a :drinking4:
LOL

Jody

#63 ·
I skipped a couple of pages because... yeah. I hope Jay has you straightened out. PHP are the only tunes I've ran, and I've no complaints. Initially I had shifting so firm that I was fearful of grenading something. Another member clued me in on JW and after talking to John, I have a reconfigured valve body and my shifting is perfect. Good and solid, but not violent.

This seems to be the opposite of your issue. I'm currently on 34's, so I highly doubt tire size is the problem. If there wasn't something corrupt in the tuning file, my only other guess would be you having true trans issues.

But, before I jump on any wagon and say that your trans is done, let Jay work his magic. He'll get you set as straight as tunes will get you.

#66 ·
Yea, the tranny is fine. It was rebuilt 3 years ago and was fine until I put the PHP in. Its fine now, as I was using the wrong files. :thumb:

#65 ·
I cant believe all the hate due to this :(

I think I'm going to put the truck on Craigslist so I dont have to hear everyone argue and get an 04 5.9, or an 08 6.4 :ford:

Maybe then I can avoid pissing everybody off :nod:

#70 ·
I'm not sure why any of you are on your heels trying to let Jody know that you weren't trying to start any issues...

Am I the only one ready over his comments where he has a clear demeanor in bashing other companies?

Rather than promoting his own products, he is bashing on others to make himself / DP look better. He should be the one to cool his horses and realize people come to this forum for answers / tech talk. Not to listen to one person acting like his crap doesn't stink.

I disagree with bashing another company for any reason. Even if it is DP tuner ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#73 ·
I'm not sure why any of you are on your heels trying to let Jody know that you weren't trying to start any issues...

Am I the only one ready over his comments where he has a clear demeanor in bashing other companies?

LOL saying this after all of the PHP bashing of DP over the years even by Jay saying that we blow motors when PHP has blown way more.
Rather than promoting his own products, he is bashing on others to make himself / DP look better. He should be the one to cool his horses and realize people come to this forum for answers / tech talk. Not to listen to one person acting like his crap doesn't stink.

You might want to check your employers sponsorship on this and many other forums that they never pay to post. They freely post against us and many others. the starting post back to the OP was just to help him out and then CSIPSD had to make his comments.

I disagree with bashing another company for any reason.

You need to go back and read your posts.

My mother always taught me to keep my mouth shut if I didn't have anything nice to say about someone else.

Good and then we will not see many posts from you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks for your input.

Jody

#79 ·
Well this really hit a nerve with some, I try too stay down the middle not trying too pee anybody off.

But when I made the comment about my chip being vented because the ribbon cable is routed out the opening, did someone make the comment saying they don't tape the chip in???

I too also pm'd Jay, and I was guessing it was maybe the wrong HEX code was the issue, glad the guy is up and running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.