Dp Tuner question.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 08:10 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Bond Racing
Dp Tuner question....

Got a question about the DP.... What seems to be about the most hp/tq that the stock tranny can take before it starts slipping/giving problems? I will more then likely be adding a JW valve body later on but just would like to kind of get an idea. Will probably be going with No start, stock, 80hp eco, 80hp tow, 120race, 1200 high idle and not sure on the 140hp aggressive yet. Just trying to get an idea on some stuff here. Got gauges on their way right now and will more then likely be going with a 4" mbrp exhaust very soon, so far I like the sound of it the most and an I have an intake on the truck. I do pull a 7500lb trailer fairly often, if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help guys, It's greatly appreciated. (BTW hoping to see the F6 out soon)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2008, 08:14 PM

Why not call Diane and ask her. My guess is that it won't last to long. The stock tranny's are the weak link in these rigs.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:30 AM

I've gone about 40k miles of fairly aggressive driving on a completely stock tranny with the mods in my sig. I usually drive on 140 aggressive 90% of the time and 140 smoke the other 10%.

I still have no slippage. (knocks on wood)
Old 09-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond Racing View Post
Got a question about the DP.... What seems to be about the most hp/tq that the stock tranny can take before it starts slipping/giving problems? I will more then likely be adding a JW valve body later on but just would like to kind of get an idea. Will probably be going with No start, stock, 80hp eco, 80hp tow, 120race, 1200 high idle and not sure on the 140hp aggressive yet. Just trying to get an idea on some stuff here. Got gauges on their way right now and will more then likely be going with a 4" mbrp exhaust very soon, so far I like the sound of it the most and an I have an intake on the truck. I do pull a 7500lb trailer fairly often, if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help guys, It's greatly appreciated. (BTW hoping to see the F6 out soon)
Your stock tranny can start slipping when its stock. Especially if you tow a heavy amount of weight daily. Hard to hear, but true. When you add Hp Jody will make adjustments accordingly to the programming to help with slipping. Now if your trans is already slipping no amount of tuning magic will keep it from going. Bandaid it maybe, but for how long? A valve body is a great start to "tranny saving" Keep in mind if the clutches show ware you might as well just get a new tranny. You'll get a new VB with it anyway. If you go with John's VB Jody asks that you try his regular tunes first and see how you like the shifting. If you go BTS then yes you will need tunes to match what Brian has done mechanically.

Hope this helps.

Diane

Last edited by SeeYa; 09-21-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My stock trans lasted a couple of month with the mod in my sig before I completly lost 2nd. I guess 2nd is a common problem for these tranny's
Old 09-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

There is no magic number when the tranny's go bad. I have seen them fail after 10K stock miles and I have seen them last 200K being chipped, it's all in how you drive it and use the extra power. I have about 30K chipped and no problems, I had the FTVB prior to tunes and I love the FTVB valvebody and how my trans shifts. Greg has been doing the VB's longer than anybody else!! JW and BTS never even did it when I bought my FTVB, at least they didn't sell them! I also think your 80tow is to much for a 7500lb trailer. Jody told me he recommended 80 tow for under 5K, 60 tow for under 10K and the 40 tow for over 10K. You also don't need a 4" exhaust to control EGT's, the factory restriction is in the muffler not the size of the piping. The BTM muffler and AIS with Zoodad flows all the air I need and I have never had to back out of the go pedal due to high EGT's.

NCH
Old 09-24-2008, 08:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bond Racing
Thanks for the help folks, haven't been able to get on the .org lately. Been a little busy with work and some other things. I'll talk to jody about the tow tune when I order the chip and see what his advice is on it. The website says the 80hp tow was reccomended for 5-9k towing at sealevel or altitude but hey maybe I'm wrong. Can't wait to get the chip though, hear so many great things about it. (Hoping the F6 comes out soon). Again, thanks for the help folks. I appreciate it.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey Bond check this out

The long Anticipation is over...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.