Plans for truck-your input appreciated - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 01:21 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Plans for truck-your input appreciated

I'll start with what I've already done to my 2001 F350 SRW longbed crew. I've owned it for about a year. It is a 7.3/4R100 truck with 277k. The first thing I did was add Autometer EGT, trans, and boost gauges. Next was a 4" turbo back exhaust with a muffler (although you can see straight through it) with a 5"x12" tip. I'm using Shaeffer 5W40 full synthetic oil. I have the Donaldson equivalent to the NAPA 6637 air filter ordered. Although I do just drive it for enjoyment sometimes, the trucks primary mission is towing the camper/tractor/hay trailer/ect... I admit that being able to leave the occasional flat bill with his fart can Honda sitting there wondering what just happened might also be on the agenda...just once in a rare while

I have verified that it is a PMR engine by the serial number. The turbo appears to work as it should in stock form peaking at about 17 psi. On a recent 2100 mile trip to Key West pulling a 6500lb camper, it used no oil and averaged 11mpg. I intend to hook up a gauge to the HPOP soon to see what it's condition is as well as checking fuel pressure.

I'd like to get around 375 hp from this truck. I think I will go with (at least initially) No Limit Tuning and Design simply because they are only about 30 miles away. I was looking at a TS chip, Swamps 175/146 single shot injectors, and a billet compressor wheel.

Questions: Are these injectors a good choice for this application? Will the stock turbo with a billet wheel be sufficient or would I benefit from a different turbo? Since my primary use will be towing, would I possibly be better off with a van turbo? Am I staying within relatively safe parameters for a PMR engine? If this was your truck, would you approach it differently and how? Sorry for the long post...trying not to leave too many blanks.

One last question: I've read a lot on here with regard to disconnecting the red line to the wastegate. Many opinions have been offered but it seems no consensus was ever reached. Taking into account that I usually drive pretty gently, will this damage my turbo? Will it allow the turbo to spool up faster?

Last edited by Loganj01; 01-01-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Another question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you want around that amount of power, I believe you can get away with a set of high flow AD injectors from PIS, or a set of their 160/30s. The stock turbo with a wicked wheel should be able to handle this. As for the PMRs, tuning is key. I would, as well as most people on here, would recommend the Hydra from PHP, you can run anyones tuning on it.

Driving with the red line off the turbo shouldn't damage it, as long as the truck is mostly stock, just watch EGTs and make sure you aren't making an insane amount of boost on your stock turbo.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:05 PM

From the reading I've been doing, primarily on this forum, it seems that the single shot injectors are a more efficient design than the split shots in that they inject the fuel in one single spray and are less taxing on the HPOP. Is this correct or have I misunderstood? I'm guessing the 160/30 PIS units are the single shot design?

I did disconnect the red line. I noticed the turbo came online much faster and the truck seemed to pull harder out of the hole. In a WOT 0-80mph run, the pressure never exceeded 20 psi. I won't really know with regard to EGT until I hitch up a trailer and make it work a little.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:39 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
With pmrs I would look at gearhead tuning if you plan on going any bigger than stock injectors. I would just leave the red line connected, waste gates are awesome to have. They don't limit power in any way like a lot of people think, all is does is bleed off excess drive pressure. If anything I would adjust it a little tighter but with how weak the stock turbo is I would leave the waste gate functioning
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 AM

Talked to Casey at No Limits Tuning and Design this morning. He was very nice, answered all my questions, and never acted as though he was in a rush to get off the phone. He recommended a TS chip, stage 2's from PIS, and either a compressor wheel or their Brute 66 turbo if mine needed replacing to get me to around 400 hp while staying relatively safe with PMR's with the understanding that driving it like an idiot = sitting on the side of the road looking like an idiot I'm thinking that, since they are so close, getting shift points adjusted, fine tuning, ect shouldn't be an issue with the TS chip. They also offered to install it at no extra charge. Very nice folks.

Question: I know the programming has to be changed on an '01 to run the single shots. In the event that the chip fails, will the truck run at all on just the factory ECM? Enough to limp it home without causing engine damage? Or is that a situation where you call for a tow and pray they don't show up in a Dodge?
Old 01-02-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganj01 View Post
Talked to Casey at No Limits Tuning and Design this morning. He was very nice, answered all my questions, and never acted as though he was in a rush to get off the phone. He recommended a TS chip, stage 2's from PIS, and either a compressor wheel or their Brute 66 turbo if mine needed replacing to get me to around 400 hp while staying relatively safe with PMR's with the understanding that driving it like an idiot = sitting on the side of the road looking like an idiot I'm thinking that, since they are so close, getting shift points adjusted, fine tuning, ect shouldn't be an issue with the TS chip. They also offered to install it at no extra charge. Very nice folks.

Question: I know the programming has to be changed on an '01 to run the single shots. In the event that the chip fails, will the truck run at all on just the factory ECM? Enough to limp it home without causing engine damage? Or is that a situation where you call for a tow and pray they don't show up in a Dodge?
That is very close to the setup I'm looking at the only differance being, I might do a Honeybadger Jr with a 175/80 injector and a BTS trans. I also have the PMS which will be my limiting factor. Good luck with and keep us posted as to how you make out.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:

I'm glad you talked to the boys there... I was just going to recomend a set of P.I.S injectors! www.performanceinjectionsystems.com

Yes your truck will run fine with the split shot tuning and single shot injectors, makes no differance other then some idle and off idle querks. Here is a video I took with 250/200's with the chip removed.

Also, ask the guys at No Limit about the Hydra chip... I think its a far better platform then the TS chip... Tell them I told you to ask...

Old 01-02-2014, 08:37 AM

I did inquire about the Hydra chip. They said they didn't sell it and instead had something called an "F8" (I think). From what I've read, the Hydra offers more flexibility in that it allows you to run tunes from different vendors, it allows tunes to be loaded directly from a laptop, and it has capacity for 17 (or is it 15?) different programs. Are there other advantages to this platform? I was thinking that I wouldn't really need more than 6 different programs but I'm willing to listen to those of you who have already been there and done that.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I did inquire about the Hydra chip. They said they didn't sell it and instead had something called an "F8" (I think). From what I've read, the Hydra offers more flexibility in that it allows you to run tunes from different vendors, it allows tunes to be loaded directly from a laptop, and it has capacity for 17 (or is it 15?) different programs. Are there other advantages to this platform? I was thinking that I wouldn't really need more than 6 different programs but I'm willing to listen to those of you who have already been there and done that.
They will tune it... keep bugging them, there going to break down again.

I've got tunes on my Hydra from No Limit.

Dont get the F-8, half the tuners will not use it, not to mention it comes from DP, which right there sends up a red flag in my mind!
Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
They will tune it... keep bugging them, there going to break down again.

I've got tunes on my Hydra from No Limit.

Dont get the F-8, half the tuners will not use it, not to mention it comes from DP, which right there sends up a red flag in my mind!

You must not realize that NLTD has been selling the F8 for over 3 years with their tuning on it.

Why won't other tuners use it? It's because of post like this. You said to not use it so it must be bad. You've never used so you shouldn't tell lies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.