Bought a 99 Bus - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 07:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bought a 99 Bus

Its a 99 Van body bus, SRW 12 passenger or so. We all pitched in to get a rig to take on a ski trip. Runs great, passes all the tests I can think of. I have drained all fluids and refilled w/ synthetic in the drive train and quality oil in the engine.

It has 160K miles and very little blow by.

For our trip up the mountains we were hoping for a little more power out of the old bus. A bunch of tuning options aren't really the goal so unless hydra is cheaper than other options I think we will pass on that. The tune, exhaust, and intake will be the only mods this bus get probably.

Who makes good tunes that are safe for the trans and will give the extra MPG and Power need for a long trip over the mountains?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

That sounds awesome!
But to be totally honest, unless this is to be an ongoing project and driven a fair bit I would suggest saving your money and not buying a chip at all.

The power is nice but you will NEVER pay off the mods with fuel savings.
You would not be smart doing a tuner without some gauges. So that's a few hundred more. You don't need to do exhaust without a chip either.
Also, the trans will always be happier without tunes.
So just do a DIY intake and save the other $1000 for beer and lift tickets
Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the opinion.

It has EGT, boost and trans temp gauges. I'm not crazy about the big honkin filter mod but we did it (goes against my IAT experiences). Exhaust is just sawed off and side dumped in front of the axle w/ 5" tip.

The primary owner (my buddy went 50% out of 8 of us and is paying fuel round trip and stocking up on foods and stuff, we only paid 2100 total) might want injectors and a turbo next yr but he wont be changing tunes a lot or building his own.

Last edited by tanman_2006; 12-30-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Dp-tuner can flash the PCM to a safe 60hp economy tune for $110. I keep my truck in the 60hp tune 90% of the time anyway. I don't think I have ever seen over 1050* EGT in that tune. If you are open element filtered and straight piped exhaust then this would be some cheap useful power and it might even help a little on MPG's but I wouldn't count on it.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:03 PM

Well, against my advice my buddy bought a super chip flash paq model #1855. What results would that give us? After I told him what he could get a flashed PCM for he wouldn't say what he paid for the super chip.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have no experience with Super Chips but from what I have read on this forum, the common consensus here is the chip does nothing for the transmission as for tuning. A tune from a custom tuner will adjust shift points, line pressure, torque converter lockup and other parameters pertaining to the transmission which will help prolong the life of the transmission. A lot of people use the superchips but for heavy towing or in your case being loaded all the time(I am thinking your GVRW is much more than a truck) I think a tune from a custom tuner would be more beneficial.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 AM

Ok, so story now is the superchip is for an early 99 Ford truck but it wouldn't load to the bus.

Guy that bought the superchip thinks the bus might be a 98, I know trucks didn't have a 98 bit what about bus/van chassis?

I have the vin and pic of the door sticker. Says 03/99.

Source Unknown
Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 PM

The bus could have a totally different PCM code too.
Might need the find the PCM code and talk to a couple custom tuners to see if they can even do it
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM

I say throw some big injectors in there, turbo, and some tunes and see what happens.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
The bus could have a totally different PCM code too.
Might need the find the PCM code and talk to a couple custom tuners to see if they can even do it
Good point, is there anyway you can point me to a thread so I can know where to even find the PCM? I assume the PCM code will be labeled on the "chip".

Problem is the guy that is taking ownership of the bus has one of those "know it all" cousins that wants to make the superchip to work, he works in a tire shop so he is obviously an expert on tuning. He just gives me a blank stare when I ask about shift points, egt's, timing, and other factors that will need to be take into account. He usually looks at the box says "we can set it on 75hp performance tune for DD", sounds like a tranny smoker to me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.