Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

exhaust question

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SeeYa 
#1 ·
So the other day i was reading somewhere that the stock exhaust on our trucks is plenty big enough as far as performance goes. That the restriction is the muffler. And that all a person really needs to do is go straight pipe or go aftermarket. throwing on 4" andbigger piping is really overkill.....

Is this true? Exhaust is next on my list and if i dont have to spend 350+ dollars for a system then id like to simply change out the muffler for an aggrassive note and throw on a tip or a turndown.

What is yalls take?

#2 ·
The trick to getting more HP with our diesels is airflow. Yes, straight-piping or installing a performance muffler on your stock exhaust will open her up. But @ least a 4" exhaust is where it's @. For 1, it'll give you better gains than upgrading your stock exhaust, 2 most exhaust brands have tips that look better than the stock piece, & 3 depending on whether or not you straight-pipe it, it'll give you a sweet, throaty sound(straight-piping, obviously will be louder). I guess, really, it's all a matter of what you're looking for & what you want to spend.

#5 ·
I figured 4" is about where i should be at. Right now ive got afe stage 2 intake and a bully dog chip(very possible TW chip reburn) plus gauges to stay safe. After driving my ole '73 stang the other day i really miss hearing an exhuast note. It doesnt have to be loud but something throaty would be nice. the truck is mainly a DD/work truck and with the occasional "lets see what you got" at the light sorta thing. plus im more of a form follows function so i dont see the point is spending extra for stainless especially in my area....

any one got suggestions..

#11 ·
I would definitely go with what Raul has to offer. :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.