exhaust question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
exhaust question

So the other day i was reading somewhere that the stock exhaust on our trucks is plenty big enough as far as performance goes. That the restriction is the muffler. And that all a person really needs to do is go straight pipe or go aftermarket. throwing on 4" andbigger piping is really overkill.....

Is this true? Exhaust is next on my list and if i dont have to spend 350+ dollars for a system then id like to simply change out the muffler for an aggrassive note and throw on a tip or a turndown.

What is yalls take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang_1973 View Post
So the other day i was reading somewhere that the stock exhaust on our trucks is plenty big enough as far as performance goes. That the restriction is the muffler. And that all a person really needs to do is go straight pipe or go aftermarket. throwing on 4" andbigger piping is really overkill.....

Is this true? Exhaust is next on my list and if i dont have to spend 350+ dollars for a system then id like to simply change out the muffler for an aggrassive note and throw on a tip or a turndown.

What is yalls take?
The trick to getting more HP with our diesels is airflow. Yes, straight-piping or installing a performance muffler on your stock exhaust will open her up. But @ least a 4" exhaust is where it's @. For 1, it'll give you better gains than upgrading your stock exhaust, 2 most exhaust brands have tips that look better than the stock piece, & 3 depending on whether or not you straight-pipe it, it'll give you a sweet, throaty sound(straight-piping, obviously will be louder). I guess, really, it's all a matter of what you're looking for & what you want to spend.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:

What is yalls take?
We know several people that do just the Walker Big Truck muffler and they are just as happy with EGT's and sound as ones who have done a complete exhaust kit.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
just straight pipe it... i would rather see you do something else like gauges then doing an exhaust....

what all do you have done to your truck so far?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
The trick to getting more HP with our diesels is airflow. Yes, straight-piping or installing a performance muffler on your stock exhaust will open her up. But @ least a 4" exhaust is where it's @. For 1, it'll give you better gains than upgrading your stock exhaust, 2 most exhaust brands have tips that look better than the stock piece, & 3 depending on whether or not you straight-pipe it, it'll give you a sweet, throaty sound(straight-piping, obviously will be louder). I guess, really, it's all a matter of what you're looking for & what you want to spend.
I figured 4" is about where i should be at. Right now ive got afe stage 2 intake and a bully dog chip(very possible TW chip reburn) plus gauges to stay safe. After driving my ole '73 stang the other day i really miss hearing an exhuast note. It doesnt have to be loud but something throaty would be nice. the truck is mainly a DD/work truck and with the occasional "lets see what you got" at the light sorta thing. plus im more of a form follows function so i dont see the point is spending extra for stainless especially in my area....

any one got suggestions..
Old 09-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYa View Post
We know several people that do just the Walker Big Truck muffler and they are just as happy with EGT's and sound as ones who have done a complete exhaust kit.
whats that?
Old 09-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

well since you already have all the supporting mods i would do the 4" exhaust... then the TW reburn

dont forget about your trans...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:15 PM

I agree with Raul guages.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:15 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
I figured 4" is about where i should be at. Right now ive got afe stage 2 intake and a bully dog chip(very possible TW chip reburn) plus gauges to stay safe. After driving my ole '73 stang the other day i really miss hearing an exhuast note. It doesnt have to be loud but something throaty would be nice. the truck is mainly a DD/work truck and with the occasional "lets see what you got" at the light sorta thing. plus im more of a form follows function so i dont see the point is spending extra for stainless especially in my area....

There are plenty of manufacturers out there that have complete exhaust kits that'll give you a great sound & plenty of function. As much as I'd hate to say it, I love my Banks exhaust. It's got a mellow, throaty sound to it. You can get it either w/ or w/o the Power Elbow(which eliminates your EBPV & has a port for a pyrometer) & it also comes with a muffler delete pipe. It's pretty proven to increase airflow & lower EGTs. MBRP also makes a pretty sweet set-up you can get with either a muffler or muffler delete pipe.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:

MBRP, Magnaflow or one of our AL budget kits: Stealth Automotive. Stealth 4" Budget Kit

-Rau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.