3.5 inch straight pipe stock exhaust vs 4 inch aftermarket - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
3.5 inch straight pipe stock exhaust vs 4 inch aftermarket

Fellas,

I'm a new guy on here and I have a late '99 7.3. Its all stock except the previous owner cut off the muffler and put a patch in the exhaust pipe. I'm wanting to do the 6637 intake mod pretty soon and a chip eventually. My goal is more power and fuel efficiency. One of my buddies with a 7.3 says I should go with an aftermarket 4 inch exhaust. Is this necessary? I know i would gain some flow but is it worth the money? I don't plan on racing the truck or anything but it will be doing some towing and hauling around the farm. Anything real heavy I will use the one ton for. Any advice is welcome and thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It's not necessary for now. Get an exhaust gas temperature gauge and if you find it getting too hot than you may want to upgrade. But it will likely be fine
The bigger pipes are more for sound
Old 12-22-2013, 06:54 PM

X2. I wouldn;t worry about it. I rreally liked the sound my OBS had with a car delete and it's muffler. A Super Duty with cat and muffler delete will sound and perform well.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok thanks guys! The next thing on the list is gauges but trying to balance fun money with college money. I'm looking at the auto meter factory match gauges. What are y'all's thoughts on those gauges?
Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 PM

If you can save up a little more, get the factory match Isspro EV2 gauges. They are fully electrical and are a breeze to install compared to the others.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey Gaius,

is this a good deal on thes isspro gauges? it looks like it will include everything i need to install them.

Isspro EV 3 Gauge Kit, Ford (1999-07) Superduty, Black Face/Red Pointer (60psi Boost, EGT, Trans Temp)
Old 12-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jle223 View Post
hey Gaius,

is this a good deal on thes isspro gauges? it looks like it will include everything i need to install them.

Isspro EV 3 Gauge Kit, Ford (1999-07) Superduty, Black Face/Red Pointer (60psi Boost, EGT, Trans Temp)
Those are EV gauges, not EV 2's. The EV's are a mechanical gauge, not a full electric.

You can PM me and I can get you that same price for EV-2's, there just not a sponsor on here (and the admin already made me remove the links in my sig)...
Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 AM

Yup, look for the EV2. CSIPSD can hook you up.

My favorite about the EV2s (besides no bulky pyro or boost line) is you can daisy chain all three power wires to an infinite number of gauges. Really simplifies the wiring, and that's good for me because I HATE wiring. Plus they are local to me, which always sways me a little.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:42 PM

the major restriction in the stock exhaust is the muffler , the downpipe is second, it is only about 3 inches.

a 4 inch system has a straight through muffle or straight pipe and larger 4 inch downpipe, so no restriction.

4 inch diamond eye straight pipe is 230 from alligator performance hard to beat it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6637, exhaust, flow, intake, straight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.