Gauges and tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face Gauges and tune

Hi Guys! I am new to the diesel scene, but not new to turbo's and DIY builds. I've done some researching and I need help with which way to go for gauges and tune. My boss let me borrow his power pup with a basic tune just to get the bug started and it worked. I want to keep cost down, but I dont mind spending money on what needs to be. Not looking for huge power and not looking to blow the tranny up right away. I am pretty set on a DPtuner and I like the clean install and function of a digital gauge display but I haven't put together what I need or where to buy from. Haven't dropped the idea of mech. gauges either though.

My truck is bone stock power wise, 01' f250. I plan on 4in. ex and afeII intake.

I am overwhelming myself, I just want to do it right the first time around and as quickly as possible. Thanks for help in advance! -Rick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
their are a few options you can do in digital...

quadzilla commander is one of them...

the dash daq is another but is very expensive...

i would recommend the intake and exhaust before you put the tuner on...

here are some of our gauge kits: Stealth Automotive. Gauge Kits

i like the look of analog gauges better.... when i had both digital and analog i found myself looking at the pillar gauges more than the digital... to me they were easier to read

-Raul
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
just look around at a few sponsors on here. dp tuner or ts with tony wildman tunes are what i hear the 7.3 guys are talkin about. theres some great guys on here that can help you out with any questions you got

and ill be the first to say
Old 09-10-2008, 05:14 PM

+1 for raul, great guy and easy to deal with!

and welcome to the org! or should i say addiction...
Old 09-11-2008, 02:59 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

You don't just throw extra ponies at a stock drivetrain!!! You will have problems!! First is gauges, I like Isspro, next you need a better flowing intake and exhaust to keep EGT's under control. You can do the homemade TYMAR, Stage II or my recommendation the Ford AIS, for the AIS go to powerstrokeshop.comFord Parts and Ford Diesel Parts at Powerstroke Shop and ask for Bob tell him I sent you. For exhaust, you don't need a 4" exhaust, I know this goes against the grain, but it's true, the restricton is the muffler, either straight pipe it or install the Walker BTM muffler, then you need to support the auto trans, a valvebody from BTS or my favorite FTVB, will do the trick. Now and only now is the time to add more ponies. I agree Jody is the man. I buy direct from him. Tunes are up to you. PM me with any ?

NCH

Last edited by Dave; 09-11-2008 at 01:19 PM. Reason: deleted non sponsor link
Old 09-11-2008, 10:45 AM

Isspro for your gauges... Check out the Performax lineup.

Tony or Jody for your tunes, and a good valve body in the tranny.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
For exhaust, you don't need a 4" exhaust, I know this goes against the grain, but it's true, the restricton is the muffler, either straight pipe it or install the Walker BTM mufflerNCH
I dont know if i'd agree with that. Sure the muffler is resrictive, but i'd say the downpipe has a much more of an effect on the flow or the egt's
Old 09-11-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm stroker View Post
I dont know if i'd agree with that. Sure the muffler is resrictive, but i'd say the downpipe has a much more of an effect on the flow or the egt's

On a OBS, you would be correct, but on the superdutys they have a mandrel bent 3.25" down pipe to begin with. It is almost the EXCACT same size as the turbo outlet. 70% or better of the restriction on the factory exhaust is the POS factory muffler.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM

gauges and tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
You don't just throw extra ponies at a stock drivetrain!!! You will have problems!! First is gauges, I like Isspro, next you need a better flowing intake and exhaust to keep EGT's under control. You can do the homemade TYMAR, Stage II or my recommendation the Ford AIS, for the AIS go to powerstrokeshop.comFord Parts and Ford Diesel Parts at Powerstroke Shop and ask for Bob tell him I sent you. For exhaust, you don't need a 4" exhaust, I know this goes against the grain, but it's true, the restricton is the muffler, either straight pipe it or install the Walker BTM muffler, then you need to support the auto trans, a valvebody from BTS or my favorite FTVB, will do the trick. Now and only now is the time to add more ponies. I agree Jody is the man. I buy direct from him. Tunes are up to you. PM me with any ?

NCH
Interesting,but don't you think a 4" exhaust & down pipe flows better than a 2" pipe.Now a 5" your talking go juice.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie View Post
Interesting,but don't you think a 4" exhaust & down pipe flows better than a 2" pipe.Now a 5" your talking go juice.

huh??? Who is talking about a 2" pipe...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.