TS Performance Chip Installed, Fuel Economy Went...Down? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 04:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TS Performance Chip Installed, Fuel Economy Went...Down?

Hey everybody. I have owned my 2000 PSD (crew cab, long bed, 4x4, automatic, all stock) for about 4 or 5 months now, and while it has been a pretty good truck so far, the one thing I have been disappointed in is the fuel economy. Now, I knew it wouldn't get 21mpg like my old Cummins did, but the average I have been seeing out of the truck is about 15 mpg while empty, and typically 11 to 12 while towing. I replaced the fuel filter and air filter, changed the oil and filter, etc. So I decided to try a TS Performance 6 position chip, which *everyone* claims is good for anywhere from 2 to 4 mpg.

I installed the chip last week, and after working out some bugs (basically, making sure the terminals on the ECU were clean enough) it seemed to be working- I had stock, fast idle, and 4 HP ranges from 50 to 140+. Per the recommendation from TSP's tech support, I put the selector in 75HP mode (they said that would give the best fuel economy) and we proceeded to drive the truck 300 miles, mostly highway, to visit my parents for Thanksgiving. Typically, in this type of driving, the truck would get about 15mpg. But it got worse. Much worse. We averaged 12.5. Eeek.

On the way back I made sure that I drove the whole way, kept a light foot and set the cruise at 65 on long, straight, level stretches of highway. We still only managed a little over 13 mpg.

What is everyone else's experience with this chip? (and please, no "TS sux!!!!" type of comments...I'm looking for constructive help, not biased opinions) Anyone else getting worse fuel economy? I went with the TS because it was less than the cost of other chip options, and I really don't need or want a fancy readout screen or anything. I simply wanted better fuel economy. And boy...did I not get it. :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 05:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is that hand calculated mileage?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-02-2013, 05:46 AM

Dude, the other companies you didnt want to buy from cause they were more expensive write specific tunes for your truck and might have given you better fuel economy. You got canned tunes in a TS style chip. Have you even verified its the chip? Have you pulled it out and driven stock to see if your mileage comes back?

What you pay?

You can get a PHP chip for $300 shipped to your door with custom tunes. I cant imagine you found a TS chip much cheaper unless it was used.

Good news is you can have it reburned with custom tunes.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoalRollinRoosterCruiser View Post
Is that hand calculated mileage?

Yes, hand calculated. I always fill the tank, record the mileage, etc.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarportMechanic View Post
Dude, the other companies you didnt want to buy from cause they were more expensive write specific tunes for your truck and might have given you better fuel economy. You got canned tunes in a TS style chip. Have you even verified its the chip? Have you pulled it out and driven stock to see if your mileage comes back?

What you pay?

You can get a PHP chip for $300 shipped to your door with custom tunes. I cant imagine you found a TS chip much cheaper unless it was used.

Good news is you can have it reburned with custom tunes.
$300 for the TSP chip, new from XDP. I just installed the chip, and mileage went from about 15 to about 13. Same driver, same type of driving.

I don't know why I need "custom tunes" or why "canned tunes" are bad. My truck is 100% stock.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:28 AM

It's not that they are all bad it's that custom is tuned for you application. There is several configurations of the 7.3. Obs, early 99, late 99 different computers etc. I gained 2 mpg's going from a superchips to custom.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 AM

So do you send in your computer and they tune based on that? Are there better ECU's to use with my truck than the stock one? The TS chip guide said this one was for a late 99 to 01.5, and my truck is a 2000 which fits right in the middle. Unless someone swapped out the computer? Would any 99-2003.5 ECU work with my truck? Any ideas what P/N computer I should have?

Thanks!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Emergency Services

No need to change PCMs. Just send your chip into the custom tuner that you choose, and tell them all of the specs of your truck. They will put their custom tunes on it for you, then send it back to you. Simple as that. Also technically these are canned custom tunes for future reference. Custom tunes are more dialed into a specific truck based on injectors, turbo, and hpop options.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 AM

When I ordered mine they asked for the code off the PCM. So I guess the tunes are based on that. I know that the truck runs a lot better than before. Power is better and shift a lot better. I would suggest talking to one of the tuners out there and get their take on it. My experience with my dp chip has been great.

Last edited by early99psd; 12-02-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:16 AM

Did a little lookingonline...PHP is basically a TSP chip with custom canned tunes? Spoke to KT Perf and they rec'd the 80HP driver for best fuel economy, and whatever other tunes I wanted (hi idle, 65HP tow, etc). Don't really care about racing, and I want this truck to last another 150,000 miles. Anyone experience their "whisper" tune? Is it worth it for, say, pulling into the driveway late at night and not waking the neighbors, etc.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.