Who Here Has Water/Meth Injection? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 08:07 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Who Here Has Water/Meth Injection?

I've been toying with the idea of trying out water/meth injection. I've seen many diesels equipped with w/m, Cummins trucks being the #1 end users, Duramax #2, & I've seen 1 6.0L PSD with it, but I've never seen a 7.3L PSD equipped with w/m.

For starters, where would you install the nozzles? Air filter tube to turbo? Intake manifold near cold side IC tube? Does anyone have any pics of their install?

As far as brand names & kits, the 2 I get the most information from is for the Snow Performance kit & also the Painless Striker I & II kits. The problem with the Snow Performance kit is price. It's up there. The Painless kit isn't too far off, but Snow's price makes me sad. As far as both kits, there really isn't a good variation of w/m reservoir tanks, is there? Both basically have the "go BIG or go home" tanks & then Painless offers either a 7gal tank...........& then goes right down to a 2qt tank(?????????????????). And they offer nothing in between like a 1gal, 2gal, 3gal, etc. 2 QUARTS!? I'm all about large capacity when it comes to stuff like this, but I wouldn't imagine I'd be using w/m every single time I took the truck out. I'd hate to have 7gal of "Boost Juice" I'm not using all the time sloshing around in the reservoir, or have to keep refilling it because a 2qt res gets sucked down too fast.

Maybe there's something I'm missing. Can anyone give me any more info on these kits or other reasonably priced kits? Can you also give me any input on your own personal experiences with usage, mileage, installation fun, etc? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I installed my nozzles in the cold side I/C pipe.

Cooling Mist is the best kit on the market. They use the best pumps and when it comes to water/meth pressure is key.

It is very safe to use but should not be used if your looking for a power adder. It is an EGT reducer, you will see some power gains but there are other options for that.
You can get any sized water tank from northern tool and mount it in your bed.
You can run straight water, windshield washer fluid or any expensive "boost juice". I ran straight water and added a cutting oil to each tank.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:34 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglike View Post
I installed my nozzles in the cold side I/C pipe.

Cooling Mist is the best kit on the market. They use the best pumps and when it comes to water/meth pressure is key.

It is very safe to use but should not be used if your looking for a power adder. It is an EGT reducer, you will see some power gains but there are other options for that.
You can get any sized water tank from northern tool and mount it in your bed.
You can run straight water, windshield washer fluid or any expensive "boost juice". I ran straight water and added a cutting oil to each tank.
I appreciate the insight, man. As far as application, like you said, I want to keep EGTs down for towing. I've got a camper that weighs over 10,000lbs. & the average I see under load for EGTs is around 1000*(-ish). There have been a couple of times it's reached a hair over 1100* & on the steepest grade, it came close to 1150*. I know these aren't extremely hot temps(but HOT nonetheless), I'm sure bringing the EGTs down anyway I can will save some engine wear & gain some MPG.

Who carries the Cool Mist kit? Can you find it from one of the vendors here? This is probably a really stupid question, but can these kits be shut off on the fly when they're not needed? Or would the system have to stay on a minimum setting as long as the system's hooked up & live? I know you can tune these from a module, but none of the kits gets into detail of how they operate.

Last edited by RadarRider; 11-25-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
I appreciate the insight, man. As far as application, like you said, I want to keep EGTs down for towing. I've got a camper that weighs over 10,000lbs. & the average I see under load for EGTs is around 1000*(-ish). There have been a couple of times it's reached a hair over 1100* & on the steepest grade, it came close to 1150*. I know these aren't extremely hot temps(but HOT nonetheless), I'm sure bringing the EGTs down anyway I can will save some engine wear & gain some MPG.

Who carries the Cool Mist kit? Can you find it from one of the vendors here? This is probably a really stupid question, but can these kits be shut off on the fly when they're not needed? Or would the system have to stay on a minimum setting as long as the system's hooked up & live? I know you can tune these from a module, but none of the kits gets into detail of how they operate.
I know nothing about water meth injection but the new Issapro EV2 gauges have a new deal where you can set up programmable triggers. So like if your EGT's hit 1250 you can set it to turn your water meth on at that temp or even sooner if you wish, Probably the easiest way of dong this.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarportMechanic View Post
I know nothing about water meth injection but the new Issapro EV2 gauges have a new deal where you can set up programmable triggers. So like if your EGT's hit 1250 you can set it to turn your water meth on at that temp or even sooner if you wish, Probably the easiest way of dong this.

Good luck!
Thanks, man! Who carries the EV2? I'd like to check this out as well.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
Thanks, man! Who carries the EV2? I'd like to check this out as well.
Not sure who carries them as i have not had to replace the ones my truck came with yet but this is the thread that i first saw on this subject. I re read it and i guess if you already have EV2 gauges it is an add-on to the gauges. Fairly cheap also.

Isspro Programable triggers!!!

For the application you would be using it for i think its perfect. Otherwise there are other gauges that have warning lights already and are cheaper. I like the Isspro gauges and will go this route once i start to upgrade more and need to monitor more things.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:14 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarportMechanic View Post
Not sure who carries them as i have not had to replace the ones my truck came with yet but this is the thread that i first saw on this subject. I re read it and i guess if you already have EV2 gauges it is an add-on to the gauges. Fairly cheap also.

Isspro Programable triggers!!!

For the application you would be using it for i think its perfect. Otherwise there are other gauges that have warning lights already and are cheaper. I like the Isspro gauges and will go this route once i start to upgrade more and need to monitor more things.
Much appreciated, man. I need all the info I can get!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:07 PM

Hopefully CSIPSD will chime in here as he has the new Isspro gauges with the triggers and water/meth injection. Hopefully he has got around to hooking them up.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:51 PM

I've been running water injection for over 10 years now.

Cooling Mist is far and above the best kit on the market. Better pumps, better nozzles and better controlers.

However water injection should NOT be looked at as a HP mod, only a cooling mod.

I honestly doubt you would benifit that much from Water injection, if your only seeing 1150* you still have alot to go at this point.

As for the programable triggers, its still in testing right now. I have the gauge installed (just another boost gauge) but did not have time to tie it into the water injection this weekend. I hope to have time this comming week, but I just got dumpped into an Army Corps job mid stream, so I have some "reading" to do.

Yuck!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:40 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
I've been running water injection for over 10 years now.

Cooling Mist is far and above the best kit on the market. Better pumps, better nozzles and better controlers.

However water injection should NOT be looked at as a HP mod, only a cooling mod.

I honestly doubt you would benifit that much from Water injection, if your only seeing 1150* you still have alot to go at this point.

As for the programable triggers, its still in testing right now. I have the gauge installed (just another boost gauge) but did not have time to tie it into the water injection this weekend. I hope to have time this comming week, but I just got dumpped into an Army Corps job mid stream, so I have some "reading" to do.

Yuck!
Thanks, CSI, but what about the fact my truck still has powdered metal rods? I thought my threshold was more around 1200*-1250*? Is there still any chance of a benefit from w/m?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.