Nitrous!Good or bad idea? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 05:21 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Nitrous!Good or bad idea?

I have a 2000 7.3 zf6, I have 160/80's, a regulated return, and tuning from gearhead, nothing else really that adds a drastic amount of power there just supporting. My truck goes pretty good but obviously I would like more power if I can get it. Would nitrous make it pop? and if not would it be worth it for such a small build, it smokes but not excessively so I figure at a minimum it would clean that up but would the spike in CP be dangerous? Also what else could I add to make more power, I don't think I need more HPO, and I think I have plenty of fuel supply for such small injectors correct? so other than injectable stuff like nitrous, propane and water-meth I am really at the mercy of my injectors right? I fret every day that I didn't just buy big hybrids. I'm planning on buying another truck soon (if I can find a clean one) and doing a pretty large build so should I just hold off on what I have now with this truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Banned

What use do you want out of Nitrous?

Just for racing now and then or?

Are you studded?

Without knowing your fuel pressure its hard to say if you have fuel issues.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
Oh ya nitrous will make her pop. Pop the heads right off from it lol. Do you have a stock turbo or have you updated that?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Stock turbo, and its not studded. My fuel pressure stays at 65psi then drops to 55 at wot, i've heard 60psi is sort of a baseline.

Last edited by powerstroke1098; 11-20-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:36 PM

I would be planning on a small shot if it was even possible without lifting the heads. Also CISPSD did you see a hp gain from water injection or just a reduction in EGT's? Thanks for the help by the way!

Last edited by powerstroke1098; 11-20-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:51 PM

I don't know about nitrous specifically for the 7.3
But as a general guideline, nitrous is safe so long as you don't over do it and retard the timing for bigger hits.
If I was going to do it, I would only do a 50-75 shot and use and rpm window switch to prevent hitting it below 2500rpm and spiking pressure to much.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:04 AM

Get yourself a regulated return and a fuel lab pump or a SRP 1.1 HPOP. I gained over 200ft/lb of torque with both of these installed on the same setup. MY hpop held 2400psi before. IN addition fuel pressure was like yours.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572ysc View Post
Get yourself a regulated return and a fuel lab pump or a SRP 1.1 HPOP. I gained over 200ft/lb of torque with both of these installed on the same setup. MY hpop held 2400psi before. IN addition fuel pressure was like yours.
wayyyyy before that for the OP is a turbo of some kind... NOS=dyno queen or Track only part.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572ysc View Post
OP says he has regulated return in the first sentence.

I would definitely pass on nitrous for your truck. You could better spend your money elsewhere for more power. You would likely need bigger injectors for a hit big enough to amount to anything, unless you just want to spray it to say you did.. leave that to the Honda kids.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:00 AM

Nitrous is not a fuel all your doing is changing the amount of oxygen in your combustion generally speaking your turbo can get plenty of forced air into the engine most serious builds just use the nitrous to emulate boost until the turbo catches up but it can be added to the turbo as well long story short regardless of what you do you will need a custom tune so before you do it talk to your tuner he should be able to tell you what your limits are and generally if it's not a track queen your wasting time and money good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, fuel, hpop, nitrous, turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.