7.3 home made compound turbos? - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2008, 05:56 AM
What u talkin bout willis

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to REDPOWERSMOKER Send a message via Yahoo to REDPOWERSMOKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZL JIM View Post
Red,
That's Charles that built those for his own truck. The guy is pretty bright and definitely did his homework and ended up with a great set of twins.

cchase,
I have a bunch of pics on my site in the link above of everything you need to know to build twins. What else do you need to know or are confused about? Don't complicate things, it's actually pretty easy once you get a grasp on what's involved. The hard part is making it all fit under the hood. (aside from the previously mentioned 'Hard Part' of making the 2 work well together.)

GTS,
Just like you said that you don't need custom programming to run custom injectors, I could say that any turbo that flows more air than the stock turbo will work for a twin set up. It might not be optimum, but it'll be better than a single. Even with my cheap, crappy HT3B feeding my stock turbo, the difference was amazing and quit fun to drive. The HT3B only flows like 1000 cfm, the 38R, I was told, is a hair more than that. Haven't confirmed it, though everyone that has one that I've talked with gain about 100 hp with it so I'm guessing it moves some air...

yea ive talked with him a couple of times through pm on youtube and seen all his pictures i could tell he knew what he was doing just by his pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Thumbs down

I am thining about stacking a gt35r and something like a gt42 or a t6 because i am a sick person. But my personal goal is to humble a friend of mine and his stacked up jacked up dodge on toyo 40's running 3 chips and a hybrid 70mm turbo. I mean thats just sick... its still a dodge!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does that guy in michigan have a website?
Old 09-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtspowerstroke View Post
A 38R with a stocker would be pointless. The system will only flow as much as the biggest turbo would by itself. It's what's feeding the system. A 38R will spool very well on these engines so there is no point in having it be the big turbo in the system. You'd want to add something a lot bigger. Like the GT47 or something similar. This is what I was talking about the hard part being knowing what to put with what. You need to find a turbo that has the flow capabilities you need then compare the map of it to the map of the smaller turbo that you want to run and find two that will compliment each other rather than fight with each other. I'd suggest picking up a book entitled Turbochargers by Hugh Maclnness. It goes over a lot of theory and has a secton for sizing compounds.
I have that book. Good info, a bit dated.. but good.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
I have that book. Good info, a bit dated.. but good.
Yeah it is a little dated but the principals are still the same. It's the best I've found on turbos so far. Especially for our application.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:00 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Could a set of 08 twins be used or one of the turbos..got a set I'd like to use either by themselves or with the H2e??
Old 09-04-2008, 11:05 AM

Well you are taking a set of twins designed to work well on a 6.4L engine at stock power levels and expecting them to work on a 7.3L engine with completely different air flow requirements at over the power levels they were designed for. Probably not going to work to make good power with. Might work OK to make a little over stock power with a quick spool up but the stock turbo does that OK.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Could a set of 08 twins be used or one of the turbos..got a set I'd like to use either by themselves or with the H2e??

Just the CI difference would make me say no.

EDIT: See above post.^^^^
Old 09-04-2008, 11:10 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
im pissed I cant even find the dang new issue around the school or gas stations. WTF. dont mean to hijack but 07stroker thats a beautiful truck ya gotchaself
Old 02-16-2011, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstoyz View Post
your not to far from me. the diesel performance guy who built my truck does twin setups on 7.3's and says its pretty easy on them. now the 6.0's are alot harder to do. if you want, i can give you his # and heres a pic of his new truck with twins. sorry for the crappy pic. it was with my cell phone.

That is one sick setup !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.