7.3 home made compound turbos? - Page 2 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A 38R with a stocker would be pointless. The system will only flow as much as the biggest turbo would by itself. It's what's feeding the system. A 38R will spool very well on these engines so there is no point in having it be the big turbo in the system. You'd want to add something a lot bigger. Like the GT47 or something similar. This is what I was talking about the hard part being knowing what to put with what. You need to find a turbo that has the flow capabilities you need then compare the map of it to the map of the smaller turbo that you want to run and find two that will compliment each other rather than fight with each other. I'd suggest picking up a book entitled Turbochargers by Hugh Maclnness. It goes over a lot of theory and has a secton for sizing compounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 01:46 PM

Red,
That's Charles that built those for his own truck. The guy is pretty bright and definitely did his homework and ended up with a great set of twins.

cchase,
I have a bunch of pics on my site in the link above of everything you need to know to build twins. What else do you need to know or are confused about? Don't complicate things, it's actually pretty easy once you get a grasp on what's involved. The hard part is making it all fit under the hood. (aside from the previously mentioned 'Hard Part' of making the 2 work well together.)

GTS,
Just like you said that you don't need custom programming to run custom injectors, I could say that any turbo that flows more air than the stock turbo will work for a twin set up. It might not be optimum, but it'll be better than a single. Even with my cheap, crappy HT3B feeding my stock turbo, the difference was amazing and quit fun to drive. The HT3B only flows like 1000 cfm, the 38R, I was told, is a hair more than that. Haven't confirmed it, though everyone that has one that I've talked with gain about 100 hp with it so I'm guessing it moves some air...
Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZL JIM View Post
GTS,
Just like you said that you don't need custom programming to run custom injectors, I could say that any turbo that flows more air than the stock turbo will work for a twin set up. It might not be optimum, but it'll be better than a single. Even with my cheap, crappy HT3B feeding my stock turbo, the difference was amazing and quit fun to drive. The HT3B only flows like 1000 cfm, the 38R, I was told, is a hair more than that. Haven't confirmed it, though everyone that has one that I've talked with gain about 100 hp with it so I'm guessing it moves some air...
Jim that is quite a stretch to try to start an argument.

The HT3B is significantly larger than a stock turbo or a GP38R. There are a lot of guys running those as twins on Dodges with an HX35 or HX40 as a small turbo. I know of one guy making high 500hp range with an HX35/40 small turbo and an HT3B as the big turbo.

I guess if you wanted to be very technical anything larger than stock might show you some slight gains. But you'd need the added fuel to utilize the extra air or it would be even more pointless than it would already be. Especially when you have a turbo such as a GTP38R that spool as fast or faster than a stock turbo as it is. It would probably make for a slower spooling set up due to the added restriction in the exhaust of the 2nd turbo until the 2nd turbo got spooling as well.

This is completely different than needing a custom burn on your chip for custom injectors.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
there will be fuel for the turbos, the trucks getting stage 3s next week.

I guess Jim, what i am a bit confused is, yes how to make it fit, and 2 which turbo would you want to feed into the other?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:42 PM

The big turbo will feed the small turbo on the compressor side. The exhaust side will go through the small turbo first then the big turbo 2nd. To make it fit you just got to find a good spot for the turbo to live and plumb it in. Some have removed one battery and put the turbo in the front corner of the engine compartment. Others have squeezed them in tight on top of the engine. You could look for some pics of what others have done to get some ideas.

Something else to consider is you will want a decent waste gate on the small turbo. If you don't you will likely toast it from overspooling it. Generally the small turbo can't handle the larager amount of exhaust going through it so you need to have a way to bypass it. Depending on how big you go the stock waste gate won't handle it. the best gate to get would be a Newgen from Turbonetics but they are EXPENSIVE!!! But they work sweet!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:50 PM

your not to far from me. the diesel performance guy who built my truck does twin setups on 7.3's and says its pretty easy on them. now the 6.0's are alot harder to do. if you want, i can give you his # and heres a pic of his new truck with twins. sorry for the crappy pic. it was with my cell phone.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
Thanks Jeff, I would love to give him a call and ask him about this. I have a very nice diesel shop close to me, but i havent had the chance to ask him. I like to go into things with all posible information.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamstoyz View Post
your not to far from me. the diesel performance guy who built my truck does twin setups on 7.3's and says its pretty easy on them. now the 6.0's are alot harder to do. if you want, i can give you his # and heres a pic of his new truck with twins. sorry for the crappy pic. it was with my cell phone.

dang!!!
is his exhaust 4-real comeing out of his fender?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:58 PM

yeah thats for real al right. just wanted to be different. he took 2nd place at autorama here in michigan. truck also has 2 stage nitrous. heres another pic of the truck
Old 08-14-2008, 07:06 PM

that red bull drink is the reason he took 2nd lol
it gave it wings lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.