1999 Powerstroke Boost Limited? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 Powerstroke Boost Limited?

Hey guys so i just wanna say that I am new to the diesel scene. So sorry if any of this sounds dumb.

I just recently purchased a early 1999 7.3 L Powerstroke F350 Super Duty with the Automatic 4R100 tranny. It has 207,000 miles on it. A few of the upgrades include: AFE Cold Air Intake, Edge Evolution chip, Banks Wicked Wheel turbo wheel upgrade, 5 inch straight pipe turbo back exhaust with a 4" downpipe, Aftermarket Fuel Lab Fuel Regulating system, 140 hp injectors, Aftermarket fuel injector rods (dont know the name). So basically all of this was installed on the truck when i purchased it... (for 9000!)

My question is that even with the truck in extreme mode 100 hp and 200 torque even when i hammer on the gas I still can only push 20 lbs of boost. I am curious if some sort of a computer fooler would work to help let it spool up to around 25-30. I know that the hp and torque is there i am just wanting to spool up more boost. Im planning on playing with the shift points programming on the chip. I have also heard that you can use a 4.7 V 1 W Zener diode as a turbo fooler. Does this work? If not im planning on getting a boost fooler kit that will plug into my system.

I guess what im getting at is how do i make more boost? Will a some sort of a computer fooler work?

Last edited by Powersmoke1999; 11-14-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: wrong information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 09:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

First things first... Get rid of the edge! Get a tuning company like PHP, TonyWildman, Beans, Gearhead to write you custom tunes based around the mods that you have in your truck. It will make a world of difference!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:49 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You will need a Boost fooler. Mech one.

FYI..stage 4 140 hp single shot injectors ..no such injector

We can help with your performance mods.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So a electronic boost fooler doesn't work? or doesn't work as well as a mechanical one? What are the advantages of the mechanical one.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:48 AM

They don't protect the map from hi boost pressures for one.
The majority of the pressure relief set ups I've seen blow off actual boost and do not isolate excess boost to the MAP side only, leaving the manifold pressure able to rise. The electric modifications don't allow MDFR (Mass Desired Fuel Rate) on the low end early enough since they mitigate the overall boost by a percentage.
The Following User Says Thank You to CT Performance, Inc. For This Useful Post:
Powersmoke1999 (11-14-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What stage do you think my injectors are then? I have the paperwork they are 140 hp class B injectors so i think that means bus class. Im new to this stuff so I'm curious what i've got.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:43 PM

Who's inj's what are the specs.

DT466s and I530E injectors are B codes. But you need to know what's inside them, nozzles used etc...
Old 11-16-2013, 05:42 AM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
If your turbo is still stock thats a likely reason you arnt seeing high boost the D66 is the one that will fit our E99 trucks. As for a custome tune that up to you I got one and it was harder on my tranny then my edge evoulution was so I went back to the edge and unplugged the custom chip that are "way better then canned tunes" some how. but again its up to you id say stick with what you have for now.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:24 AM

my cutom tunes shift firmer/harder than my superchips or edge did. but with way less flare or sloppy shifts.

but after 70k miles (i know i put it off) with my php i dropped the trans pan and changed the filter and fluid and their was ZERO material in the pan.

the original tranny in my truck was eaten by the previous owner, who of course, used an edge evolution

everytime i drive by the local tranny shop and see a 7.3 parked out front, they usually have a nice fancy EDGE sticker on the fender.

arent b codes hybrids, which are single shot injectors?
and unless someone loaded custom tunes on your edge programmer, your edge evolution would have tuning for split shots.
so something doesnt seem right. and if you had bigger injectors you would be seeing huge boost numbers with the stock turbo. which would blow it up sooner than later. and extremely high egts to boot.

Last edited by blue99stroker; 11-16-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Location: Lowville, New York. Studying Mechanical Eng. @ Suny Canton
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue99stroker View Post
my cutom tunes shift firmer/harder than my superchips or edge did. but with way less flare or sloppy shifts.

but after 70k miles (i know i put it off) with my php i dropped the trans pan and changed the filter and fluid and their was ZERO material in the pan.

the original tranny was eaten by the previous owner, who of course, used a edge evolution

everytime i drive by the local tranny shop and see a 7.3 parked out front, they usually have a nice fancy EDGE sticker on the fender.
Well there a big diffrance between firm shift and it slamming into gear. A TC thats unlocked for 4 to 5 seconds before locking back up and slamming into gear will break something faster then my old tride and true edge that shifts way better then my custom chip. This also goes along with the lower EGTs with a custom chip haha ya i seen higher with the custom then my edge ever gave me and my tranny shooting up to 160* within 10min of driving which the edge never did that fast even if i was hammering on her.

Last edited by Im_Strokin_ur_Cummins; 11-16-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.