Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust tip questions

13K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  heykw 
#1 ·
Hey guys just installed a mbrp 4 inch exhaust system on the truck.

So now it's time for a exhaust tip what size length to go with ?

Also does the tip size change sound and if so how does it 1 sound vs another

Thanks guys

Grass Soil Tractor Vehicle

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
well most people say dont go more then 2inches over the pipe size...so no bigger then 6inch tip.....i personally like the size of a 7inch tip......My truck is leveled on 35s and ive got an 7inch tip thats 18inches long...ive pushed it back pretty far, so you can see the pipe at all...and yes it did change the sound...had a 6x12 and it didnt really make a difference, but goin to an 18inch long change the sound quite a bit, i thought...

#3 ·
What kind of a noise change did it make ?

I want it to cover the exhaust pipe as well because of the lift and I'm going to put a black tip on it

#4 ·
here is a 7" tip. 15" long on 5" exhaust. For sure changed the sound of the truck- especially at idle. Deeper tone all around.

#22 ·
What kind of exhaust is that? Who makes it? I just ordered my 5" and i like the angle if your tail pipe. Did you modify it to bring it up closer? Most others I am seeing are hanging a couple inches lower. I love the high and tucked look and the tip is perfect.

#6 ·
I just did the same thing - installed a MBRP 4" exhaust, I installed the 4" downturn tip, it's 12" long and came with a nice clamp on it with a hex bolt. I also had to loosen the clamp on the muffler/t-hanger clamp and rotate my exhaust upward because it was sitting a bit low. I even had to move my spare a little to allow room for the pipe to rotate up. Just a thought so it will be up tight to the lower edge of the bed.
I think the downturn tip sends a bit of sound right at the ground so it dampens the sound a little, and I would imagine the 4" to 6" tips would amplify the sound!
Enjoy!
SCott

#8 ·
When u guys twisted the exhaust pipe up towards the bumper did u have to mod anything with the exhaust hanger back there ?

I'll prob get the 6 inch still not sure how to size it up for length

Thanks
Z.J

#12 ·
Just wanted to add a comment/question about this - I noticed that when I tucked the tailpipe up higher that it was close to the leafspring. Well, it must have been because it was hitting when the suspension flexed a bunch. I didn't want to lower the pipe because it is nicely tucked under, so I ended up chopping off 3/8" of the corner of the leafspring. :eek:hnoes: Shouldn't be a biggie - and now it clears. Wondering if others have had this, a 5" exhaust would have really been hitting it.

Scott

#23 ·
My 7.3 Excursion required me to do the same thing when I installed the 4" silverline stainless kit, my truck is lifted 6" without the lift I think I would have been fine, no cutting required.

#14 ·
Hi guys, I just bought my first F350, 1999. Love her more than any other trucks and cars i have ever owned. But she's very loud at freeway driving speeds. You have to shout to speak to passengers. It wears you out. I noticed a muffler, but also that the tip of the exhaust ends right under the rear cab. Could this be the reason? Please any suggestions would be appreciated.

#15 ·
ya instead of putting a real exhaust system on they just cut it off.

you can diamond eye 4 inch straight pipe from ailligator performance for only liek 230 bucks.

this is what i have and it is quiet in cab with the windows up.

also another thing that makes the truck louder in cab is leaking up-pipes

Reactions: Dr. Josephs
#18 ·
Oh, my my...ok. Thank you for the info. Im going with up pipes, 4" diamond eye turbo back.
Another item that has cought my attention is the cfm+ manifold. Its $400 and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with modifying their manifold. Is it worth the money?
Another small mod is compressor wheel. Cheap to buy buy heard its not easy to install. What do you guys think? ??

#19 ·
The intake manifold isn't worth it, the compressor wheel is however. Look at the Gen 2 Wicked Wheel from Dieselsite, or really any billet compressor wheel. A lot of people sell them. It doesn't seem very hard, just pull the turbo off, take the compressor side of the turbo off, swap wheels and reverse install everything. Just take your time and everything should go smoothly.

While you have the turbo off it's a good time to do the up pipes too.

Reactions: Dr. Josephs
#20 ·
As you recommended, I just received the ww2 compressor wheel in ny hands, just received it in the mail. Im waiting for the up pipes by international, and also the diamond eye. Recently I feel the truck is lacking power. Especially in the beginning of acceleration. The truck is equipped with an exhaust break which is malfunctioning. I will have my mechanic remove it and take it back to stock. I don't need an exhaust break anyways. This guy I was talking to says the lack of power from turbo is related to the defective exhaust break. Something about a valve not opening on time or only partialy opening. I dont know what you think about this. Everything else seems fine.

#21 ·
Another question I have is that im not sure when to replace parts as regular maintenance. No records of prior services at hand. Any sensors that I should plan on replacing?
Part two of my question, does the hpop oil needs replacing separate or does regular engine oil change suffice? Ive checked both oils and they look and feel identical. Dark brown.
Also steering has a slack of about 1.5 inches. I opened up the hood, located the metal rod going from my steering into this gunk and old oil caked up box. I grabbed the column and moved it back and forth, moves the steering in the cab but as expected the tires don't move. Again, the play is about half turn on the metal rod, and 1.5 inches on the steering in the cab.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.