Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

is it worth getting a banks intercool for $1,100

4K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  Justin_502 
#1 ·
i found on sale new for 1,100 bucks shipped compared to 1,400 1,500 everywhere else, should i just jump on that deal or is it not worth getting?

or should i be looking at different intercoolers?

#2 ·
Thats alot of coin...

Do you need it? What are your future plans?

#6 ·
rodger that, ya im deployed right now but ill be , back in the states in july of 2014
if i have any questions ill send you a pm

but ya aim not having any issues with EGTs, my truck runs great, i was just always curious if it was worth it,

im not really planning on doing tons of mods, its pretty power full as it is right now, i just plan on getting a new intake and programmer setup and maybe a garrett 38r and injectors way down the road or if i blow a turbo

but okay cool banks intercooler out of the equation, saved me the trouble and money,

#5 ·
Nope. Not worth it.
If you had the kinds of mods and power to justify an inter cooler upgrade like that, you probably wouldn't have needed to ask the question.

You have EGT issues?

#10 ·
okay ya i never really looked into water meth injection before,

i have a 7.3l and she's a buet!!!

ya looking into and what ive found so far it sounds way better then a intercooler!!

whats a good kit to get and how hard it to hook up? like i can see me getting a 5 gallon tank and bolting it down inside my tool box and bolt up the pump on the side of tool box between it and the passenger rear panel in the bed of the truck to keep it out of the mud

but where does the actual line hook up

#14 ·
AGAIN...

As someone who has been running, testing, live dyno tuning and CP testing with water injection for 10 years... Its not a mod you need to jump into.

I dont even use it anymore except when pulling 12-14k in the mountian passes.

Its not a HP mod, and if looking at it as a HP mod be prepared to break things.

If you want a good strong running truck that will not be a maintance pig...

38R with a billet compressor wheel
160/100 single shots
Tuning to match
A good stout trans...

That will put you right close to 400hp, will DD without issue, will tow without issue and will out work 70% of the rigs out there.

Once your there, and you think you want more, then look at intercoolers, water injection, bla bla bla...

I've pissed away well over $70k on these trucks over the years on MODS alone... Its not worth it.

You have risked your life for us over there, for pennys... Dont piss away those pennys on truck mods. Have fun, but really spend wisely.

air intake/exhaust and maybe some reputable tunes...other than that, leave ur alone
Agreed to some respect.

#11 ·
I don't know exactly what the bullet proof entails for a 7.3 as I am a 6.0 owner. But before you start throwing $1100 parts at your truck that may not be nessassary you want to make it as reliable as possible.
Some of the reason I spoke is because I am in the military also and have been on deployment and came back with a big fat pocket full cash as you hopefully will. Be smart how you spend that money, especially on your 12+ year old truck. Just my $.02

#12 ·
that's why im asking all these questions now, so i dont blow my money on things i dont need, my trucks setup pretty good right now, i dont push her too hard, just when im out wheeling or something, but shes very reliable right now,

i got 8 months left to figure out what i want to do, but i told myself im only spending 3k at most on my truck to hop it up a little, i dont want nothing too crazy i just want it running good and strong,
i have all the things i want to do to interior, body, and suspension already done so all thats left is the motor, its my daily driver so if i find anything that helps mpg and power i want to go for it,

#20 ·
I run Delo 15-40... have for years for the most part.

Wal-Mart $13 a gallon.
Motorcraft filters for $9 bucks too.

#22 ·
His truck is not a 6.0... Synthetic and Rex-x are nothing more then wallet lighteners unless of course you drive a probematic 6.0.

The 7.3 does not have ANY of the issues the 6.0 motor has.

#24 ·
I don't know why people think the 7.3 is so reliable :dunno:
Just the other day I had to change an o-ring in my fuel bowl
And one time I had to change the ICP sensor. :hehe:

#25 ·
i agree with csipsd.

single shots,a 38r,and make your tranny be able to hold the power and you will be happy.

any more power than that and you run into little issues all the time.

#26 ·
i just had the tranny rebuilt, triple clutch convertor, HD rebuilt kit, bigger cooler with an electric fan, and a trans-go shift kit,
it plants down the power real nice

#27 ·
well then you should be good. :thumb:

if you stick with smaller stage 1's you can still use the stock turbo with one of the new billet wicked wheels.
that would be the most bang for your buck. they are anywhere from 180-230$

reman stage 1 single shots can be had for $1300-1500 depending on who you buy your injectors from.
you will net a solid 370-400 hp to the wheels.

this is my route when its time for injectors, but my qaud is getting some mods now :D

if i remember ct performance is in nevada could shoot them a call when you decide what to do.

#31 ·
On the banks intercooler, I installed one in my truck a few months ago. When set it next to the stock all alum. Intercooler the stock one seemed a tad bigger. I put in the banks and the egts did drop some under a full throttle pass 1/4 mile before would get to 1400 now after the banks cooler they get to 1330-1340. I really didn't notice any power gains and haven't towed with it yet.
If it was a 3-400 dollar upgrade I see it being worth it, I do not feel it was worth the price they charge. The money could be better spent elsewhere for bigger gains for less money. If you have one with the plastic end caps I'll make you a good deal on a stock all alum. In great shape with pipes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.