Airbag helper spring recommendations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 09:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Airbag helper spring recommendations

I'm thinking it's time for a set of air bags for my truck, my leafs are getting tired after 170k. I don't tow much, but have a WVO set up and carry about 350 pounds when the tank is full, and I always keep the tank 1/2 to full. I take a few mountain bike trips a year and load up with a rear mount bike rack that can hold 6 bikes and the back is full with camping gear, firewood, and about 500 pounds of WVO. My leaf springs get bottomed out on the bumpers. I added an add-a-leaf a few years ago, but it hasn't helped a ton.

What recommendations does everyone have for brand and model of air bags? I have been trying to research it, but figured I'd ask what people are using. Some mount to the axle, some to the top of the leaf springs/axle U Bolts. Any advantage to one over the other? I've drilled into the frame before and it's not easy. If there is a no drill model out there that bolts right on that would be a plus. I was looking at the Firestone Ride-Rite 2550
Ford F350 1999-2004 Air Bag Helper Springs by Firestone #2550 | SuspensionConnection.com
and the images on various websites show the 2550 differently, so I'm not sure where they actually mount or if they are in fact "No Drill". Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I clicked your link. It clearly says in caps NO DRILLING lol. I too would like to add airbags, and since I already have a tank and compressor mounted I'm already half way there! Hopefully well get some good input from a few members.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am running firestone ride rite on my truck, the 5000lb bags, they were very easy to install, and they set above the axle, not the springs. I too already had a tank and compressor on my truck, so I bought a gauge with dump valve, mounted to the dash and tee'd into my on board air. ( Train Horn tank ) I have a F-250 3/4 ton single cab, which I built for pulling a 38ft toy hauler trailer, the trailer dry weight is 14,500lb, and I haven't had any issues with the bags. The truck sets level with the trailer attached and 85psi in the bags.

Hope this helps,

CBly
Old 10-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
I clicked your link. It clearly says in caps NO DRILLING lol. I too would like to add airbags, and since I already have a tank and compressor mounted I'm already half way there! Hopefully well get some good input from a few members.

I saw that they claim "no drilling", but when I did a Google search for "Firestone Ride Rite 2550" other sites say drilling is required. So, not sure which is accurate. I would like to hear from someone first hand who has this exact kit! There are a bunch of options and I just don't know enough about them to figure out which ones to buy.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbly View Post
I am running firestone ride rite on my truck, the 5000lb bags, they were very easy to install, and they set above the axle, not the springs. I too already had a tank and compressor on my truck, so I bought a gauge with dump valve, mounted to the dash and tee'd into my on board air. ( Train Horn tank ) I have a F-250 3/4 ton single cab, which I built for pulling a 38ft toy hauler trailer, the trailer dry weight is 14,500lb, and I haven't had any issues with the bags. The truck sets level with the trailer attached and 85psi in the bags.

Hope this helps,

CBly
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know the exact model number you have? Did you have to drill into your frame, or did it use existing holes?
Old 10-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioStroker View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know the exact model number you have? Did you have to drill into your frame, or did it use existing holes?
Model 2550, and I don't recall having to do any drilling on the frame, I installed them the same time as my B&W turn over ball, and I did have to drill on the frame to install the turn over ball , but not the air bags, .....

Have had them on for better than 2yrs with no complaints.

Update, I just clicked on the link that the OP listed, the picture that is showing is for a 2003 thru 2004, I had a 2003 6.0 and that was the style mounting bracket that I had to use, If I remember correctly, the springs on the 2003 set out side the frame rails just a bit and therefore the airbag rode directly on top of the spring pack. MY 2002 7.3l the springs set directly underneath the frame, and the airbag sets above the axle on the inside of the springs. So the pic you posted wont be the ones for the earlier mode l trucks. The 2003 kit did involve some modifications to the frame and bracket, due to my fifth wheel hitch plates.

CBly

Last edited by Cbly; 10-26-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Thanks, that's helpful information. I did notice the picture on the link I posted in the original post says something like, "may not be exact image of product," so who knows how the 2550 kit mounts since the image might not even be for that product.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Good info...I'm looking at the ride rite 2535 for my 2013. I guess my only concern would be a bag popping and maybe losing control from the sudden weight shift.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:22 AM

Monday am bump. Any 7.3 guys out there with some advice?
Also found these:
Amazon Amazon

Anyone have experience with the Air Lift brand helper air bags?

Last edited by BioStroker; 10-28-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.