Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

guage limits?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  CSIPSD 
#1 ·
Just put in a ts 6 position chip intake and exhaust and i am wondering what the red line is for my guages

Transmision? What is normal running temp and at what point is it running to hot?

EGT's? What is the hottest it can be befor i do damage?

And Boost? What is normal boost and max befor it wrecks something

and it is on a 2001 7.3

THANKS!

#2 ·
If your EGT probe is pre-turbo then I would start baking off around 1200, though it all depends on the situation. If I am towing on a long grade I'll start backing off closer to 1100, but short bursts of 1300 is okay too.

As far as boost goes, do you have a boost fooler? If not then all your going to see is about 18-20psi, and you won't get the full potential out of you TS. With a boost fooler I can see up to about 28psi. The general consensus is that a stock turbo will not last at 30+ psi, but at that pressure the turbo is so inefficient that you need a bigger turbo.

I *think* that about 250 degrees it getting hot for trans temp, but don't hold me to it. I have a manual so I don't ever remember how hot is to hot for them.

#5 ·
You can run 1250* all day without damage. There is NO REASON to back out before then. Your not saving anything by backing out at 1200-1100 or what ever number.

However you do need to understand heat soak.

If your driving along at 600-700 degrees and someone wants to play, you can hit 1500-1800* for 30-40 seconds without hurting anything...

If you have been towing all day at 1100*, and you hit a pass and throttle down, you have alot lest time above that 1250* number before you could cause damage.

I've towed for tens of thousands of miles at or above 1100*.

Tranny temp should run 60-80* above air temp... Normal will be 130-180. If your seeing temps over 200* I would look at adding extra cooling. If you hit 230* its time to pull over, park and leave the truck running in park so the fluid can cool.

Anything over 25psi is just hot air, the turbo doesnt do much good at that point. Its more about back pressure vs boost pressure when it comes to the factory turbo, side loads on the bushings is what kills them.

If your EGT probe is pre-turbo then I would start baking off around 1200, though it all depends on the situation. If I am towing on a long grade I'll start backing off closer to 1100, but short bursts of 1300 is okay too.

As far as boost goes, do you have a boost fooler? If not then all your going to see is about 18-20psi, and you won't get the full potential out of you TS. With a boost fooler I can see up to about 28psi. The general consensus is that a stock turbo will not last at 30+ psi, but at that pressure the turbo is so inefficient that you need a bigger turbo.

I *think* that about 250 degrees it getting hot for trans temp, but don't hold me to it. I have a manual so I don't ever remember how hot is to hot for them.
Your leaving a TON of performance on the floor by backing out at 1100*...

A better overboost device is this one...

Riffraff Diesel: OCR - Overboost Code Regulator

Keep in mind alot of tuners dont require them anymore. Talk to your tuner.

#7 ·
200* is not something to worry about... NOT at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.