guage limits? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-24-2013, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: clearwater
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
guage limits?

Just put in a ts 6 position chip intake and exhaust and i am wondering what the red line is for my guages

Transmision? What is normal running temp and at what point is it running to hot?

EGT's? What is the hottest it can be befor i do damage?

And Boost? What is normal boost and max befor it wrecks something

and it is on a 2001 7.3


THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-24-2013, 05:19 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Home-Taneytown, Maryland; School- Lima, Ohio
Posts: 3,229
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If your EGT probe is pre-turbo then I would start baking off around 1200, though it all depends on the situation. If I am towing on a long grade I'll start backing off closer to 1100, but short bursts of 1300 is okay too.

As far as boost goes, do you have a boost fooler? If not then all your going to see is about 18-20psi, and you won't get the full potential out of you TS. With a boost fooler I can see up to about 28psi. The general consensus is that a stock turbo will not last at 30+ psi, but at that pressure the turbo is so inefficient that you need a bigger turbo.

I *think* that about 250 degrees it getting hot for trans temp, but don't hold me to it. I have a manual so I don't ever remember how hot is to hot for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: clearwater
Posts: 131
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by late_99_PSD View Post
If your EGT probe is pre-turbo then I would start baking off around 1200, though it all depends on the situation. If I am towing on a long grade I'll start backing off closer to 1100, but short bursts of 1300 is okay too.

As far as boost goes, do you have a boost fooler? If not then all your going to see is about 18-20psi, and you won't get the full potential out of you TS. With a boost fooler I can see up to about 28psi. The general consensus is that a stock turbo will not last at 30+ psi, but at that pressure the turbo is so inefficient that you need a bigger turbo.

I *think* that about 250 degrees it getting hot for trans temp, but don't hold me to it. I have a manual so I don't ever remember how hot is to hot for them.

Ive never heard of a boost fooler what is it and how much dose that run
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Home-Taneytown, Maryland; School- Lima, Ohio
Posts: 3,229
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Driven Diesel Overboost Annihilator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bend, Or
Posts: 6,162
Thanks: 31
Thanked 48 Times in 46 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUALLY350 View Post
Just put in a ts 6 position chip intake and exhaust and i am wondering what the red line is for my guages

Transmision? What is normal running temp and at what point is it running to hot?

EGT's? What is the hottest it can be befor i do damage?

And Boost? What is normal boost and max befor it wrecks something

and it is on a 2001 7.3


THANKS!
You can run 1250* all day without damage. There is NO REASON to back out before then. Your not saving anything by backing out at 1200-1100 or what ever number.

However you do need to understand heat soak.

If your driving along at 600-700 degrees and someone wants to play, you can hit 1500-1800* for 30-40 seconds without hurting anything...

If you have been towing all day at 1100*, and you hit a pass and throttle down, you have alot lest time above that 1250* number before you could cause damage.

I've towed for tens of thousands of miles at or above 1100*.

Tranny temp should run 60-80* above air temp... Normal will be 130-180. If your seeing temps over 200* I would look at adding extra cooling. If you hit 230* its time to pull over, park and leave the truck running in park so the fluid can cool.

Anything over 25psi is just hot air, the turbo doesnt do much good at that point. Its more about back pressure vs boost pressure when it comes to the factory turbo, side loads on the bushings is what kills them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by late_99_PSD View Post
If your EGT probe is pre-turbo then I would start baking off around 1200, though it all depends on the situation. If I am towing on a long grade I'll start backing off closer to 1100, but short bursts of 1300 is okay too.

As far as boost goes, do you have a boost fooler? If not then all your going to see is about 18-20psi, and you won't get the full potential out of you TS. With a boost fooler I can see up to about 28psi. The general consensus is that a stock turbo will not last at 30+ psi, but at that pressure the turbo is so inefficient that you need a bigger turbo.

I *think* that about 250 degrees it getting hot for trans temp, but don't hold me to it. I have a manual so I don't ever remember how hot is to hot for them.
Your leaving a TON of performance on the floor by backing out at 1100*...

A better overboost device is this one...

Riffraff Diesel: OCR - Overboost Code Regulator

Keep in mind alot of tuners dont require them anymore. Talk to your tuner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-24-2013, 06:47 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Trans temp is very important to watch. Anything over 200* you may want to pull over and let her kool down....

I only see 25 lbs of boost at WOT , however im running a stock truck lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bend, Or
Posts: 6,162
Thanks: 31
Thanked 48 Times in 46 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
Trans temp is very important to watch. Anything over 200* you may want to pull over and let her kool down....

I only see 25 lbs of boost at WOT , however im running a stock truck lol
200* is not something to worry about... NOT at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-24-2013, 07:18 PM
7.3 4 Ever! Nothing else!
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
200* is not something to worry about... NOT at all.
well I had to tow 13k 3 hrs 1 way, coming through Boston in stop and go traffic, my trans temp gauge buried itself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bend, Or
Posts: 6,162
Thanks: 31
Thanked 48 Times in 46 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000-7.3L View Post
well I had to tow 13k 3 hrs 1 way, coming through Boston in stop and go traffic, my trans temp gauge buried itself!
Not sure what that has to do with 200*???

200* is nothing to get excited about. People are over cooling there tran's so much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors