Performance Upgrade Opinions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Performance Upgrade Opinions

I have a 2003 F350 7.3L 4x4 with 122,000 miles on it. I am looking to do some upgrades to increase performance and MPG as well but I don't have thousands of dollars as well. I am hoping to order a Tymar Intake System hopefully in the next few weeks to start. I have also been advised on getting a TS 6 position switchable Chip but don't know anything about them or chips in general. I understand that it is a switch on the fly type so would I need a monitor or something to change the settings or how does that work.

What do some of the folks on this forum recommend. If possible when replying please give full company names and if possible model numbers as well. I am hoping to do everything myself but I have never done any mods in my life.

I want to do upgrades but I also don't want my truck to sound like a freight train and I don't want it to smoke like a coal train either (no offense to any coal miners). I also do not want smoke stacks in the bed as I haul things often with my bed.

Any suggestions or advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM

the 6 position chip is great in these 7.3's,you'll love it, and you'll be amazed at the power gains and versatility. And as far as a monitor, it's not a must, but it's a real good idea, I would get a scan gauge 2[ Advanced Auto Parts ]...have fun!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Banned

First off get a set of quality gauges...

Isspro Ev2 would be my first recomendation. Pyro (EGT- Exhaust Gas Temp), Boost, and trans temp.

Then you can look at performance mods, without gauges leave it alone.

A good fun 290-310hp truck is...

Intake of your choice
Exhaust of your choice
Gauges of your choice
TS or Hydra chip with QUALITY tuning on it. I would recommend No Limit, Gearhead, Power Hungry Performance, Tony Wildman or like.
A good Valve body for the 4r100 trans, be it a BTS or John Woods.

That will net you a 300hp truck that will be more or less stout.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonF-250 View Post
the 6 position chip is great in these 7.3's,you'll love it, and you'll be amazed at the power gains and versatility. And as far as a monitor, it's not a must, but it's a real good idea, I would get a scan gauge 2[ Advanced Auto Parts ]...have fun!
Gauges are a must... You simply do not know what is going on under the hood without at least an EGT gauge. To add a tuner on a truck without an EGT gauge is just asking for trouble.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If its an auto I won't run a chip on a stock converter either. Manual you're going to want a clutch and single mass flywheel.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:24 PM
Banned

Your ok assuming the trans is in good shape.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
First off get a set of quality gauges...

Isspro Ev2 would be my first recomendation. Pyro (EGT- Exhaust Gas Temp), Boost, and trans temp.

Then you can look at performance mods, without gauges leave it alone.

A good fun 290-310hp truck is...

Intake of your choice
Exhaust of your choice
Gauges of your choice
TS or Hydra chip with QUALITY tuning on it. I would recommend No Limit, Gearhead, Power Hungry Performance, Tony Wildman or like.
A good Valve body for the 4r100 trans, be it a BTS or John Woods.

That will net you a 300hp truck that will be more or less stout.
On the gauges, will they replace the OE gauges that I have in the truck now. I am assuming you are referring to 6 different gauges am I correct. My truck is an automatic and the transmission is in great shape.

Is it ok to get the intake now before the gauges. After the intake get the gauges and then the chips.

I have never done any mods and am trying to learn as much as possible on what to get and what not to get. Any more advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-17-2013, 04:08 AM
Serving Our Country!

Ya its fine to get an intake first just make sure you get gauges before the chip and i would recommend Php for the chip .... i have their 6 pos pheonix chip and i love it to death
Old 10-17-2013, 05:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was in the same boat you are in, stock truck and looking for cheap effective mods. Ended up with the following;
Diamond eye 4 inch turbo back exhaust (230 straight pipe or ~260 with muffler)
6637 intake (filter for ~50 or kit for 90 from riffraff)
Gauges (went with glowshift for 200 which most won't recommend, but I haven't had any issues YET) most recommend isspro or autometer which are ~400.
Php Phoenix chip for 300. Best value ts 6 position chip with tunes from reputable tuner. Others will run upwards of 400. Or go with hydra for 425.
So for under a grand you will have a totally different truck. Mine is night and day difference from stock with just the basic mods. Next will be better transmission cooler (probably tru cool from dieselsite.com) and a different valve body. (Transgo tugger kit??)
Old 10-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrybizzle View Post
I was in the same boat you are in, stock truck and looking for cheap effective mods. Ended up with the following;
Diamond eye 4 inch turbo back exhaust (230 straight pipe or ~260 with muffler)
6637 intake (filter for ~50 or kit for 90 from riffraff)
Gauges (went with glowshift for 200 which most won't recommend, but I haven't had any issues YET) most recommend isspro or autometer which are ~400.
Php Phoenix chip for 300. Best value ts 6 position chip with tunes from reputable tuner. Others will run upwards of 400. Or go with hydra for 425.
So for under a grand you will have a totally different truck. Mine is night and day difference from stock with just the basic mods. Next will be better transmission cooler (probably tru cool from dieselsite.com) and a different valve body. (Transgo tugger kit??)
So the new PHP Hydra is a good chip. Are the Autometers just as good as Isspro. Finally do the new gauges replace my OE gauges or would I have both sets of gauges. I would think things would get cluttered if I had to have both OE and new gauges. I believe there were 6 gauges someone recommended, is that correct.

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.