Irate r/r fass pump prime problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Irate r/r fass pump prime problems

Ok I recently went overboard with upgrades, motor is back together with 238/100s and I installed the irate regulated return with the fuel lab regulator. Prior to upgrades I had a fass 125 gph "titanium" pre/post pump with filter and seperator.

The truck is an early 99 and I'm not sure if that mattered but I was told the kit mounts the regulator quite nicely (it doesnt come close to anything in my application to bolt to). I've got the passenger side head going into one side of the regulator, driver side in the other, and my 3/8 ID line coming off the bottom which I tied into the existing factory hard line under driver door on the frame rail. My supply is coming from the pump, brand new line 1/2 ID.
I had no clue where to start with the adjustment on top of the regulator so I put it in to where half the threads are showing..unsure what the brass fitting with Allen head on the side does, vacuum? It's just plugged now.
Problem: when I attempt to prime it up and cycle the pump a bunch to adjust the return pressure I can't get a damn thing. The pump does work. If I crack a line on either side of the regulator (either input from cylinder head) the pump starts to do its job and fuel sprays out everywhere. I cannot get anything to come out the return side of the regulator whether the adjustment on top is all the way in, or totally removed . Im sure there is a stupid mistake somewhere and if you need pictures please say and I will supply. Over 40 hours in upgrades and now can't hear it run really is upsetting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm pretty sure the truck will need to be running in order to adjust the reg. Where is your gauge installed?
Old 10-16-2013, 04:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The gauge is installed on the regulator at the moment
Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 AM

I just went through this on my 01. As long as you have no air leaks on the suction side you will be able to see pressure on the gauge with the pump on engine off. I forgot to tighten my pickup tube which sucked a bunch of air in and i couldnt get anything on the gauge.

I would check you suction side for leaks.

The port on the right side of the regulator is a boost reference port and is not used. You should route a line from that port to the bottom of the motor incase the diaphragm ever fails in the regulator.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 AM

On my Irate kit I just cracked a line till it was running and had someone underhood adjust my pressure since I have an in cab gauge instead of the one that is provided in the kit. It should be constantly returning if not something is not right. I have my boost port plugged as well.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:56 PM

On my RR once I primed my pump and filters everything worked great, I installed a T fitting so I have an fuel pressure gauge inside the cab as well as the provided one for adjustment.

I'd just put the top adjustment screw hand snug until you get a steady pressure, I tightened mine most of the way down like you did and it just about pegged the 100psi gauge before I could turn it down once i got fuel.

I'd also check to make sure your pump is primed right, any air lock and the pump can't do it's job. (Unscrew both filters and individually fill them did it for me)

Last edited by the1laf; 10-18-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Brain Wave..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.