Stage 2 swamps injectors. Now what? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stage 2 swamps injectors. Now what?

The stock injectors on my 99.5 took a crap about a week ago. I bought a set of swamps stage 2 160/100 injectors and am thinking on ordering a boost fooler and BD Wastegate actuator. Anything else/better to do while I have it semi-taken apart? I was thinking on ordering an ATS compressor housing in a few months and a set of gauges shortly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Gauges should be put in before your new injectors. New injectors without a bigger turbo will = a lot higher EGT's. You need to monitor that at the least. I would also recommend a tranny temp gauge and Boost Gauge.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok. I'll go ahead and get a set of gauges.
With that size injectors, would a larger turbo be better than upgrading the stock?

Old 10-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregarner View Post
Ok. I'll go ahead and get a set of gauges.
With that size injectors, would a larger turbo be better than upgrading the stock?

You should definitely upgrade the turbo with those injectors in order to experience their full potential. 38r or SD66 would be a good choice if you want to stay with the factory mount.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:30 PM

38r is a must. the stock turbo is almost at its limits with stock injectors honestly.
if you cant afford a new turbo yet, get the injectors slightly detuned and look into a ww2 or a similar billet wheel.

also if your fuel system is stock, atleast get the fuel rail crossover from riffraff.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What is the difference in the stock turbo and the 38r? Does anyone have any experience with the ATS compressor housing? I've done some research on aftermarket wheels and from what I've seen, the stock wheel is just as good as the aftermarket ones. So I'll probably stay away from upgrading the compressor wheel.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregarner View Post
What is the difference in the stock turbo and the 38r? Does anyone have any experience with the ATS compressor housing? I've done some research on aftermarket wheels and from what I've seen, the stock wheel is just as good as the aftermarket ones. So I'll probably stay away from upgrading the compressor wheel.

The 38r is a ball bearing turbo whereas the 38 is a journal bearing turbo. The 38r is not rebuildable but the stock one is. The 38r will spool much faster and should be good to 450 to 500hp. Also, some say that the 38r can be noisy to the point of being annoying after a while. I have yet to hear one so I can't really comment on that. I heard that there is a billet wheel that supposedly quiets these turbos down some. The other turbo to look at is an SD66 which is a hybrid of the stock, 38r and van turbo I think. It retains the rebuildability of the stocker and can support even more hp than the 38r due to the larger exhaust housing (I think). This is the turbo I will probably go with (or some variation of it). Hope this helps.

JC
Old 10-09-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
The 38r is a ball bearing turbo whereas the 38 is a journal bearing turbo. The 38r is not rebuildable but the stock one is. The 38r will spool much faster and should be good to 450 to 500hp. Also, some say that the 38r can be noisy to the point of being annoying after a while. I have yet to hear one so I can't really comment on that. I heard that there is a billet wheel that supposedly quiets these turbos down some. The other turbo to look at is an SD66 which is a hybrid of the stock, 38r and van turbo I think. It retains the rebuildability of the stocker and can support even more hp than the 38r due to the larger exhaust housing (I think). This is the turbo I will probably go with (or some variation of it). Hope this helps.

JC
Some of that is correct
The more relevant difference in the 38R is that the compressor wheel is larger allowing more air flow.
You can put a larger exhaust housing on any of the turbos in question to keep drive pressures down.

OP, do you have tuning lined up to run the single shot injectors already? And yes gauges is #1 priority
Old 10-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Some of that is correct
The more relevant difference in the 38R is that the compressor wheel is larger allowing more air flow.
You can put a larger exhaust housing on any of the turbos in question to keep drive pressures down.

OP, do you have tuning lined up to run the single shot injectors already? And yes gauges is #1 priority
That's right. 38r is 66mm on compressor side. That is why I like the idea if the sd66 because it has the 66mm compressor wheel, journal bearings and larger exhaust housing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 PM

the stock turbo wont last last long with stage 2's.
its not if but when it blows up.

and the billet wheels are a huge improvement over the stock compressor wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.