looking at ordering a phoenix from PHP and have some questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking at ordering a phoenix from PHP and have some questions

I know you have to clean the computer connection and clean silicone off of it. after I do this will it cause any issues later if I remove the Chip?

Next what settings should I go with? the truck is a 2000 f250 crewcab shortbed 2 wheels drive automatic . I plan on leaving the truck pretty much stock. I might add a better air intake and possibly delete the stock muffler maybe. The truck is a low mileage truck with only 96k miles.
I would like to pick up some performance and I don't like how the transmission seems to shift too early. A few more MPGs would be nice also. the only towing I do with the truck is my race truck on an open 18 ft car hauler. The race truck weighs about 2900lbs not sure about the trailor.
These are the settings Im thinking about going with
1) Stock (I guess I need the stock setting Not sure what do you guys think?)
2) whisper (Im between whisper and High Idle)
3) 25hp tow
4) 65hp tow
5) 80hp daily
6) 120hp race

Last edited by 05powerstroker; 10-02-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I wouldn't worry about a stock tune. I'd also ditch the 25hp tow since your load is light. I hear the whisper tune is pretty useless, but I'm guessing you don't need the high idle in Houston...

I'd also get the 100 performance in there, the race tune is sort of on/off and not fun to drive very often.

Been thinking of getting a PHP chip to try their tunes. I have a different tuner but have: High idle, Economy (rarely use), Daily Driver, Sport, Tow, and Extreme

I use daily driver almost 100% of the time, and high idle on cold mornings (below freezing).
Old 10-02-2013, 11:36 PM

I usually run my truck in 120hp race mode. I don't notice any drivability issues at all. Startles people how fast an 8k pound truck can move.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 AM

If you can swing the extra cash, I'd upgrade too the Hydra chip. But some other things you should also get are some gauges, and since you are towing change your transmission cooler with the 6.0L one, then get a good air intake system (NOT K&N) ditch the stock exhaust and get a 4" system, that will help get the air in and out. With the Hydra chip you plug in your laptop and pick the tunes you want, but if you can't I'd drop the whisper and the 25hp tow tune and replace them with 100hp performance, and maybe the 140hp extreme.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:58 AM

The 65 tow tune should be the only tow tune you need. I like the 120 race tune as well. Only downside is it doesn't shift to od till about 48. I just had mine reburnt to stock, 40 tow, 65 tow, 80 daily drive, 120 race and whisper. I haven't been able to try the whisper tune yet. In process of resealing my fuel bowl and snapped my FPR cap. Have to get a new one today.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttyR2 View Post
I usually run my truck in 120hp race mode. I don't notice any drivability issues at all. Startles people how fast an 8k pound truck can move.
The PHP race tune doesn't have a touchy pedal? My Wildman tune is crazy, seems to be WOT within 1/4-1/2 inch.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
The PHP race tune doesn't have a touchy pedal? My Wildman tune is crazy, seems to be WOT within 1/4-1/2 inch.
This is part of the reason people really like PHP. Feels like a stock truck until you really get into it.

Dont get me wrong, it has great throttle response but its not a touchy feel.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
No, its not touchy at all. It feels like stock pedal but with alot more power
Old 10-03-2013, 08:57 PM

Yep...feels stock till you get into it hard. They did an excellent job with the tunes. Nicely refined.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:40 AM

How hard is the 140hp extreme tune on the transmission, motor and turbo? I think for me the 120 would be plenty. I hate adding the gauges because I like to keep the inside of the truck looking stock. I thought about getting the edge tuner that had the gauges on it. I hate the way gauges look on the pillar.

As far as towing I used a gas 1/2 ton truck to tow what I tow for years now. Its flat here also no hills. I could buy the hydra but I just really don't plan of doing much with this diesel truck. I was going to just buy a hand held tuner but I heard their transmission tuning sucks. That's the main reason I am now looking at the PHP chips. I don't want to have issue with the transmission and don't want to be working on the truck all the time. LOL when this truck goes to the race track its because its towing my race car. I just want it to be a little more fun to drive. right now it won't get out of its own way.

Last edited by 05powerstroker; 10-04-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.