New to a SD, boost and tune questions... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 01:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to a SD, boost and tune questions...

Getting an 01 from a friend and selling my 97. I'm swapping on my TS chip, Wildman tunes, and Wicked Wheel 2.

My buddy has a DP Tuner on it with an adjustable regulator as a boost fooler. Couple questions:

What PSI should I set the boost fooler to?

Is there any needed mods or adjustments to the wastegate? My OBS doesn;t have one...

And lastly, what boost PSI should I limit the truck to so I don't frag the turbo?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
Getting an 01 from a friend and selling my 97. I'm swapping on my TS chip, Wildman tunes, and Wicked Wheel 2.

My buddy has a DP Tuner on it with an adjustable regulator as a boost fooler. Couple questions:

What PSI should I set the boost fooler to?

Is there any needed mods or adjustments to the wastegate? My OBS doesn;t have one...

And lastly, what boost PSI should I limit the truck to so I don't frag the turbo?

Thanks!
Congrats on the new truck! Now lets see some pics!!!!!

First, i am not sure your TS chip will work correctly with your PCM, you may have to send it in to get reburned, this would also benefit you because the 01 will have slightly bigger injectors, bigger HPOP, bigger inter cooler and the turbo a bit different. Getting tunes for the upgraded parts compared the 97 will help quite a bit. At this point you could go with any of the tuners (except DP), i like my PHP tunes. Have not tried any others.

Second, i would be a bit Leary of the boost fooler he has on there if it really is just a adjustable regulator. Read the link i posted. PHP tunes also do not require you to have a boost fooler, the SES light will still trip over 25 LBS but the motor will not de-fuel.

http://www.dieselsite.com/boostreliefvalve.aspx

There is a Turbo Master Wastegate that people like. My truck came with a Bank Big head wastegate and it is hardly better than stock if at all. The wastegate weather it be stock or aftermarket can be adjustable by turning the actuator arm, tightening it, this will keep the wastegate closed a bit longer helping create more boost.

Most sites say do not go over 32 PSI with a stock turbo for long periods of time, with the new billet wheels they have available i would run my turbo at 32 PSI all day long, the drive pressure to back pressure are pretty darn equal with the new wheels. When the 2 are different is when you start creating excessive wear and tear on the internal parts.

Good luck with the truck! I love mine and dont ever see myself getting rid of it. Upgrading these things is very addicting!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the info. The intercooler, 17* HPOP, and electric fuel are the main reasons I upgraded from an OBS. I have the spider and pipes and was adding up money for that and electric fuel. Said "eff that", and bought my buddies truck. Haha! That and the SD has better side mirrors, and a grab handle for the wife.

He said he has the regulator set 1 psi below what it would trip the SES light on (he doesn't remember the exact number though). It does the same thing as the PHP link you posted. I'll probably get the RIffRaff one to clean up the engine bay though.

I have free reburns with my TS chip so it's going back as soon as I get the truck (PCM code).

Good to know about the 32 PSI, I hear the billet wheels are getting close to if not over that. What PSI does the stock wastegate open at? My buddies Excursion has a DP Tuner that seems to open the wastegate at different pressures on each tune. I'm not sure what Tony Wildman does on his tunes, I guess I'll find out...

Last edited by Gaius; 10-02-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:47 PM

the stock waste gate opens at about 7 psi of boost.
and no your buddies waste gate doesn't open at different times on different tunes. it is a fixed mechanical piece that can only be adjusted by turning it, which would be difficult while driving.

i get around 31-33 psi of boost with my billet wheel.

i recently put a boost fooler on because i was tired of seeing the ses light. but it is not required with my php chip.

and your chip from your 97 will not work with your 01. the obs have single shot injectors and we have split shots. so send it in for a reburn.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:04 PM

That's weird then. If it's mechanical then how would the PCM know what the Wastegate Control Duty cycle is? We were playing with his CTS and the wastegate would fully open at 15psi on the economy tune. But wouldn't open until 20+ on a hotter tune. At least that's what the Edge was telling us.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:18 PM

I found it, doing some reading, it seems the PCM monitors the MAP signal and Wastegate control solenoid, not control it. Thanks for the clarification guys.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:47 PM

Can I just disconnect the wastegate, and if I do will it stay closed? The OBS doesn;t have one, why is it needed on the SD turbo? Is it because of the higher boost produced by the stock Superduty turbo?

Doing some more reading, it seems the wastegate opens when the solenoid sees around 5 psi of control pressure, usually around 20 psi. Still don;t know why my buddy's opens sooner on his economy DP tune...

Got this from the Diesel Stop:

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
The red line to the actuator is an assist in opening. It works agains the spring in the actuator. The PCM command either connects the actuator to the boost tap to the intake (atmospheric pressure). In the latter position, only the spring in the actuator has any affect on the wastgate, making it harder for the exhaust pressure to push it open when exhaust pressure (not boost) builds. When boost pressure is connected to the actuator, increased boost opens the wastegate, thus bypassing exhaust (drive) pressure around the turbine wheel and reducing the speed of the turbo and capacity to build boost on the compressor side.

There's a program in the PCM that decides under what conditions the boost port is connected to the actuator. I'm guessing, but it probably looks at Accelerator Pedal Position, Boost (MAP), and a few other things.

Last edited by Gaius; 10-03-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:58 PM

So I got the truck today. Runs real hard, however it rolls some pretty serious black smoke on 120hp race (DP Tuner). Haven't tried the 140 Aggresive (old DP tune).

I was planning on putting in my TS chip with reburned Wildman tunes. I'm also going to be installing the WW2 out of the OBS. Can I expect less smoke with the Wildman tunes? I want a 100+ hp tune that's clean if possible. If not, I may keep the DP tuner in it. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2013, 11:16 AM

dp tunes produce more smoke than any other custom tuner. my friend has a dp tuner on his truck and it smokes like a freight train.

hell i dont get any smoke at WOT on 140hp with my php phoenix.
it runs clean and pulls hard.

so yes, you should get less smoke with your TW tunes.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:31 PM

Excellent. That's good to hear about the TW tunes. I didn't expect the 120 Race to smoke that bad at 26 psi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.