New truck from dealer, unknown chip - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New truck from dealer, unknown chip

I just picked up a 2002 F250 CrewCab 7.3, this is my first diesel btw. I just noticed that it has a chip on the ECU. I have counted 12 positions (clicks) until it stops turning. I thought these only came in 6 position...Truck seems to have oem exhaust & filter on it. I need one of you seasoned guys to hopefully identify who's chip it is so I can send it back & at minimum identify what is programmed on the chip. I have tried different positions & one of them is definately high idle & one pulls like a sports car, & one has to be the smoke tune. I do know I'm not riding around on the "hot" race tune because it doesn't pull 1/2 as hard as one of the other settings. I just bought it today & don't wanna possibly damage the engine or transmission by running the wrong tune & having high egt's etc. This truck does not have any guages "yet" either.*

My short list of soon to come mods are Riffraff 6637 filter kit, Diamond Eye 4" turbo back exhaust (no muffler), & some sort of guages. I need opinions on getting mechanical guages or getting a used Edge CTS with new egt probe for $300 from a buddy. Not looking for max power, I am more concerned with fuel economy since I only tow a 5,000 lb boat & 3,000lb enclosed trailer with my dragbikes.

If I need to open ecm case & take pics, I can do that also.

Thanks in advance guys

New truck from dealer, unknown chip-1379976169692.jpg

New truck from dealer, unknown chip-1379976181679.jpg

New truck from dealer, unknown chip-1379976198443.jpg

New truck from dealer, unknown chip-1379976207725.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Looks like a standard TS 6 pos chip. More then likely who ever installed the switch did not understand how to set the detent on the switch. Just because it clicks 12 times does not mean it has that many settings.

Keys out and in your pocket.

Pull that chip and take a picture. It should say TS on it, or maybe ATS or PHP...

Just pull it and snap a picture, but remember, keys in your pocket.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIPSD View Post
Looks like a standard TS 6 pos chip. More then likely who ever installed the switch did not understand how to set the detent on the switch. Just because it clicks 12 times does not mean it has that many settings.

Pull that chip and take a picture. It should say TS on it, or maybe ATS or PHP...

Thanks for the reply. ..

I will snap a few pics as soon as I get home. First I have to watch a couple install videos to make sure I dont screw up anything. Are these chips able to be read or just rewritten? Do they have any kind of serial # that the tuners keep track of what was programmed on the chip? The truck is actually getting damn good hwy milage so far & I'd hate to lose what ever file Im running right now lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-23-2013, 04:50 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:

Can you explain the "keep the keys in the pocket"? I don't wanna screw anything up either so please explain!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-23-2013, 05:05 PM

There is no issue pulling a chip off the J3 port of the PCM so long as there is no power going to the PCM. Some people think simply turning off the ignition is enough, however any time the key is in the ignition, the PCM has some power going to it, which is just enough to really screw up your night.

Keys in the pocket or on the floor board next to you makes sure this does not happen.

Otherwise, grab it and pull it out.

As to markings, no... No one does anything like that.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
There is no issue pulling a chip off the J3 port of the PCM so long as there is no power going to the PCM. Some people think simply turning off the ignition is enough, however any time the key is in the ignition, the PCM has some power going to it, which is just enough to really screw up your night.

Keys in the pocket or on the floor board next to you makes sure this does not happen.

Otherwise, grab it and pull it out.

As to markings, no... No one does anything like that.
Thanks for explaining that I had no idea! I normally pull the keys out anyways because the key dinger annoys the crap out of me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-23-2013, 05:25 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yep I got you on this one bud there are 12 positions there is a retaining clip that goes on the 6th position that would stop the switch. I did a write up on this a year or so ago when I had a 7.3 l I can explain what ever you need. You are in luck u can take the chip out and have any of the tuners put new tubes on it that's the best way to go
Old 09-23-2013, 05:27 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If it where my truck I would unhook the battery's before messing with the PCM just good habit
Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
If it where my truck I would unhook the battery's before messing with the PCM just good habit
110% completely unnessasary.

I have done countless chip installs over the years. NOT one have I ever unhooked the power the the PCM.

Keys in your pocket, and your fine.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Guys...I'll snap pics first thing in the morning, it started pouring down rain & the truck is too tall to fit under the carport.
The wife hates it, but that is great because now I never have to worry about her driving it & pumping in a tank full of 87 octane

Now to the next issue...The air is only blowing thru the defroster.. Any ideas on this one guys? My truck is 2 wheel drive as I've been reading about possible vacuum leaks on 4x4's.

It as working fine all day on a 100 mile trip from the dealer & all day while I was driving it around town before handing over the $$$ for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.