Tubo Upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tubo Upgrade

Well I am in the market to purchase a 38r, just was curious from others who did this before injectors on how much performance I can expect to see from just the turbo alone, with custom tunes, until I can get new sticks or a trans which ever comes first. would it be more advantagous to get the injectors first? Looking at stage one single shots, and an ats trans. Not looking to make rediculous power, nothing north of 400hp for now, just looking to make the truck more fun to drive and able to get out of its own way.

Also is there anything else I should purchase along with the turbo, like a new waste gate or things along those lines? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Personally, unless your turbo needs replacing I wouldn't do anything just yet.
The gain will be better if you do injectors
Maybe someone else has more insight on this
Old 09-07-2013, 04:11 PM

if your only getting stage 1 single shots, just get a ww2 for your existing turbo. oh and the turbo alone wont give you much power with stock sticks.
you might be able to use the stock trans for a long time at that power level. just need a better cooler, torque converter, valve body. depends on the tuner too i guess.
how much is an ats trans?
john wood and bts seem like the go to guys for transmissions, im sure the prices are close between all three.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:40 PM

Yea, I've looked into the ww2, but I am on the fence between stage one and two injectors so I figure if I'm going to spend the money eventually might as well spend it now. I say stage one injectors now but I get the feeling when the time comes I'll splurge on the stage twos. And I haven't done a lot of research on te trans prices yet but I think they run around 4500 for a full stage 2 trans kit with torque converter. Which is rather steep so that would be on the bottom of the list for sure prob start with just the torque converter.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:18 PM

ya im in the same boat. i keep telling myself im getting stage ones, but i want more powa!

if you think you might get stage twos id get a 38r.

id get a bts trans, if i remember correctly they carry a liftetime warranty. and hes pretty much the best in the biz. lot of members are running bts trans and they love them and wouldnt go anywhere else.
ct performance can let you know more if your interested.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:35 AM

You're living on the edge if you put stage 2's in your PMR truck.

Is your turbo worn out? I'm not sure why you want to spend $1300 for minimal gains now since you won't see much improvement until you do injectors anyways.

For about the same money, I would get a set of stage 1's and a billet wheel for your 2003

Blue99, you have forged rods so may as well go big or go home
Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 AM

So you figure the stage ones and a wheel would be a better option or the first upgrade before the turbo? And I don't mean to sound like an idiot but at XDP the swamps stage ones run for 1875 but they have a 1000 dollar core charge, so this is saying I pay the 1875 up front and send them my old injectors and get 1000 back? Or how does that work? My apologies I'm obviously new with this stuff.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 PM

This is what I would do, order some 160cc/30% injectors from P.I.S. and get free tuning from NLTD. Thuglike over at PSN posted this in another thread. Then I would start saving for a 38r or something similar in a T4 mount. Seeing as you have PMR's this is were I would call it quits and just enjoy a more fun to drive/reliable truck. My 2 cents

JC
Old 09-08-2013, 04:24 PM

Well now here is the kicker. My buddy just texted me saying his buddy with an obs truck with what he thinks are 180/something injectors is looking to sell them. Now will these fit my truck and am I just asking for trouble with these or with the right tuning and not driving the truck like I stole it, will these work??? Or am I getting way to far ahead of myself am looking to throw a rod while driving down the street and tame that voice in my head tellin me to do it.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja_cain View Post
This is what I would do, order some 160cc/30% injectors from P.I.S. and get free tuning from NLTD. Thuglike over at PSN posted this in another thread. Then I would start saving for a 38r or something similar in a T4 mount. Seeing as you have PMR's this is were I would call it quits and just enjoy a more fun to drive/reliable truck. My 2 cents

JC
NLTD and P.I.S will honor this promotion!!!!!!! You can order from either company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.