Best 7.3 Programmer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best 7.3 Programmer

Hey all! I have a 2002 PSD with an auto 4r100 trans. Mods are currently k&N intake with 4" down pipe with wicked wheel and 5 inch straight pipe to dual 6" stacks. My question is what is the BEST "off the shelf" plug and play programmer for my truck? I understand live tunes and tuners like pho are best but I like the plug and play more because if anything happens you just plug it in and reload the stock tune. Thank you for your replies and sorry this is so long!! P.S I have heard the Diablosport Predator U7170 is MEAN to be a programmer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
I would never recommend a tuner over a chip for a 7.3L.. esp a off the shelf tuner... but if you really had to have an off the shelf tuner i would go with the edge evolution... but if your only priority is having a tuner then i would go with a custom tuned SCT with innovative tunes...

now if you are open to having something even better then go with a custom tuned chip like Tony Wildman Performance Chips...

we can set you up with pretty much anything you want... Also dont forget your gauges... never run a tuner/chip without them

-Raul
Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Remove K&N. But anyway.

With a chip, you can flip a knob, and go right back to stock tune about 10 minutes faster than just "plugging in." And in the same amount of time, you can remove the chip if you really had to and there is stock again.
Programming over writes the PCM. A chip just blocks the signal and inputs it's own, until you remove it.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
I would never recommend a tuner over a chip for a 7.3L.. esp a off the shelf tuner... but if you really had to have an off the shelf tuner i would go with the edge evolution... but if your only priority is having a tuner then i would go with a custom tuned SCT with innovative tunes...

now if you are open to having something even better then go with a custom tuned chip like Tony Wildman Performance Chips...

we can set you up with pretty much anything you want... Also dont forget your gauges... never run a tuner/chip without them

-Raul
I understand exactly what you mean. And I have guages (luckily) I just have had terrible trouble with custom tunes. We tried to live tune it and it was too light in the rear so it would literally spin off the dyno wheels (no clue how either). So I just want yo go with plug and play and have the best one you plug through the OBD2 port. Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Who "live tuned" it? You don't need live tunes. The chip was not the problem either. It was the tuner and dyno operator I think.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Remove K&N. But anyway.

With a chip, you can flip a knob, and go right back to stock tune about 10 minutes faster than just "plugging in." And in the same amount of time, you can remove the chip if you really had to and there is stock again.
Programming over writes the PCM. A chip just blocks the signal and inputs it's own, until you remove it.
Thanks for your reply! If you read my post to Raul just now you'll know exactly why I wanted the BEST OBD2 port programmer. Chips and live tunes have caused me a PITA lol
Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Who "live tuned" it? You don't need live tunes. The chip was not the problem either. It was the tuner and dyno operator I think.
I cannot remember exactly at the moment... I think Beans... this WAS my dad's truck when they tried to do that and he was going to have it done for me (worked my butt off for the truck lol) and when we tried to get a proper explanation they were quite rude so we just packed up and left
Old 09-02-2013, 09:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
This.

I've seen 900rwhp/1000+tq on dyno's without so much as a hiccup. You will be much better off with a chip from a good place, TW and PHP come to mind. There are other options of course, but a chip is better. I'm only putting out 310/647 on my 65DD tune, but my truck didn't so much as settle once the great guys at PHP tied it down.

Live tuning is a wasted effort until you start doing serious modifications. What you have is a stock setup that breathes right, as do most of us.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macon View Post
This.

I've seen 900rwhp/1000+tq on dyno's without so much as a hiccup. You will be much better off with a chip from a good place, TW and PHP come to mind. There are other options of course, but a chip is better. I'm only putting out 310/647 on my 65DD tune, but my truck didn't so much as settle once the great guys at PHP tied it down.

Live tuning is a wasted effort until you start doing serious modifications. What you have is a stock setup that breathes right, as do most of us.
That ka for your reply. I know my dad used to run an Edge Juice with Attitude stacked with an Edge Evolution and it drove and ran great only problem was WAY too much smoke for me. I need a good programmer for around 100-110 horse with hardly and smoke output
Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMcKinneyStrokin View Post
That ka for your reply. I know my dad used to run an Edge Juice with Attitude stacked with an Edge Evolution and it drove and ran great only problem was WAY too much smoke for me. I need a good programmer for around 100-110 horse with hardly and smoke output
stacking is not a great idea on a 7.3L.... trust me i know first hand...

if you want just a great hand held tuner i recommend this: http://stealth-automotive.com/index....roduct_id=1809

Custom tunes pre programmed to a hand held unit....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.