need help with this..chip..tranny..wicked wheel? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help with this..chip..tranny..wicked wheel?

I got the 66337 filter and it does spool up much faster and did help a lil on response but the biggest thing i noticed is it can be pretty loud at times but I am one to love that.lol
ok so i ordered guages the other day and should be here tomorrow..i got 35 psi boost..1500 egt...and a trans guage...did i make the right choices?
now I am wanting to order my php hyra chip but I am wanting the whicked wheel and new valve body..so im guessing i need to get those first???
and i have heard to get a coupled different wicked wheels so which one is best????
but of coarse today I notice that at the front of my trans it is now leaking so who knows...I got to check that out before I order anything eles.
thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The gauges you picked are the right ones, you can purchase a WW when you order your Hydra. PHP has both for purchase, and if your looking into a valve body John Woods is the one too buy.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
The gauges you picked are the right ones, you can purchase a WW when you order your Hydra. PHP has both for purchase, and if your looking into a valve body John Woods is the one too buy.
yep...
Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Premium Member

right choice on guages, i ordered the 60 psi thinking i was going to be pushing 40 lbs of boost with the 2nd gen wicked wheel, but I have not hit more that 28 psi with a boost fooler so during normal driving the 60 guage bearly reads... To my knowledge I have stock injectors and i have a 4"exhaust ts chip and the wicked wheel and i still have lots of smoke to clean up at hard acceleration on the highest hp tune, I think I would have been better off saving money up and upgrading to the powermax turbo. Now i have a stock turbo with 250k miles on it and a 250$ wheel in it and not enough air. Just something to consider... For all the work and trouble i went through changing the wheel id say swap the whole turbo for something thats fresh and you know is capable of big power.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

alrighty thanks guys and yea I know I wont be needing a 60 psi guage lol
yea I thought about going with bigger turbo and injectors but im not really feeling the whole thing of new tranny and mine has been on the edge evolution programmer for about 45k miles and used to throw trans fluid out the top when towing because of it getting too hot so I put a 6.0 cooler on it and it hasn't done it since but it still has me worried knowing that it got that hot..another reason for the gauges.lol
im just wanting to make it wake up a lil more..i know its a 7.3 but I was just wanting something to help it out..and I personally think my truck shifts slow
so is a johnwood valve body really what I need? im not wanting to get crazy here just wake the truck up and keep it good and reliable
Old 08-28-2013, 03:37 PM

the hydra will give you better shifts.
i would install the chip and see if you like how it shifts.
if it still has a little flare or isnt as firm as you would like, get a bts/john wood valve body. this will quicken shifts and make them more crisp.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

that's what I have been thinking about doing but what would I have to do if I got the chip and then wanted a valve body...like how do I get the chip reprogrammed to know?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Just want to introduce myself!!

I am Jay from PHP

If you have any questions the knowledgable guys on here can't answer, feel free to give me a shout via PM

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-28-2013, 06:41 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STECKSTROKE1999 View Post
right choice on guages, i ordered the 60 psi thinking i was going to be pushing 40 lbs of boost with the 2nd gen wicked wheel, but I have not hit more that 28 psi with a boost fooler so during normal driving the 60 guage bearly reads... To my knowledge I have stock injectors and i have a 4"exhaust ts chip and the wicked wheel and i still have lots of smoke to clean up at hard acceleration on the highest hp tune, I think I would have been better off saving money up and upgrading to the powermax turbo. Now i have a stock turbo with 250k miles on it and a 250$ wheel in it and not enough air. Just something to consider... For all the work and trouble i went through changing the wheel id say swap the whole turbo for something thats fresh and you know is capable of big power.
You have a boost leak. Check your uppipes for leaks. I was hitting 30 on a stock turbo with the first gen ww and stock injectors and good tuning.

And just so you know, a powermax is for a 6.0 not a 7.3......

To the OP, id get the hydra chip. Then see how the trans shifts. The ww2 will help you keep surge down and add boost and hp. You did good on the gauges

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 08-28-2013, 06:43 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

And a larger turbo isn't going to function well unless you have the fuel to spin it. You won't see much power increase at all. You will see decreased mpg, hotter egts, turbo lag and a thinner wallet

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.