Some info about PHP Hydra please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some info about PHP Hydra please

Looking at my first chip. Looking seriously at the new PHP Hydra, like everyone else is.

I have heard good things about DP aswell. I like the free reburns for life part of it and I have heard that the transmission tuning from DP is top of the line.

As for the Hydra. The price is the number one pro for me! I also love the fact that tunes can be emailed, and has the digital switcher like DP does. The ability to have other companies tunes loaded onto your Hydra is also nice too.

Sooo... For $425 you get the Hydra with 17 tunes emailed? How are well do these work with the 4r100? shift hard, soft, firm? How is the smoke output? hopefully low on the tow/eco tunes, but lots of power and a little puff on the 120/140?

If I don't like the PHP tunes, I can buy tunes from swamps or gearhead and then choose to overwrite any 6 PHP tunes? How about the color of the digital selector. Im going to a blue interior lighting scheme, so do they offer it in different colors like DP does?

Thanks Guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 06:47 PM

The Hydra is the best bang for your buck, DP is a great tuner also. You simply can't get as many tunes for $425, DP the more tunes you pick the more the price increases, I can only speak about PHP tunes. Yes, you can load others tunes onto the hydra, my mileage has increased by over 1mpg. Who wouldn't want more power and fuel mileage.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:59 PM

Look at the info posted on PHP's site for the hydra... I think you are confused as to how it works...

You pick the tunes you want to load on it, from 1 to 17...

You can also get tunes mailed to you from any tuner you want (save DP...)...

PHP has been tuning longer then ANYONE in the 7.3 market.

His trans shifting is some of the best I have run.

I have to say the best tuning I have run thus far is No Limits...

Yes, I have run DP, and would never run there tuning again. On anything... up to and including a lawnmower.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 AM

From what I understand it depends on your PCM code as to which tunes will work on your truck. As far as I understand not all tunes will work on all PCM codes. Would be surprised if all tunes work on an OBS truck.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:02 PM

Thanks guys, how is the smoke output? I like the smoke to be low - none on the daily tunes, but also want to be able to show off to a couple friends on the 120/140 tunes when my foot is in it.

How about the colored hex display? different colors available, or just the red?
Old 09-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Premium Member

Smoke is all but non-existent on the economy tunes. A light haze at full throttle, non-boost launches; no smoke when you drive politely. There is considerably more smoke on 100/120, however, it only smokes until the turbo catches up, then it's a light haze again. And like the DD tunes, I don't notice smoke on 100/120 when I drive nice. Economy gains were close to 4mpg for me.

I can't speak for the Hydra itself, as I have the Phoenix, but the tunes are the same.

Last edited by Macon; 09-03-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 09-03-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter379 View Post
Thanks guys, how is the smoke output? I like the smoke to be low - none on the daily tunes, but also want to be able to show off to a couple friends on the 120/140 tunes when my foot is in it.

How about the colored hex display? different colors available, or just the red?
My display is red, and I don't think there is an option like with DP.

As far as smoke, the only time I've seen smoke is in the really hot tunes, and that's when I'm hard on the throttle, but it's not much anyway, and I don't drive the truck like that. I love the 80HP daily drive tune, extra power and fuel mileage.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44 AM

Well, for me...I ran a DP F5 for a couple years and then switched to PHP Hydra and couldn't be happier. The DP-Tuner made my truck louder then hell, which was normal according to DP. The shifting was great when not towing but sucked while pulling heavy loads due to the way the chip managed the TC lock up....I mean when shifting 2-3 on grades with my 5th wheel in tow it felt like the drive shaft was going to snap in half, scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. I had to manually shift the damn thing to compensate and that was just stupid. Oh and I tried for two years to get the tuning corrected but according to DP it was never their tunings fault, it was the driver or the truck. Well, luckily for this horrible driver and his junk truck, since switching over to PHP I have had zero problems. I now have a quiet truck with excellent power and great shifting whether I'm towing or not.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Macon- Which tunes do you see the mpg increase? Just got a phoenix and am still testing. Throttle response and smooth shifting have been great.
Thanks.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

All of them. I was in 65DD and still driving like an old man until I got gauges, and that has gained me the best mileage. However, with enough gear on the bed to hit the overloads, I had better mileage in 100perf than the DD. **I need to edit my above post. I have 100 and 120, not 120 and 140. I keep it in 100perf most all of the time now and still get better mileage than stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.