keep 7.3 or go 12v? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 06:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
keep 7.3 or go 12v?

I'm to the point that the next performance mod is going to be a big hit. Injectors, turbo, and HPOP are all big steps. The truck has 277,xxx miles on, so am I getting a balanced hp to $ ratio by keeping the 7.3? Or should I go with a 12v, rebuild it and have a brand new motor in the truck for a little more cost than building the 7.3?
BTW my best friend is a diesel mechanic so labor is just lunch and 12 pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 06:10 AM

Is there anything wrong with the motor other than the mileage?? And I'm lost on the term "12v", these days it's way less $$$ too rebuild then buy a new $60,000+ truck, plus the headache's of the DEF crapp If I could afford about 2 or 3 thousand $$$ I'd have a brand new truck.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:20 AM

The motor is flawless, I absolutely love this truck and will pull anything I throw on it. My parents bought it new and I bought it off them so I know it's been well taken care of. The only reason I'm flirting with the idea is the fact that I want to be between 4-450hp, reliable, and still be able to pull without the pyro gauge acting as an rpm gauge.
(12v means 12 valve cummins)
Old 08-15-2013, 06:58 AM

seen a threrad, where the member..(a VERY reputable person), with 160/100, everything else is stock, banging at 408hp. All in the "tuning"..

Have you been to the 12v side of the forums, and read a few threads? Isnt the vp44 a 2k drop also?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:01 AM

Well a 12V will put out some nice numbers for less money (when compared with the 7.3). A Ppump 12V, a compound turbo setup, some decent sticks, and it'll be a monster and can be done on stock internals.

Only problem I think you'll run into is the swap factor and making everything work. You need to decide which tranny you'll use. If you stick with the 4R100 you need a controller for it, then you need to adapt some sensors so the gauges work, engine mounts fab, tranny to engine adapter, etc.

Sure the 12V might be cheaper up front in regards to price to make power, but to put it in your truck will be fairly costly.

I think you can easily make 400-450HP reliably with your 7.3 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Have you been to the 12v side of the forums, and read a few threads? Isnt the vp44 a 2k drop also?
The VP44 is a 24V, the 12V 94-97 is a Ppump/mechanical injection.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeluver43 View Post
The VP44 is a 24V, the 12V 94-97 is a Ppump/mechanical injection.
, well dip me in honey, and throw me to the lesbians. What then is there to the 12v, that has a high price tag to it...parts, upgrades..etc?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.3powerstroke2000 View Post
I'm to the point that the next performance mod is going to be a big hit. Injectors, turbo, and HPOP are all big steps. The truck has 277,xxx miles on, so am I getting a balanced hp to $ ratio by keeping the 7.3? Or should I go with a 12v, rebuild it and have a brand new motor in the truck for a little more cost than building the 7.3?
BTW my best friend is a diesel mechanic so labor is just lunch and 12 pack.
Does your 7.3 need a rebuild? How much power are you looking for? If your engine doesn't need a rebuild then your ahead with the 7.3.

One thing to consider, swaps are a bit like home renovation projects... they almost always cost more and take longer than you think. But you can get exactly what you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Is there anything wrong with the motor other than the mileage?? And I'm lost on the term "12v", these days it's way less $$$ too rebuild then buy a new $60,000+ truck, plus the headache's of the DEF crapp If I could afford about 2 or 3 thousand $$$ I'd have a brand new truck.
A 12 Valve (12 V) is the Cummins engines used by dodge from 1989 to early 1998. The 1994-early 1998 12 P7100 pumped Cummins is considered the small block chevy of diesel performance. Lots of bang for your buck.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Have you ever drove a dodge before? Honestly that alone i would stick to the 7.3, I had one and my buddy has had a few and i just didnt like the ride and everything in the interior is just crap and breaks if you look at it the wrong way.

I like the cummins, never really been around one much but either way your gonna be paying to get the cummins where you want. Since you have a vehicle that you personally know pretty much its whole life thats priceless. A lot of guys dont have that luxury. Plus on top of that unless you have a 12v already lined up good luck getting your hands on one that isnt already beat to hell or they want a million dollars for.

Personally I would stick with something i know already and hasnt let me down over the potentially unknown but its your truck bud you gotta make that decision yourself

Edit just realized you meant a cummins swap
Old 08-15-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
, well dip me in honey, and throw me to the lesbians. What then is there to the 12v, that has a high price tag to it...parts, upgrades..etc?
LOL that is an awesome line right there. Wish I could "like" your post haha

There are a lot of "free" hp mods you can make to the Ppump 12V - remove the fuel plate (allows the pump to basically fuel as much as possible), adjust the wastegate (basically similar to our Red Line wastegate mod) which will add more boost to the HX35, and tune the AFC (Air Fuel Control) and timing as well.

Then you get into modifying/buying parts - Upgrade injectors $1000+, buy some new DV's (Delivery Valves), Turbo, and of course most will do an Airdog or Fass fuel system to keep the fuel up to snuff.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 AM

Problem with a P pump motor is... If its set up for 500hp, its always at 500hp. Its 100% a mechanical motor. Three wire hook up to power it... There is no chip to turn down...

If your going to go to a cummins set up, then just do it right, fork out the money and do a CR swap.

Myself, for a 400-450hp build...

Modded H2e.
230/100 injectors.
Stock oil.
Fuel system to support (nothing wild needed)...

And a set of studs.

Done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.