Chip vs Programmer - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chip vs Programmer

I already have a Tony Wildman Chip in my truck, so I'm starting this thread for a friend. He's thinking about getting a 7.3 and hasn't had a chipped truck. His question is, what's better for the 7.3, a custom chip, or a programmer like the SCT? Which do you guys prefer and why?

I love my TDP chip, but it'd be nice to know what is better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 7.3L F350 Crew Cab, Long Bed, Dually.

Modifications: aFe Stage 2 CAI, 4" Flowmaster Exhaust with 7" Tip, XDP Compressor Wheel, Foil Delete, Glowshift MaxTow Gauges (Boost, EGT, and Pyro), and Tony Wildman 6 Position Chip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-14-2013, 11:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I chip is far better on a 7.3...

Period.

There is no why to this question, its just a fact.

01 F-250 SC PSD,320k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Hydra chip-No Limit/Gearhead tuning, Swamps HVHF IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe

DYNOPROVEN.COM, PERFORMANCEINJECTIONSYSTEMS.COM and RIFFRAFFDIESEL.COM
post #3 of 25 Old 08-15-2013, 12:14 AM
FJuanfiddy mod

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
With a 7.3 get a chip. No question

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Email:

2011 F150 Ecoboost Crew cab lariat. Custom tunes from KEM and 5Star, and Unleashed
2012 F150 Crew Cab Ecoboost stock for now-Totaled March 12 2015
2006 F250 ECSB Lariat 4x4

Leveling kit, 315/70/17 Kelly TSRs on Method race wheels
ARP studs and OEM gaskets done by Renegade Diesel
ECM and Atlas 40 FICM tuned by Bill at PHP SCT tunes by Truck Source Diesel. Gearhead, Innovative, Wildman and Tyrant diesel
Flowmaster/MBRP Hybrid Exhaust
Edge Insight CTS
Coolant filter
Bulletproof diesel FICM EGR Delete, Oil Cooler and Water Pump, and Light bar.
Dually LED lights from Stealth Automotive/Xpedition Outfitters
No Limit Fab 6.0 Cold Air Intake

post #4 of 25 Old 08-15-2013, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
I third their opinions!

i had a superchips until i could afford a php pheonix. the php chip is far superior.

99.5 f250 7.3 4x4 260k FF 160/30, PHP Hydra, S&B CAI, 4" Exhaust, RR Billet Wheel, Autometer Gauges, Transgo, Non-Ebpv Pedestal, High Flow Outlet, 08 Tow Mirrors.

Dad-2000 7.3 4x4 110k miles, Autometer Gauges, Superchips 1705, 6637, 4" Exhaust, BD Billet Wheel, TruCool Max
post #5 of 25 Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I have the hypertech programmer, my van akan chip will be here soon!
post #6 of 25 Old 08-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

chip.End of subject
post #7 of 25 Old 10-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Tyere are many threads in this subject but this is the most recent thread. I didn't want to start a new thread but I am still asking the same question. Everyone says chip but they don't state the reason why. I just left my mechanics garage and he told me to look for a programmer because a chip takes over the system and a programmer modifies the system. I realize that all the best rated tunes out there are placed on chips, and programs like superchips and edge juice suck! Why don't the guys selling us tunes use programmers? Exactly what advantages do these guys have by not going through the OBD port? What parameters are opened to change by using a chip? My mechanics reason for wanting me to go with a programmer is because over the past 20 years servicing fleet trucks and diesels at ford, most of the problems were caused by chips and non-motorcraft injectors (this deserves its own thread and I'd like to discuss it at a later time).
post #8 of 25 Old 10-15-2015, 06:24 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
I have a Tony Wildman chip. I guess it's a chip, it was on the truck when I got it so I'm not sure. It has a 6 position switch on the dash. I'm thinking of changing to something else as I have to drive it on the "Stock' setting all the time because it's so touchy (even on the daily driver setting) that when I pull out I'm nearly spinning tires no matter how light a foot I have. I drive like there an egg between my foot and the pedal, but it doesn't matter it's just way too touchy.
Do you guys that have Tony Wildman chips have this problem too?

Ordered Sept 26: 2017 F350 CCSB King Ranch 6.7
2002 F250 ECLB, XLT, 7.3 PSD, 4X4, Auto, TW 6pos. Tuner, 4" SS Exhaust, Britebox, EZ Down tailgate assist, Rear Air Bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Wicked Wheel 2, Corey's HPX, Dieselsite Water pump w/built-in filter, 203 degree thermostat, Max A/C assist, Oil drain valve, Non EBV pedestal & Flange, S.S. bellowed up pipes, Dieselsite Lifetime Rad. hoses & Intercooler hoses, New oil cooler, CTS Insight monitor,
post #9 of 25 Old 10-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Hate stupid people

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC2 View Post
I have a Tony Wildman chip. I guess it's a chip, it was on the truck when I got it so I'm not sure. It has a 6 position switch on the dash. I'm thinking of changing to something else as I have to drive it on the "Stock' setting all the time because it's so touchy (even on the daily driver setting) that when I pull out I'm nearly spinning tires no matter how light a foot I have. I drive like there an egg between my foot and the pedal, but it doesn't matter it's just way too touchy.
Do you guys that have Tony Wildman chips have this problem too?
You have a TS style 6 position chip. Tony has his tunes on that style of chip so the knob can click through 6 various settings.
And yes, sometimes some of his tunes have a touchy throttle.
I ran his tunes for a few years. Went from stock to 550 hp and loved them.
Sometimes it was frustrating having to wait, but that was when his daughter was sick and then passed.

Illiana Strokers DICtator
EFI Live tuned 6.7
97 F350

post #10 of 25 Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Yes, I read that story and was moved. I can't imagine the hurt and sorrow that man went through.
If you don't mind me asking (I'm ignorant in regard to this) why the chip is called a "TS"?
Also, is there something that can be done with this chip to calm it down a bit. I'd like to keep it, but it's pretty much useless to me other than to turn up to pass someone quickly, and warming the truck up on high idle.

Ordered Sept 26: 2017 F350 CCSB King Ranch 6.7
2002 F250 ECLB, XLT, 7.3 PSD, 4X4, Auto, TW 6pos. Tuner, 4" SS Exhaust, Britebox, EZ Down tailgate assist, Rear Air Bags, 6.0 trans cooler, Wicked Wheel 2, Corey's HPX, Dieselsite Water pump w/built-in filter, 203 degree thermostat, Max A/C assist, Oil drain valve, Non EBV pedestal & Flange, S.S. bellowed up pipes, Dieselsite Lifetime Rad. hoses & Intercooler hoses, New oil cooler, CTS Insight monitor,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode