PHP Phoenix economy gains? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PHP Phoenix economy gains?

My truck is a 2000 F250, 2 wheel drive, 6 speed manual, running 265/75's for rubber and is bone stock except for the gauges.

I am looking at the PHP chip and would like to hear what experiences people have had with the economy settings on that chip.

I don't have a heavy foot and looking towards this chip for both the economy and tow setting.

What are the milage gains that people have had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 11:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the Hydra with almost every tune I want, I'm running the following tunes.

25,65hp tow
65,80hp daily drive
80,100 performance
120hp race
stock
75hp sipper ( didn't like)

I'm not into trashing on my truck, I take it really easy, also I need a JW valve body because I'm getting a hard shift from 1-2 so I don't want to do any damage to my tranny. I usually keep it in the 80hp daily and have seen my fuel mileage go from around 15.2-15.5mpg to almost 17mpg (16.8mpg) too be exact.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So, with my 6 speed manual instead of an auto, I should be able to add 1-2 mpg (if I'm lucky).
Is your truck a 4x4 or just rear wheel?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajain View Post
So, with my 6 speed manual instead of an auto, I should be able to add 1-2 mpg (if I'm lucky).
Is your truck a 4x4 or just rear wheel?
2WD

But sometimes I kick myself in the arsh for not getting a 4X4
Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow, that seems low for a 2wd.
This truck is still new to me and have not gone on any trips with it yet, but I am basing the mpg on my last truck.
it was a 1995 PSD, 2wd, 5 speed with leaking up pipes and it was getting 18 - 19 at 70 mph.
Am I looking forward to lower mpg with this newer truck?

I have seem people with a similar truck to mine claiming 22 - 25 mpg but can't find those claims when I looked for them again.
Those figures would be nice, but they were probably in neutral, coming down the continental divide, with the a/c off. lol
Old 08-14-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
This truck is still new to me and have not gone on any trips with it yet, but I am basing the mpg on my last truck.
it was a 1995 PSD, 2wd, 5 speed with leaking up pipes and it was getting 18 - 19 at 70 mph.

I have seem people with a similar truck to mine claiming 22 - 25 mpg but can't find those claims when I looked for them again.
Those figures would be nice, but they were probably in neutral, coming down the continental divide, with the a/c off. lol
That's a combo of highway and stop and go, but for me the only time I will see over 17mpg is on a long road trip and if I keep it under 75mph I will get just over 18mpg. I live in NE Georgia and it's not real flat
Old 08-15-2013, 03:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I don't even bother figuring up the city mileage. It will need to be filled no matter what the mileage is in town.

But I am in Carlsbad, NM for work and my home is 750 miles one way and that is when I calculate my milage. There is the divide included in that drive.

When I first got the truck, I topped it off and I drove 620 miles on one tank and the fuel light wasn't on yet. It calculated at around 18 mpg if I remember right, but I made 2 trips to lubbock with that tank also with a lot of around town driving. It's flat drive to Lubbock, but a gradual climb the entire way.

With the Hydra chip you have, did you notice any increase in your mpg with the daily drive modes? Why didn't you like the sipper mode?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
I don't even bother figuring up the city mileage. It will need to be filled no matter what the mileage is in town.

But I am in Carlsbad, NM for work and my home is 750 miles one way and that is when I calculate my milage. There is the divide included in that drive.

When I first got the truck, I topped it off and I drove 620 miles on one tank and the fuel light wasn't on yet. It calculated at around 18 mpg if I remember right, but I made 2 trips to lubbock with that tank also with a lot of around town driving. It's flat drive to Lubbock, but a gradual climb the entire way.

With the Hydra chip you have, did you notice any increase in your mpg with the daily drive modes? Why didn't you like the sipper mode?
750 miles 1 way

You must really love your job, I did see an increase in fuel mileage with the daily drive and performance, the sipper tune really felt like the truck was running real lean, and EGT's where just a tad higher. That's the nice thing abouot the Hydra, I can switch tunes just by hooking up my laptop.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:

The SD is heavier the an OBS truck, plus depending on your rear gear ratio you need to take that into account as well.

For highway runs, I believe PHP recommends the 100HP performance tune for best MPG's.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Considering the driving I do, I'm looking at the tow tunes and one performance tune.
I have found that most of the difference is in the shifting points for an auto trans, which has no bearing on my situation with the 6 speed.
Either way, I'm sure I wont regret getting the chip.
Thanks for all the input guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.