PHP tunes question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PHP tunes question

I have a php Phoenix chip and am going to send it in for a reburn and going to change the tunes I have. I am wanting opinions on the whisper tune and the 140 extreme. I have the 120 race now which I use when not towing and have been seeing pretty good mileage out of. If I get the extreme I will not be hard on the truck all the time but I am wondering if I will see better mileage than the 120 race and also if the shift pattern is different. As for the whisper tune I have read mixed reviews, so just want to know who likes it and who doesn't. New tunes may be stock, 65 tow, 80 dd, 100 race, 140 extreme and whisper. Opinions??
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013, 06:12 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have the Whisper, it drops the idle significantly but really hasn't made the truck quite enough to use at the Drive-Up Window for me It's better, but I still had to shut the engine off to be understood...

I don't have any Race/Extreme tunes so, not of much help there.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:57 AM

Sounds good. Going to skip the whisper. Now just have to figure out the other tunes I want. I am for sure getting the 65 tow and 80 dd. Now just to decide the other tunes.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Got the whisper tune also from Gearhead but I never use it. I don't use the high idle either.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-14-2013, 07:33 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My highest Performance setting is the 80dd, it makes a HUGE difference over stock, the rest of my tunes are Towing in various weights.

I wanted to be conservative in my performance tunes, 80's really good enough and less likely to overtax the driveline/engine/trans
Old 08-14-2013, 07:52 AM

Very true.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 AM

I can't tell the difference in the performance and daily drive, but there is gotta be something alittle different. jay explained it too me that you will get better fuel economy because the truck is making more power, therefor it's easier for the truck too cruise down the road making it get better fuel mileage. My truck was getting around 15.2-15.5mpg, since the chip was installed I'm getting almost 17mpg (16.8mpg) so I'm more than happy, and even my wife said my fuel bill last month was the lowest it's been in a long time. But the whisper mode was kinda cool, but I don't go through enough drive up windows.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
I can't tell the difference in the performance and daily drive, but there is gotta be something alittle different. jay explained it too me that you will get better fuel economy because the truck is making more power, therefor it's easier for the truck too cruise down the road making it get better fuel mileage. My truck was getting around 15.2-15.5mpg, since the chip was installed I'm getting almost 17mpg (16.8mpg) so I'm more than happy, and even my wife said my fuel bill last month was the lowest it's been in a long time. But the whisper mode was kinda cool, but I don't go through enough drive up windows.
Since ur in AL you can gut the butterfly in your turbo exhaust flange and ID bet you'll get another 1mpg on the highway. I'm ave 17-18.5.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
Since ur in AL you can gut the butterfly in your turbo exhaust flange and ID bet you'll get another 1mpg on the highway. I'm ave 17-18.5.

OK, so can you tell me alittle more?? do you have a pic. of what your referring too???
Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM

hes referring to the ebpv valve located after the exhaust housing on the turbo
if you get a high flow outlet and non ebpv pedestal you dont have to worry about the ebpv actuator leaking ever. and makes less exhaust restriction.

the shift points for 140 and 120 hp are similar.
140hp just has a little bit of a touchier throttle ive noticed. slightly more power than 120hp race. my truck runs great on both, and it puts out almost no smoke from either tune.

unlike all the other edge idiots around town that barely touch the pedal and smoke the whole road. i just pass them smoke free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.