Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Wastegate actuator question.

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  gtspowerstroke 
#1 ·
I already have the red line unplugged on my wastegate acuator but I was wondering if I tighted the wastegate actuator a couple turns would it give me a few more lbs of boost? :dunno: I am just trying to squeeze a couple more lbs out of my stock turbo. :nod:

#2 ·
bump... Would it increase my boost pressure any with the red line already unplugged.

#3 ·
don't bother and hook the line back up. more boost does NOT = more power. I've seen it on the dyno more than once where someone hooks their gate back up and gains power and finds out they have better mileage as well. The turbos are only efficient to a certin point and after that you are heating the air more and not flowing any more.

#4 ·
I actually tried this after hearing all the hoopla about unhooking the wastegate. I ran it this way for about 2 days and come to find out that I actually lost 3-4 psi. The most boost I could get at WOT was around 14 psi. I hooked it back up and was right at 17 psi. Now after adding the DP tuner, I'm seeing 23 psi and have only got to 24 psi once, but that was really stomping on it through all the gears. I plan on adding the Turbomaster wastegate so I can get to my max boost quicker.

Chris

#5 ·
Did you plug the red line? If you just unplug it you will loose boost. I plugged mine on one of the inter cooler boot clamps and my turbo spools up a lot quicker and I gained a couple lbs of boost. I know that if I still have the red line hooked up and I tighten the waste actuator rod a couple turns I will gian a couple lbs but I was wondering will I still gain a couple lbs with it plugged?

#6 ·
Yes I plugged mine when I experimented and still lost boost.

Chris

#7 ·
hmm thats wierd... I know I gained about 2 lbs and my turbo spools up a lot faster.

#10 ·
Yeah I think I have the supporting mods you're talking about in my sig. Keep in mind, I'm only running with a DP 80e, and plan on adding more later after I get bigger oil, a turbomaster waistgate, and beans D66 (that'll be later on).

My brother-in-law is making the same amount of boost as me with a little less supporting mods in his '01 F250, and he runs the DP 60t, 80e, and 120r.

Chris

#11 ·
Forgot to mention, we both have slight leaks at the up-pipe flange, so that may be why we're running lower than most at the moment.

Chris

#13 ·
This is a perplexing topic, my truck with the stock turbo would easily hit 30-32 psi with the TS 140 tune and then later with the swamps tunes and injectors, when the turbo blew up I went with the D-66. It only makes about 25-27 psi boost but the truck seems to pull a lot harder and feels lots faster. Beans said to leave the waste gate hooked up on his D-66 and psi does not equal HP. He said it is normal for me to lose psi when going from stock to the D-66 but gain power. Pretty confusing.

#14 ·
Wow sounds like bean is starting to learn a bit about wastegates!

Pressure and flow are two different things. If you learn how to read a compressor map you will be able to see a little better how this works. Depending on the design of the compressor it can flow more or less mass at the same psi. On a turbo such as the stock one where once you start getting over 30 psi it's getting way out if it's efficiency range the extra boost is only heating the air up but not actually flowing more mass. You've reached the point of deminishing returns. As the turbo gets to this point it starts heating the air more which will make the same mass of air take up more volume which will make more psi but still has the same mass of air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.