Wastegate actuator question. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wastegate actuator question.

I already have the red line unplugged on my wastegate acuator but I was wondering if I tighted the wastegate actuator a couple turns would it give me a few more lbs of boost? I am just trying to squeeze a couple more lbs out of my stock turbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM

bump... Would it increase my boost pressure any with the red line already unplugged.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 PM

don't bother and hook the line back up. more boost does NOT = more power. I've seen it on the dyno more than once where someone hooks their gate back up and gains power and finds out they have better mileage as well. The turbos are only efficient to a certin point and after that you are heating the air more and not flowing any more.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Serving Our Country!

I actually tried this after hearing all the hoopla about unhooking the wastegate. I ran it this way for about 2 days and come to find out that I actually lost 3-4 psi. The most boost I could get at WOT was around 14 psi. I hooked it back up and was right at 17 psi. Now after adding the DP tuner, I'm seeing 23 psi and have only got to 24 psi once, but that was really stomping on it through all the gears. I plan on adding the Turbomaster wastegate so I can get to my max boost quicker.

Chris
Old 05-08-2008, 08:11 AM

Did you plug the red line? If you just unplug it you will loose boost. I plugged mine on one of the inter cooler boot clamps and my turbo spools up a lot quicker and I gained a couple lbs of boost. I know that if I still have the red line hooked up and I tighten the waste actuator rod a couple turns I will gian a couple lbs but I was wondering will I still gain a couple lbs with it plugged?
Old 05-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lords88 View Post
Did you plug the red line? If you just unplug it you will loose boost. I plugged mine on one of the inter cooler boot clamps and my turbo spools up a lot quicker and I gained a couple lbs of boost. I know that if I still have the red line hooked up and I tighten the waste actuator rod a couple turns I will gian a couple lbs but I was wondering will I still gain a couple lbs with it plugged?
Yes I plugged mine when I experimented and still lost boost.

Chris
Old 05-08-2008, 01:20 PM

hmm thats wierd... I know I gained about 2 lbs and my turbo spools up a lot faster.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvdenson View Post
I actually tried this after hearing all the hoopla about unhooking the wastegate. I ran it this way for about 2 days and come to find out that I actually lost 3-4 psi. The most boost I could get at WOT was around 14 psi. I hooked it back up and was right at 17 psi. Now after adding the DP tuner, I'm seeing 23 psi and have only got to 24 psi once, but that was really stomping on it through all the gears. I plan on adding the Turbomaster wastegate so I can get to my max boost quicker.

Chris
I would think with the DP tuner that you'd be hitting 25psi+
Old 05-08-2008, 02:15 PM
OperationSmile.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvdenson View Post
Now after adding the DP tuner, I'm seeing 23 psi and have only got to 24 psi once, but that was really stomping on it through all the gears. I plan on adding the Turbomaster wastegate so I can get to my max boost quicker.

Chris
You are only making 23psi? You have supporting mods right? Im making 35 with my tunes but mine done by Swamps.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yeah I think I have the supporting mods you're talking about in my sig. Keep in mind, I'm only running with a DP 80e, and plan on adding more later after I get bigger oil, a turbomaster waistgate, and beans D66 (that'll be later on).

My brother-in-law is making the same amount of boost as me with a little less supporting mods in his '01 F250, and he runs the DP 60t, 80e, and 120r.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.