wanting info one zf6 swap and other performance mods like chips - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 03:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wanting info one zf6 swap and other performance mods like chips

ok guys I have tried selling my truck for awhile now and looks like im stuck with it so I might as well do the things a always planned on to do soon and just ride it....
ok so my truck has had the edge evolution programmer on it for prolly 6 years or so and as most of you know it cooks trannys well I always just ran it on race and turned it to extreme for one day and felt the tranny jumping gears and just wondering and felt like s**t to be honest so I turned it back down asap and I also put a 6.0 cooler on it a couple years ago...well im really wanting to do the zf6 swap and just get it over with and id love my tuck a whole lot more..well ill be needing the links to some guys threads on here of some very well explained jobs guys have doen when doing this...and I got a guy who i have that's got all the parts i need he says but i want to make sure i got everything before i start taking mine apart...and is my tranny worth any??????i mean ive always babied it and it dont even slip it just messed up that one time a long time ago..
ok then another question is instead of buying a used clutch should i just go ahead and buy i stonger clutch like south bend or something????
all i plan on doing to the truck is putting a 66377 cai on the truck and a much better programmer like php or dp or something like that so id like to also know which one of those is best
so guys just give me your input on all of this if ya can
and another question i have stock exhaust pipe back to where the muffler was then just a straight pip up to 6 inch stacks...is that enough air or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You will need:

Tranny
Clutch pedals, and either modify your brake or swap them
PCM
New clutch, most of the southbends come with the flywheel.
Your truck is wired for the clutch safety switch, it's a grey flat connector with a dummy plug in it near the fuse box under the dash
Either the wire harness, or make your own for the reverse lights, and the other connector that I believe is neutral but don't quote me.
Standards have a different floor hump, so you'll need that.
My clutch master/slave system came with a new clutch switch which was nice. You buy them as pre bled units.

Next Monday/Tuesday look for me to do a swap thread, I'm about ready to do my own zf6 swap
Old 07-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah like he said get the wiring for the reverse lights and if you are swapping in a manual t case get the pigtail for that too. The hump is a lot different, I am really glad I was able to get the one out of the donor. Your carpet isn't going to fit perfectly but that's small potatoes.

If you can grab the column trim pieces, the gear indicator cover, and the little key push to remove button thing if you are like me and want it to be as factory as possible.

I had a complete donor truck to get all the parts from so that helped. I didn't have to do anything with my drive shafts except drill 2 new holes for the carrier bearing about an inch back from the stock ones. I went with a southbend clutch and love it.

One thing I will recommend is get the insulation from under the donor truck and put it on yours. I just ripped it all out and wish I hadn't now. Its a lot louder than I like. One of these days I'm going to dynamat it.

Mine is an 02 so it took a little bit of weird wiring and mine still isn't exactly right, I have to get a new pcm, having mine reflashed just isn't giving me the power I had before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.