best place for guages???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
best place for guages????

Hey Im thinkin of getting some guages for my truck, trans temp, EGT and boost, I'm wondering where the best palce to put them is??

Im thinkin of doin the pillar but i think it looks to race car-y, any one have guages on the pillar, wheres the most convienient place to put them??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Emergency Services

The pillar is the most common and in my opinion, the most convenient.

I, along with most people, recommend ISSPRO EV2 gauges. They are pricey, but you cannot beat the quality. I believe throroughbred diesel has the cheapest price on a kit.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:57 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'd say that if someone gets analog gauges... 90% of the time it's on the A-pillar. Simply because having the gauges at a location where you can quickly glance at them and look back to the road is key! Some guys put them around the steering column, above the rear view mirror, or mounted somewhere in the dash.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Riff raff has the f650 dash upgrade you can put in and have your gauges there

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 PM

Pillar.
But if I do it again, no analog gauges. Waste of time and money. Gonna go with a digital monitor.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:30 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't like the pillar either....

Besides looking "too race car-y" for a grown mans truck (I avoid anything that reminds me of "ricer" - windshield graphics/ 7" tailpipe/ 6637 filter/ that kind of stuff), it blocks your vision some. I chose over-the-mirror, bought IssPro from kensperformance. It came as a package gauges/pod/paint & primer and I couldn't be happier with it
Old 07-14-2013, 01:48 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Pillar.
But if I do it again, no analog gauges. Waste of time and money. Gonna go with a digital monitor.
Definetly best bang for you're buck!
Old 07-14-2013, 03:37 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
Definetly best bang for you're buck!
I completely disagree...

Digital monitors are bling for the App-Happy who know Much less than they should about this stuff They're neither Fish nor Fowl. They try to do everything but end-up doing a poor job of it All.

They're poor gauges (relying on the PCM's sensors for the most part. If you add real sensors the cost skyrockets), they are Not as easy to read unless you dedicate the entire display to just one gauge (dividing-up the screen makes them too small). They may give you a warm & fuzzy because you can monitor so many things but, they're mostly unimportant like pulse width, vacuum, and the like. GET REAL GAUGES AND SENSORS IF YOU WANT ACCURATE & MEANINGFUL READINGS!!!

They're a poor scanner with limited diagnostic capabilities and again, give you a feeling of false security in your diagnostic abilities. GET A REAL SCANNER TO HELP YOU DIAGNOSE YOUR TRUCK!!!

They, for the most part, contain poor "canned" programming/tuning. GET REAL TUNING FOR SAFE & PROPER PERFORMANCE OF YOUR ENGINE / TRANSMISSION!!!

There is NO FREE LUNCH, you save Very little with something like the EDGE once you add Pyro & Trans sensors. REAL Gauges-Tuning-AutoEnginuity is gonna run around $1,000. Buy it as you can afford it, the difference will be the best money you spend in the end because you'll have what you should have to do the job right

IMHO....
Old 07-14-2013, 04:05 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
I completely disagree...

Digital monitors are bling for the App-Happy who know Much less than they should about this stuff They're neither Fish nor Fowl. They try to do everything but end-up doing a poor job of it All.

They're poor gauges (relying on the PCM's sensors for the most part. If you add real sensors the cost skyrockets), they are Not as easy to read unless you dedicate the entire display to just one gauge (dividing-up the screen makes them too small). They may give you a warm & fuzzy because you can monitor so many things but, they're mostly unimportant like pulse width, vacuum, and the like. GET REAL GAUGES AND SENSORS IF YOU WANT ACCURATE & MEANINGFUL READINGS!!!

There is NO FREE LUNCH, you save Very little with something like the EDGE once you add Pyro & Trans sensors. REAL Gauges-Tuning-AutoEnginuity is gonna run around $1,000. Buy it as you can afford it, the difference will be the best money you spend in the end because you'll have what you should have to do the job right

IMHO....
If you can justify spending over a $1000 on gauges… go for it! I'd rather not have to tap into wiring harnesses (FICM voltage, VGT cycle, icp volts, IPR duty cycle). Not to mention that at all times I'm monitoring 8 gauges at the same time… show me pics of your analog gauge set up monitor 8 gauges and I'll be impressed… and laugh at your wasted time and money! Vehicles that are used as race vehicles can easily justify running $1000+ for gauges but a street driven truck. Ummmmmm….no!

Yes I understand that the ecm gives false readings on a few sensors because of a certain tune, but that doesn't mean that all readings are inaccurate. There is not many people that spend the kind of money you are talking about for analog gauges. The number one reason to get a monitor is so you can monitor ECT, EOT, FICM and so on. The readings a monitor gives is pretty dam accurate… only ones I can think that are NOT accurate are icp(when tuned) and boost numbers and all the other digital gauges are more than acceptable for the average Joe!

But then again… I like to feel all warm and fuzzy hahah
Old 07-14-2013, 04:28 PM

OEM sensors are real sensors. If they aren't reading right, there is an issue, that needs be addressed, and it's a good thing it was being monitored. If the monitor is getting bad readings, that means the PCM is also, and is not fueling properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.